Sunday Selections # 325

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.


Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.
If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.


Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


This week I just took a little walk down the street:

autumn has brought on a final flush of roses on a few of the bushes, this particular bush has just the one bloom, way up high. Scented too.

the next bush over has creamy pinks, this one just opening,

and this one in full bloom, ruffly and pretty, but showing the signs of cold nights.

my erigeron hedge is doing really well, apart from that one dead patch on the lower left there. I'll pull that out tomorrow, so next spring the new growth can close the gap.

the street trees have lost a lot of their leaves, I like the look of bare branches against the sky.

the pine trees across the road are still lovely and green as always.

the new growth on those peruvian lilies is twice as big now, I'm looking forward to seeing the flower cones.

this small leaf jade has something else growing through the middle of it, I'll keep watch and see if it flowers.

bright skinned oranges on a neighbour's tree, by the colour I'd say they might be Valencia oranges. They are so yellow I thought they were lemons at first. 
I could be wrong on both counts, these balls of sunshine might be grapefruits.

in the same garden, a Japanese cut maple is showing signs of autumn colour,

see the faint pinking of the leaves there?

and it's gum nut season again. If you enlarge the picture you'll see spiderwebs on the right hand side of the bunch. Just a few weeks ago, these were bright pink flowers.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Beautiful flowers. I think I might lean over and grab one of your neighbors orange/grapefruit from time to time. Never heard of gum nut, are they edible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh; you'd need very long arms, the orange/grapefruit is in the middle of the lawn, well away from any fences. Gumnuts are not edible.

      Delete
  2. It really is autumn there, I always see green - now I can see bare branches! Lovely flowers and fruit, whatever they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S.J.Qualls; we don't see a lot of bare branches and when we do it isn't for more than a few weeks before things green up again.

      Delete
  3. Love the garden/nature photos - as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved those roses. I included some on my post today too.
    I like bare trees filigreed against the sky too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; roses are always a delight. Bare branches can look like lace sometimes.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. only slightly confused; thank you, autumn is such a pretty time.

      Delete
  6. Roses are such beautiful flowers...I love them!

    Once a week for the past few weeks when I step out through my back door there waiting for me is a bag of grapefruit. A neighbour from up the end of this laneway has been giving me fruit from their trees. I never see the neighbours but I am enjoying the fruit. I'm going to make a fruit cake to give them in thanks for their generosity. (I do email my thanks upon receipt of each delivery). I've been juicing 3 or 4 each morning...lovely!

    I hope your week treats you kindly, River. Cuddles to Sir Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I love roses too, but have discovered I can't have the scented ones inside :( I don't like grapefruit, I think it's one of those acquired taste items and I never did get used to it.
      my week is hayfevery, everybody's garden mulch is breaking down and going mouldy, and I'm allergic to mould, so I have a permanent low grade headache above my eyes for the next month or so. Angel is very cuddly lately, hasn't bitten me even once this week.

      Delete
  7. Those roses are just such lovely looking blooms, one of my favourite flowers.
    So nice to see oranges growing too!

    I enjoyed my walk around with you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowcarb team member; oranges are beginning to appear in many gardens around here, lemons too and mandarins will follow. Most oranges won't colour until about July/August, so now I'm pretty sure these fruits are grapefruits.

      Delete
  8. Hey River, I just read a thing and thought of you. This sounds like something you might enjoy.

    http://rundlemall.com/the-grazing-trail/

    It is the kind of thing I would love, if I still lived there in Adelaide. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred; thank you, I'll check that link right away.

      Delete
  9. Very nice pictures, love the roses and even the web on the gum nuts, good eye River

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy; thank you. In spite of being cross-eyed, my vision is pretty good, the glasses are doing their job.

      Delete
  10. cooler weather brings some nice changes in nature.. so long as you can come inside and be warm at night.. thanks for sharing - I love the gumnuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna; welcome to Drifting.I love the changes and colours of autumn, even here in Australia where things don't get as vibrant as the colder countries up north.

      Delete
  11. ...lovely roses River and I don't like grapefruit either ..
    I love it when the leaves change colour ..
    Mum and I were given a bunch of flowers yesterday and there were 2 beautiful big pink lilies in it ... the lillies are outside because we can't have then in the house ... their perfume give me sore eyes and headaches .. but they do look great in photos .. xxxx
    Have a good day ... Barb xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara; I understand about the lilies, I'm allergic too. If you want them in the house you just need to cut off the brown pollen tip on the centre stamens.
    I love the changing colours of the leaves too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's neat about cutting off the brown pollen for those allergic.

    Great pictures, River.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs