Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. consider 2. second 3. sink  4. instinct 5. face 6. flash

and/or: 

my daughter always said she doesn't get mad she gets even. 

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: mouse grey

Here is my story:

My daughter always said she doesn’t get mad, she gets even, yet here she was, good and mad and banging dishes into the sink and slamming them into the drainer, with enough force for me to be thankful it was a load of metalware from this afternoon’s barbecue. 

My instinct was to take over and let her go off somewhere and cool down, but I thought talking it out might work better. I picked up a dishtowel and started drying the plates. Her tear streaked face turned to mine. “Why would anyone spread such vicious rumours about me?” she asked. 

I knew the rumours she spoke of and had an idea who began them. “Think for a second and consider the source,” I said. A flash of anger in her eyes told me she knew the source and was a little ashamed that she had let such drivel get under her skin. 

A glance at the kitchen clock showed plenty of time left and we finished up the dishes quickly. My daughter said she needed to go and sort this out right now, but if she wasn’t home in an hour could I please come to get her? “Of course,” I said and she grabbed her new mouse grey backpack and stomped out.


Comments

  1. It's too easy to let vicious words get under the skin and very hard to reflect before reacting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; it is too easy sometimes and it helps to talk it out when possible.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, we all try to live after "Sticks and stones. ..." but it's too easy getting hurt by words. I hope it ended up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I think words can hurt much more than sticks and stones, they get into your head and stay there.

      Delete
  3. Like Charlotte (MotherOwl) I do hope this ends well. And yes, words can hurt. Badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; a good ending would be great.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Dora; yes they do, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad.

      Delete
  5. A crabby daughter indeed R. Nice tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; not usually crabby, but something got under her skin.

      Delete
  6. I do hope she was able to settle it. The problem, of course, is you cannot call back the rumors once spread, someone, somewhere will almost always be left believing it was true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I think it all got settled reasonably well, though there might be some who won't forget, as you said.

      Delete
  7. LOL, I cannot remember I banged anything I was raised "old school"!
    A door maybe. Likely. I´m sure.

    Great story. My friend fK works the same with her twins (13 year old boy and girl).

    In "my" time... aw,well.

    Now I wonder.. will you reveal the cause of the frustration and tears?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was relieved to find that the mother was not the source of the anger. Maybe some of that energy was dissipated during the dish-slamming and stomping, and the matter can be dealt with without violence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs