Sunday Selections

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.

Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.

If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


Back again? Nice to see you :)

here's that happy sun shining again

while the clouds continue heading east and south to hang over the hills

closer to the ground now, more little balls of sunshine: lemons in S's tree

flower buds on her sage



pots-in-waiting

her bluebells are out, mine will take longer, she is further west and gets a tad more sunshine daily than I do

bright red berries on the cotoneaster


I like this old square terracotta pot

now for something not so nice:

my favourite gum tree has been horribly butchered,

look to the right and see the two branch stumps facing the new house construction. They were reaching all the way to the scaffolding, with one of them inside a window frame. All they had to do was trim back those two branches :(

instead, this is all that remains of a canopy that once covered easily ten metres of sky, creating an ocean of shade below and being home to many small birds. I cried when I saw it.

let's finish with something prettier, a perfect pink rose.
.







Comments

  1. That poor tree! The lemons are amazing, and the rose is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; there are plenty of lemons about right now and roses are opening up absolutely everywhere.

      Delete
  2. Will that tree ever grow limbs again? There is no reason to butcher a tree like that - bastids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace and fishducky; short answer: no. See next week's post.

      Delete
  3. That lemon tree is very pretty, I'll bet the flowers smell so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh; I see what you did there, and yes the flowers were very sweet smelling.

      Delete
  4. I remarked this morning, our sky is pure winter. Nice to see yours so blue and full of spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; blue skies are very common out here, even through our winter. I am glad to see your summer finally coming to an end though.

      Delete
  5. I would have wept as well. Here, I suspect they just would have chopped it down.
    Love the spring shots, mourn the tree butchery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; you won't be happy with next week's post then :(
      My own bluebells are out now and the freesias, some of which have popped up in other areas of the garden, not just where they were planted.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes they butcher the crepe myrtles here, and it's sad, too.

    Lovely lemons and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; our street trees get butchered to allow for the power lines. I'm going to ask S if I can have a few lemons, the tree certainly has plenty.

      Delete
    2. That would be lovely, if your friend will share.

      My pics are up.

      Delete
  7. Blossoms have begun to appear on my little lemon tree. I spread fertiliser around the base of it during this past week. It's a very productive little tree...so I'm looking forward once again to a bumper crop once it starts producing fruit.

    I hope you have a hassle-free week, River...cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; will you make lemon butter or perhaps lemon meringue pies? Yum to both. Mmm, lemon tarts. Lola is being excessively cuddly lately, she waits on the arm of my recliner and the minute my bum is settled she's on my lap going to sleep.

      Delete
    2. No, River. I will, as I always do, squeeze them along with a couple of oranges, or just the lemons each morning. Fresh is best....I have freshly squeezed oranges along with a grapefruit, sometimes, two, added each morning. They are my addiction. :)

      Lola is a smart girl...she knows she's onto a good thing. :)

      Delete
  8. That's such a shame about the gum tree, though people really need to give more thought to where they plant trees that will grow very large. I wonder what variety of lemons they are, with the lumpy skin on the lemons. I have seen them in shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; the tree has been there a very long while, happily shading the old house on one side and a block of flats on the other. Now the new construction has taken its toll. I don't know what variety the lemons are, I just hope S will allow me to have a few.

      Delete
  9. I hate seeing trees cut back, too. It's tolerable when there's a vision or safety issue, but I wish people would think before they slash.

    I do like to see your spring flowers. I don't think we have bluebells here; I should Google that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; I dislike seeing trees cut back unnecessarily. I think bluebells grow just about anywhere, they are small white bulbs available at nurseries whenever your bulb selling season is on.

      Delete
  10. The power company here I think prides themselves on who can make the ugliest trees. I have some overgrown shrubs here threatening the power lines but that doesn't seem to be the same challenge for them. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; probably the shrubs are less likely to drop branches or topple over onto the wires in a storm.

      Delete
  11. Such a shame to butcher trees but hopefully they will recover. My brother was a tree surgeon and sometimes he had to "pollard" trees for the health of the tree and often got abuse because people thought he was slashing them for no reason!
    Around My Kitchen Table

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs