Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, Elephant’s Child has been putting up a selection of six (or twelve) words which is called “Words for Wednesday”.

She had taken over this meme from Delores, who is gradually retiring from the blogging world.

This month the meme continues here, at Randomosity.
check at Randomosity for next month's participant.
Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write.   

Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music or an image.   What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...

Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog.  I would really like it if as many people as possible joined into this fun meme.  If you are posting on your own blog - let us know so that I, and other participants, can come along and applaud.
I’m hopeless at poetry so I always do a story.


It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:
1. subtly
2. formidable
3. shuddered
4. track
5. wisdom
6. gleaming

and/or:
1. scandalous
2. prissy
3. slippers
4. fancied
5. velveteen 
6. cad

Here is my story:


Pretending to be entranced by a deep blue velveteen gown and matching slippers, I glanced instead at the background reflected in the large window. In the shadow of the overhang of the opposite building, I saw the unmistakeable fedora and formidable shoulders of Detective Inspector Linton. He'd been subtly tracking me around town for a week now. Probably fancied himself a modern day Sherlock Holmes. 


I'd been a suspect in the scandalous murder of the supposedly prissy Flossie Baker and her current lover, that cad, Ben Magain. At one time or another, Flossie had given a tumble to half the men in town; Ben had been my fiance the previous year, but I had broken the engagement when I discovered he hadn't given up chasing anything in a skirt just because we were engaged to be married. 


I'd been seen in the vicinity of the crime scene, I'd been taken to the police station and interrogated. I shuddered at the memory.  I'd been let go when no one could prove I had even been inside the building, let alone Flossie's flat. I knew the fingerprints found there and on the gleaming Glock lying on the floor of the bedroom weren't mine and I'd had the wisdom to keep my mouth shut and mutely shake my head when asked if I knew anything about the gun or what Flossie and Ben had been up to. 


The gun was mine, of course, but I had never touched it without wearing gloves, the serial number had been filed off and the owner of the fingerprints would never be found. I'd picked him up in a bar the night before the murder and paid him a thousand dollars to do the deed.


He escaped the crime scene while I was being detained at the front door and as he drove away from town less than an hour later, his car mysteriously developed brake failure and flew over the edge of the highway down into the ravine where it exploded into a fireball and incinerated him. 


I felt a little smug as I thought about how I had engineered the whole thing and wondered just how long Detective Inspector Linton would continue to follow me around.

Comments

  1. Probably forever he will! You have spun a very entertaining mystery with great use of each word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sneaky little devil!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Which Ben should have remembered.
    And this woman is devious as well.
    Great take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I love where you went with this, River! Your gift for writing, and your use of the words is formidable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He deserved it. He had it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen S; welcome to drifting and thank you.

    fishducky; thank you very much :)

    Elephant's Child; I really had no idea where this was going until I started typing. Revenge is a dish best served cold :)

    Jacquelineand...; I like where it went myself, the words just poured out onto the page by themselves.

    Susan Kane; yes, he did and so did Flossie, that tart was as bad as Ben, him a skirt chaser, and her after anything in trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great little story, River. I had to read it quickly...and comment quickly because my internet connection has been dropping in and out all morning...and it's driving me insane! So when it all settles down and gets over its dose of the hiccoughs I'll read your story again...more slowly!

    I've spoken to a couple of people in Timbuktu about my problems with the internet...let's hope....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt hope has anything to do with it...!!!! The problem has continued throughout the day!

      Delete
  8. Lee; sorry to hear you're having troubles, I didn't know you spoke Timbuktu-ese :)
    Hope you liked the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story you have there. Well done..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, such a devious little mind! (Love it!)

    On an aside, I once had a blue velveteen dress, which I simply adored. It was actually more of a jumper, and I wore it over a white blouse. The song "Blue Velvet" was popular at the time, which made me like that dress all that much more. (Even though it came off the reduced rack at the five and dime... )

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wjiteangel; thank you.

    Susan; thank you. I always wanted a velvet dress, I would have settled for velveteen, but Mum preferred more practical wear for a tree climbing, beach going girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs