Sunday Selections # 403

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.

Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.

If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


you might remember last week we were having lunch at the kiosk. After that, we headed to the gift shop near the entrance gates, we were on our way home.


inside the gift shop was this very pretty, large terrarium fairy garden, labelled NOT FOR SALE

there were bags of individual parts that could be bought to make your own garden and I bought a packet of these miniature toadstools

they came in other colours, but they had sold out

very pretty, yes?

Outside the shop, was a tall pole with security lights at the top, possibly they were cameras too, I can't be sure,

but they do look like they're "keeping their eyes on you"

a few more photos now of my favourite tree

LOVE the holes in the bark and trunk, places for fairies to live in

as some of you mentioned previously, it is indeed a Banyan tree also called a Strangler Fig

here is an upper section being "strangled"

the leaves


and a similar tree inside the gardens, while the others are outside the fence, possibly this is the same, but kept trimmed?

finally,  (away from the gardens now), a set of steep, narrow stairs that I recently climbed several times, helping someone get groceries upstairs. To the top floor.










Comments

  1. Clever, cleverly done. Fairy gardens!

    Trees are enticing, and this one meets that criteria. Oh, to be a tree climber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I used to be a tree climber and could probably still climb just not as high and getting down might be trickier, so I'll leave it to the younger ones. those that aren't attached to some hand held device.

      Delete
  2. Aha - so I was right - a banyan tree. What are you going to do with the mini toadstools?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; the mini toadstools are in a fairy garden of my own out in my closed-in back porch. I'll have to take a photo soon.

      Delete
  3. Love these excursions you take us on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the tree.
    And the toadstools.
    But oh, those stairs. I suspect once would have been more than enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I have to admit my knees and thighs did ache a bit going up, going down was easier.

      Delete
  5. Good morning, River. :) Years ago when terraniums were all the rage I had a couple of lovely large ones. The larger one had a buddha sitting in the midd of it...he soon became overtaken by the jungle therein!!

    It would take me a month of Sundays to scale those steps...and de-scale them..even the once!!! My poor old hips would be screaming at me!

    I hope you have a great week ahead...cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I remember a few terrariums I had, the biggest was a pyramid shape and did quite well, the others didn't last as long. I think I overwatered them. I was climbing those stairs quite slowly the second and third time, to be truthful we were carrying more than groceries; a few small household items were going up too. Lola is being very cuddly at night, sleeping in my chair while I watch TV, then getting in under the covers to sleep snuggled against my ribs.

      Delete
  6. I imagine good money could be made by selling fairy gardens like that! It's wonderful. Who could pass up a chance to buy some fairy toadstools?

    The stairs would be a nightmare for me, though I find going up easier than going down. Hick said he has a friend who goes down the stairs backwards, saying it's easier on his knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; that particular fairy garden wasn't for sale, but you could buy the parts to make your own. After all the hard work involved, I don't think I could possibly sell one.
      I can see how going down backwards might be easier, but for me I don't think so. I need to see where I'm going not where I've been.

      Delete
  7. Fairy gardens are fun, Grandma is still making them.

    At least going up and down stairs is good exercise, that's what i tell myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I love your Grandma's fairy gardens and would make some myself if I knew no none would steal them from my garden.
      I tell myself the same thing about stairs and use them in preference to an escalator if they are available

      Delete
  8. What a lovely terrarium. Makes me want to do better by my rather neglected one. Thanks for the boost.
    Those security lights are kind of scary looking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those bowls and those sweet things in them.
    Trees are always fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of creating a faerie garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The terrarium is delightful! I see your reply above that answers my question of what your plans are for your miniature toadstools. I'd love to see your pictures if/when you take them, as I love anything in miniature. My mother had a terrarium when I was growing up and it's one of the few things we rescued from my Dad's house when it was being sold. I'm not much for houseplants because the cats won't keep away from them, but . . . someday . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, LOVE that banyan tree. Talk about character!

    The fairy garden is awesome, too. I hope you make one for yourself, and if you do, show it to us, okay?

    Those steps? Um, forget it. That many steps and I don't get along well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs