Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by ME and can be found right here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. shindig 

2. hootenanny 

3. shemozzle 

4. heiress 

5. banana 

6. barricade 

and/or: 

1. light 

2. tough 

3. coffee 

4. nightmare 

5. curved 

6. Christmas 

Here is my story:

I glanced towards the heavens and sighed deeply.  I wanted to go home, but I no longer had one. Every year I travelled to Earth for this thing called "Christmas", such a thing had never been known on my planet, I had seen it briefly on a sweep screen a few years ago and thought it looked like fun. I'd been coming here every year since, landing in a different country each time for the different experiences. This year was England. But my latest link to Home Screen had  showed a nightmare happening. My people running around in a panic as an out of control asteroid hurtled towards them. My home was reduced to space rubble within minutes. My family was now space dust.

I clutched my violin to my chest as tears poured down my cheeks. These were also new to me. Did the death of my planet mean I was now a proper Earthling with the ability to cry? I'd been a musician, well my whole family had been musicians, playing at every shindig and hootenanny, even a wedding or two. We had also played more sombre music at the funeral of that wacky heiress who had insisted her coffin be curved and coloured like a banana, after I had brought some home one year and she had loved them so much. 

I looked at the barricade separating me from the edge of the cliff leading down to the rocks below. There were clear signs warning people that leaning over too far could be risky, the rocks certainly looked large and capable of ending a life should one fall on them. I stared at them, not wanting to jump, of course, but thinking now how tough my life was about to become. I had my identity cards and papers, but they proclaimed me a visitor only, I had no real home here. Through my tears I searched for the light at the end of the tunnel, the one Earthlings were so fond of saying was always there. I could not see it. 

Turning away, going back to the village where the Christmas trees and decorations still were everywhere, I headed to the Coffee Cafe. Perhaps a hot cup of that frothy stuff they called cappuccino would help clear my mind. I called my Earth friend Eric on the "phone" and asked him to join me and told him when he arrived that I was now without a home to go back to. "Well, that's a bit of a shemozzle, isn't it?" he said. "Tell you what, stay with me a few days and we'll see what can be worked out. I know a few people in immigration."



Comments

  1. Aww how sad. Hope there is an answer for her. You really dished out some dilly words and did a great job working them all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; thank you. There's definitely an answer, but is the person male or female? Even I can't decide.

      Delete
  2. Aww poor alien, he's now a proper illegal alien. I sure hope Eric can find out some way to help. Well written, and thanks again for the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. Eric does help a lot, he has friends who know people who help with finding homes and getting people a fresh start.

      Delete
  3. I am glad that your poor alien has found a friend. And thank you for the hope that comes at the end of this sad story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you. Every sad story needs a glimmer of hope.

      Delete
  4. What a quandry! That's a good story, i hope he can make a good life here, although i know there's much from back home that he will miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you, he will definitely miss home, but I think he will learn to live well here on Earth. He already has friends from his many previous visits.

      Delete
  5. Glad they had a barricade from the edge. Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; most dangerous laces have some sort of barricade and he wasn't going to jump anyway.

      Delete
  6. What a bitter-sweet story! Glad the Alien found a friend. Give me a couple of minutes and I join you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; the alien has many friends after coming to Earth every Christmas for many years.

      Delete
    2. Glad he has. Oh, have you seen the movie with or by Louis de Funés with the aliens? They need oil to survive. They look like humans - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gendarme_and_the_Extra-Terrestrials) The Gendarme and the Extra-Terrestrials.

      And there is another where ... oh, it´s to laugh and cry. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cabbage_Soup)The Cabbage Soup. They fart a lot in this one ;-)
      But, as always it has a meaning, like in your story.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, no home it's sad. Pleasing she didn't land on those rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; I think it's a man alien. He feels like a man to me. He was on Earth for Christmas and now can't go home.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs