Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are again supplied by Delores and can be found here.
This week's words are: 

1. perfume
2. blanket
3. blue
4. market
5. voltage
6. feline

and/or:

1. exotic
2. throttle
3. oven
4. comprehend
5. toss
6. trespass

Here is my story:



How long had it been since that day at the market? She no longer knew. She barely remembered buying the new high voltage battery he’d wanted for the generator, also a new baking dish, hoping it would fit in the old wood fired oven.

Since then, every day was a blur, a dream like state she didn’t seem to be able to wake from. At night she would toss and turn, then the nightmare would begin again. Rising from the bed, she would pick up the blue blanket from the floor where it had been thrown. 
Once a favoured cover for their bed, it now smelt vaguely of the exotic perfume worn by that hussy, who, with feline stealth, had dared to trespass in her house. In her bed.

She could not comprehend how this had happened. 
That day, returning from the market, and finding the hussy's clothes strewn upon the stairs, she had wanted to throttle him for allowing it to happen, but as her rage built, she climbed the stairs to their bedroom with the bread knife in her hands. As they slept, closely entwined, she stabbed and stabbed, until her rage subsided and grief and exhaustion took over. 
She'd slept then, with them. 
In the bed, in the blood. 
And every morning since, with her mind broken, she would again rise from the bed, pick up the blue blanket, and holding it, wonder why it smelt vaguely of that exotic perfume.

She never looked back towards the bed, where the bodies still lay.

Comments

  1. Whoa...Sometimes I wonder about you LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; thank you. I rarely let the dark side get loose, I'm a happy person 99.9% of the time, but sometimes the words take me to unusual places.

      Delete
  2. Jenna turned the mixer on a speed that seem more like turning on throttle. She tossed the stuff and placed the pan in the oven. Although Jenna did not comprehend the ingredients, it sounded delicious. In an hour she pulled the pan out only to discover a stinking mess. Tossing it out the door, she discovered Bert trespassing into her tomato garden. The burnt disaster plastered all over him. Jenna felt a bit of joy, as he ran away screaming. Maybe the
    recipe would do for the the compost pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane: Trespassers will regret their ways? Seriously regret them.

      Delete
    2. Now, if the owner loaded a dbl barrel shotgun loaded with rock salt, the trespassers might think twice or more. Living out in rural areas, this was known to happen.

      Delete
    3. Ow, he learned a lesson, i am sure.

      Delete
    4. Susan Kane; an interesting take on the words. I wonder what was in the recipe?

      Delete
  3. This is sad, and clever and nasty. And believable. Maddened by rage. Literally maddened. A part of me finds myself hoping she never realises what she has done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I think you're right, she never realises. I might work on a conclusion for this.

      Delete
  4. this is a bit...scary, I didn't expect it. well done with the words.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lissa; welcome to drifting. Thank you, it is a bit scary, but 100% fiction.

      Delete
  5. Man, I imagine there would have been a lot of 'other' smell in that room that would blot out the perfume smell on the blanket. Yikes. When you take a walk on the dark side you go all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; definitely lots of other smells, but her broken mind can only focus on the blue blanket.

      Delete
  6. WOW! I was sure she was only destroying the blanket with that butter knife. You got me! I like being surprised like that. Even if it means a nightmare in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I don't see the point in destroying a blanket when the people who destroyed her marriage are right there sleeping. I hope this doesn't give you a nightmare.

      Delete
  7. Oh! Dear! 'Tis true! To the dark side you did venture!

    It's time to spread some fuel around and burn the whole place down, I believe. Leave not a trace behind for the forensic mob to find!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; her mind is too far gone to even think of destroying evidence. She never leaves the room anymore.

      Delete
  8. How awful, and sad, and i hope that when the police come calling (which they will someday), they see her mind is broken and take that into account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I'm picturing this in an isolated old farmhouse, so possibly the police won't come calling for quite a while. More likely someone who notices the "hussy" is missing and the woman hasn't been seen at the market for some time.

      Delete
  9. I sure hope it all works out. Didn't play this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady (Dora) it is a fiction story, so whatever works out depends on what my mind gives me.

      Delete
  10. Yowza! You really got me with this one. I did NOT see that ending coming. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; thank you. I think it needs a conclusion chapter.

      Delete
  11. A few days late and a few dollars short, I posted mine on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred Ratched; long time no see. I'll pop over in a minute.

      Delete
  12. Oh my, steamy drama riddled with bloody crime, wonderful story River.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy moly, did not see that coming. You flaunt it you pay I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; in some laces it doesn't pay to be a hussy.

      Delete
  14. Just read your story...remind me not to make you mad! I think she better get rid of the bodies pretty soon because the exotic perfume isn't going to cover the stench of rotting flesh. Loved your story and your imagination. Perhaps you should team up with Stephen King!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred Ratched; I know the bodies have to be got rid of, but first she needs to recover from the fog her broken mind is in.

      Delete
  15. wow. very dark, very well written, very disturbing. However, I must say I can relate to her anger and the madness it can create.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs