Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by David M. Gascoigne and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. illustrator 

2. judgement 

3. insignificant 

4. friend 

5. creative 

6. married 

and/or: 

1. myriad 

2. quilt 

3. product 

4. lip-service 

5. assemble 

6. bask

Here is my story: 

As an illustrator of children’s books, Kaylene often sat in judgement of her own work, tweaking this and that, in her quest for perfection. Continuity was the least insignificant part of her work. Children had sharp eyes, and details such as colour and settings must be the same for every page.

The myriad ways to draw a fairytale scene were kept in her creative mind in sections, much like the precut colour blocks of a quilt, and Kaylene drew upon these as necessary, pulling this style and that colour in order to assemble the final drawings. When one of these came together easily, Kaylene would complete the drawing and bask in its beauty.

Her new boss, Charles Ingram “the third” as he kept reminding everyone, didn’t have a clue when it came to the illustrations. He wanted the books, which he called “the product,” completed faster, into the shops faster, to sell faster, he liked seeing his accountant marching in with big smiles each week. Charles paid mere lip-service to Kaylene’s skills and she began to wish for a darker fairy tale to appear so she could take out some of her anger and misery in the drawings.

Stormy skies, dark trees, rocky grounds, wild and surging seas with flashes of lightning as the fairies waged war with their enemies, wielding swords and battleaxes like miniature Vikings, driving back the trolls, reclaiming their sunny lands. Kaylene imagined the colours, deep purples, shadowy blacks, grey rocks, with the golden shields and swords of the fairies slashing at the trolls, who all seemed to have faces just like Charles Ingram “the third.”

Breathing deeply to calm herself, Kaylene decided a coffee break was just what she needed, with a chocolate iced donut too, if there were any left. As she added milk to her coffee, Charles entered the break room and seeing Kaylene, introduced her to “my friend Arthur, and my wife, Christina.” Kaylene gaped briefly, snapped her mouth shut and smiled as she shook hands, then quickly left the room. Charles was married? To an actual woman? Christina had seemed happy, likeable even. Perhaps Charles was a different person at home than he was at work. 


Comments

  1. I really like this - and would like to learn more about Kaylene (and perhaps Charles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, but I think I've hit a wall on this one. For now anyway.

      Delete
  2. I have worked with men like Charlie III:) Jerks at work but they must leave it at the door at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I think he is just very new to the job and needs more time to get to know the business.

      Delete
  3. The one thing that caught my attention was the chocolate iced donut. Now I think I need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; I wouldn't mind one myself, it's been years since I had a donut.

      Delete
  4. Some people cut their sailcloth very differently in their different roles in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; and some need to study the pattern before they cut. Usually they learn.

      Delete
  5. A very clever, well written story again, I love it!
    How the art comes together, such a great idea of yours!

    Not on the creative path, but that happened to me, too.
    A terrible teamleader who had no idea of the job, treated me like a trainee. At one point I was 98% sure I have proof as e-mail he decided something else. For the 2% I let it go till I was at my PC - added the 2% and decided to make a cuppa tea first.
    A colleague saw my pain, we went into her office and it turned out the year before the whole team got up against him.

    Yet. He has a wife and a daughter!
    And when I left (back then "had to leave", now I think it was the best that could happen) he gave the most money for a good-bye-pressie.
    Some are just weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; thank you. I think some bosses just aren't meant to be the boss, they try so hard to "be in charge" they don't see what else needs to be done.

      Delete
    2. He could give, but not take critics. Just like my Brother!

      Delete
  6. I like that story. I think we all know a Charles Ingram (the third) and when getting to know his (or her) spouse, we wonder. How can such a nice person be married to that nincompoop?
    So well written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. There's probably a lot of Charles Ingram the thirds out there. And married to really nice people too.

      Delete
  7. Bob the illustrator waited for the court's judgement over what he considered to be an insignificant breach of copyright law. Co-incidentally, his friend, River, who was also a member of the creative community in Adelaide used to be married to the judge.

    A myriad of ideas bounced around in Bob's head as he waited for the judge to return. He thought of a quilt that could reflect the aboriginal experience or some sort of visual product that would pay lip-service to the work of Marie Tuck.

    The court began to assemble once more and soon Bob would bask in the glorious light of his innocence. He knew that River would also be very happy to receive the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP; Bob might not be quite so happy, copyright law should never be breached. He may have to write a note on his work, crediting the originator for the ideas. But no jail time.

      Delete
  8. Bugger! I spent several minutes working on my tale. It seems to have vanished. Is it in Spam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP; yes it was in spam and has now been rescued. I seem to be in quite a few spam jails, on other blogs.

      Delete
  9. I love your descriptions of the "anger and misery" drawings. I could see each one in my mind. You have a talent for evoking imagery with your words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs