Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Hilary Melton-Butcher and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. clawing 2. sunglasses 3. landscape 4. Grandee 5. anodyne 

and/or: 

1. descriptive 2. resilience 3. country 4. slice 5. finger 

and a few extra words: 

1. rainbow 2. coriander 3. falling 4. art 5. exhibit 6. sage

Also included is Charlotte's colour of the month: turquoise blue

I have not used all the words this time, but here is my story:

Clawing through the miscellaneous items in her big shoulder bag, Carol finally found the missing lens that had popped itself out of her sunglasses. Again. She popped it back in place and put the glasses on her face. Relief from the glaring sunlit landscape was instant. There in front of her was a blindingly white house large enough to be a castle and walking down the path to meet her was quite obviously the “Grandee” as her mum had told her. Her great uncle Sal whom she had never met until now. She’d seen photos, but in them he’d appeared much taller. There was no mistaking the full head of wavy white hair though. This was indeed Salvatore Balleri, the Grandee of Milona. Her Mum had told her Grandee meant nobleman, the title having been carried down through the family from the first Salvatore a few generations ago.

Carol waved away the cloud of dust left by the retreating taxi and walked towards the wrought iron gates to finally meet her Uncle Sal. He gathered her into a bear hug, exclaiming how much she resembled the women he had known and grown up with, he had photos to show her. “How is your dear mother?” he asked, taking her suitcase from her as they walked towards the house. “She is well,” said Carol, "and her words about your country were very descriptive, everything I see is exactly as she said it would be, yet she never came herself.” “We have exchanged letters and photographs for many years,” said Sal. “I know much about your England too, yet have never been there.” 

Sal pushed open the heavy carved wood doors and they stepped into the wonderfully cool interior. “Oh, this is so beautiful!” said Carol with delight. “Thank you,” said Sal. “The house and one small parcel of land is all that is left to us now. Over the years fields have been sold and others have houses there now where once there were great herds of cattle and sheep. The original land parcel was a gift to an ancestor, along with the title of Grandee, he saved the life of a King’s son or something like that. Lost a small slice off a finger in doing so, but resilience is great and he made do with just nine and a half fingers after that.”

Sal showed Carol which bedroom was to be hers for the duration of her stay and hoped that she might like to stay longer as there was to be an art exhibit a week after her planned leaving day. “I shall phone mum and ask if she can manage without me,” said Carol. “Perhaps our neighbour could keep an eye on things a bit longer, I do worry about mum falling again, she has only done it once, and wasn’t hurt, but it is something on my mind now.” “I shall leave you now to unpack,” said Sal, “and Carmen will come in a few minutes to show you the way to the kitchen for our lunch.” 

Carol thanked him and looked around at the spacious room, soft sage green walls, a rainbow of blooms in a vase on the desk, and the wide window framed a view of the turquoise blue water in the swimming pool beyond a stretch of green lawn.


Comments

  1. Now that sounds like a place to visit and relax. Kindly Salvatore Balleri - I hope there aren't going to be any unpleasant surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; maybe a few surprises, but nothing too unpleasant.

      Delete
  2. This is lovely - and I hope she can stay for that extra week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; things work out and she does get to stay.

      Delete
  3. I'd certainly want to visit longer, if the whole of the time passes as nicely as the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wednesday Words on a Friday always throw me off when I visit on a Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Shife; perhaps you could visit on Fridays instead?

      Delete
  5. Oh, this reminds me I need to take care I get new sunglasses before visiting your country....
    What a sweet story. They act as if they really already know each other.
    It´s like with working with Teams, Zoom, whatever. You are not really there, but if feels like that and yet it is something entirely different still when you finally meet in person - very well captured (what else ;-)..)
    I had this on Wednesday, when I physically went to ESE and met my Admin for real.
    Glad Carol can stay longer and attend the art-exhibit - looking forward to that adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; thank you and yes, get new sunglasses. I think Carol and Sal know each other well enough because of letters and photos sent between the families for years.

      Delete
  6. This sounds a bit too good to last, but I hope it is only suspicious me, I'd like to be proved wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; it is a holiday with family that she hasn't met before in person, knowing them only through letters and photos.

      Delete
  7. I was in my 50's first time I wrote in a taxi.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I don't remember how old I was, but never as a child I know that much.

      Delete
  8. I hope Carol will have a grand time with the Grandee, and gather more family tales to pass on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I think she will do both those things.

      Delete
  9. Oh the beginning of a new story. I wonder what happened to our "cavemen": But sometimes a new wordsmith send us in new directions. I hopr to see this continued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I will have to see where your words take me.

      Delete
  10. A DREAM
    I had the weirdest dream last night. A massive lizard was clawing at my sunglasses as I traversed a hot landscape accompanied by a Grandee from a noble Spanish family whose character was rather anodyne. His descriptive powers were as unimpressive as his resilience to the heat as we crossed that desert-like country. I threatened to slice off his finger if he didn't cease his endless grumbling.

    A rainbow appeared above a field of coriander just as I was falling off my donkey. I thought the scene would make a great art work which I might exhibit in The Sage Art Gallery by the turquoise blue River Tyne - recently visited by Andrew from Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; that's a weird dream and I had a weird dream myself recently where I was being forced to move from my flat to a different one simply because someone else wanted to live in mine.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs