Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. fraud 2. weak 3. unaware 4. wind 5. cope 6. morning 

and/or: 

1. fusty 2. prepense 3. clement

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: mouse grey

Here is my story, continuing the island holiday:

Early next morning, the older children wanted to take one of the rowboats out onto the water. Jack had declared the weather to be clement, with just a weak wind, so they should be safe to row along the stretch of beach inside the reef. Barry already had rowing experience, being on the school rowing team, so offered to take them out and teach the younger boys how to manage the oars. “We’ll take the smaller boat, it will be easier to cope with while you are learning, then if we all come back next summer we can take out two boats,” he said.

Knowing they were unaware how quickly and ocean storm could whip up, Jack told them all to keep and eye on the horizon and if they noticed any clouds darker than the fluffy white one currently in the sky, they should head back to shore immediately.  

“Light grey means come back in but no need to hurry, a darker mouse grey means come back in and don’t stop on the way.” The boys promised and loaded the boat with drinks and snacks, then pushed it into the water before jumping in.

The girls wanted to explore the fields beyond the cabins, Jack had told them about an abandoned cabin where an old woman used to live. He had begun clearing out the interior, “but there is still a fusty smell about it, so don’t stay inside too long, it will make you cough,” he said. "Better to just explore her flower and herb gardens for now.” The girls promised and loaded backpacks with drinks and snacks while Jack told them to also keep an eye on the sky. “Dark clouds means come back home quick, a torrential downpour isn’t something to be caught in.”

“I wonder if the old woman was a witch,” said Emily. “They often lived alone and grew healing herbs and such.” Marian said “ I remember a story about a lady in the next town from home who tried to make people believe she was a witch, she made them pay lots of money for cures and spells that never worked, the police called her a fraud and sent her to jail for a couple of years.” Charlotte wondered if they would be allowed to pick flowers and hoped to see some bees.

Comments

  1. Now, children being children, will they heed the good advice they've been given?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every village needs one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I remember a ramshackle cottage at the edge of my town when I was growing up, but an old woman still lived in it so I couldn't explore.

      Delete
  3. Bravo! I hope there will be a part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the girls will listen to Jack's advices while the boys will forget them but that's probably cliche but I think the old saying about girls being more mature than boys is true and yet, maybe it isn't for these girls.

    Good use of the prompts.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lissa; they all listen at first, but will they remember when the exploring and rowing are happening?

      Delete
  5. A simple picture: Morning was the worst, Clarence decided. The wind sweeps through the valley relentlessly, affecting the weak, those who were unaware of the dangers around them.
    Why? Clarence had no idea. He purchased his house from a fraudulent bank closure, and now he wondered if he could cope any longer.

    If he had known, had a clue, he would not be sitting in a house shaking in the wind. No, he was the victim of a prepence from the bank. The desired clement weather skirted around Clarence and the valley.

    The wind stayed. Sad Clarence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; this is sad, and I hope Clarence finds a way out of his dilemma. Well done.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Dora; I used to when I was a child, but these days I stay where I know I am safe and can get help if something goes wrong.

      Delete
  7. Nice tale R. Has me wondering did it get too cloudy and they had to return before it was planned to..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; thank you. I think they stayed out most of the day.

      Delete
  8. Wearing glasses boats are not for me, but we sure went into abandoned houses - not really safe, maybe dumb, but such adventures. Great story, I had no idea reading the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; we went into abandoned falling down old houses too, though there weren't many, and we mostly went in to get through to the backyards which often had old fruit trees and nuts trees, where we could fill our pockets and bags from. I didn't have glasses as a child because nobody picked up on me being crosseyed.

      Delete
  9. Lovely continuation - I love island holidays, maybe bacause many of my childhood holidays were on an island ;) I hope they do not get into too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I have only read about island holidays so using my imagination here. I think they only have small troubles, nothing serious.

      Delete
  10. I felt something of a fraud when I visited our local health centre. I never go there but I had grown weak, totally unaware that persistent wind may be a sign of some sinister inner turmoil. I could hardly cope with the farting from morning till night like a tuba player in a brass band.

    The doctor's office smelt fusty and she looked at me as though I had arrived with malice prepense. When she examined me she said she was called Dr Clement. Just as I noticed she was wearing a mouse grey cardigan and smelt of camphor, I let out yet another resounding fart. Dr Clement snapped, "That's disgusting!" I will admit that it did not smell of camphor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; I hope the cause of the farting was found, usually the diet is at fault.

      Delete
    2. Nice use of the words, sir, and I'm wondering if she should be a doctor. Body functions shouldn't bother them.

      Delete
  11. I am hoping the girls might find an old lady living there now, who is not a witch, but just misunderstood. As for the boys, maybe they will find some colorful sea life to marvel over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; no old lady, the cabin has been emoty for many years now, hence the cleaning out process. The boys have an interesting time.

      Delete
  12. Blogger deleted my comment after showing it. I know how frustrated you feel now, cause I have no real idea what I´d said, other than it´s a great story again. Blogger :-(
    And that as kids we went into abandoned houses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; blogger does love to play games (*~*)

      Delete
    2. Iris; it wasn't deleted, It went to spam and I only just now found it and published it.

      Delete
  13. The place we used to vacation had frequent afternoon storms, but seldom morning ones. We could stay out until hungry for lunch, go back in to eat and nap during the afternoon rain, then go back out.

    I hope they all pay attention to the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; that sounds like a delightful place with such predictable weather. I'm sure they all pay attention to the weather.

      Delete
  14. The romantic dimension of love has a profound perpetual influence on our lives, and mind, dating back to the origin of our histories but the pitfalls of love is mostly untalked of and has severe impact on our lives, a catastrophic tragedy especially when you are enslave in multiple conflicting interests, a conjunction of professional responsibilities and academic responsibilities, therefore as someone who treats students with compassion foreseeing their mental suffering, I attempt my best to assist them across multitude of academic tasks, and support which facilitate their academic progression for instance like hire someone to write my dissertation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs