Wednesday's Words on a Friday



The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.
The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by Margaret Adamson and friend Sue and can be found here.

This week's words are two well know phrases:

1. let the cat out of the bag
2. best thing since sliced bread



Here is my story:

We stowed the supplies in the boot and buckled ourselves into the front seats. Jasmine was so excited I thought she might explode. She carefully cradled the zippered carrier on her lap and turned shining eyes to me. “Can I hold her now Mum? Please please please?”

“Jas, we talked about this yesterday. It’s very unwise to have an unrestrained animal in a moving vehicle. You’ll have to wait until we get home.”

“But you didn’t even start the car yet. Just one little cuddle?”

“And if she jumps off your lap and runs under a seat or jumps up onto the dashboard so I can’t see through the window properly? No, Jas. Move your fingers away from that zipper. Do not let the cat out of the bag until we get home.”

I drove away from the welfare shelter and down Simpson street. “Look Mum, there’s that new bakery Honey Maxwell told me about. Her Mum thinks their chocolate fudge cake is the best thing since sliced bread. Can we go there for cakes next time you have an afternoon teaparty?”

Comments

  1. Mom knows best, and Jas will get her cake. Any cake that has the word "fudge" in it cannot be denied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; fudge cannot be denied, whether it is in cake or on its own. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. 'The greatest thing since sliced bread' is a phrase I use often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; I never seem to use it, instead I copy the kids and say "best thing ever".

      Delete
  3. What do you suppose the greatest thing BEFORE sliced bread was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; fresh baked bread that you could tear into with your hands.

      Delete
  4. Awwww......good advice about 'keeping the cat in the bag'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; thank you, definitely good advice when you're in a car.

      Delete
  5. A lovely story...warms my heart...the lucky kitty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I do like to warm hearts when I can :)

      Delete
  6. The three things little girls love . Chocolate cake, pussy cats and their mothers. oh and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a moving vehicle, it's definitely good policy to leave no cat unbagged. I hope they are able to have their cake, and eat it too, at the next tea party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; now that mum knows about the new bakery, there will definitely be cake :)

      Delete
  8. I recall my first pet, and I was happy since slice bread.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady (Dora); I recall my first pet, a ginger tabby who refused t leave the house when we moved so the next-door family kept him.

      Delete
  9. Nice little slice of life. I'm glad the little girl didn't let the cat out of that bag. A friend of ours... who does not like cats... told us a story about his misadventures taking his wife's cat to the vet. I dunno why, but the idiot had the poor cat "secured" in a pillowcase. While driving to the vet's office, the cat escaped and tore around the car and turned the fella's arms into ground beef. And THEN he had to try to get the poor angry cat back into the case. NOT fun... but the way he told the story was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart to keep cat in bag. I let my niece hold the cat and when I started the engine, the cat went berserk.

      Delete
    2. Susan and Arkansas Patti; I've heard many stories about cats in cars, some of them jumping out of the windows at traffic light stops. When we were kids, people didn't take their cats anywhere, but now I always have Lola safe in her carrier for her trips to the vet and we walk there since it is just around the corner and up the street.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs