Wednesday's Words on a Friday

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write, a story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are once again supplied by Delores and can be found here.

This week's words are:


1. beacon
2. evening
3. jealous
4. slander
5. dormant
6. peripheral

and/or:

1. mystic
2. plentiful
3. splendid
4. destruction
5. gratitude
6. bacon

and this phrase: misty mountain melody

Not at all related to Lost and Found (aka Tom's Memories) 
here is my story:

 Throughout the long summer evening, as dusk fell and settled into the shadows, Davey and I had sat on the porch marvelling at our good fortune. Our relatives had finally gone home after a ten day visit, during which my sister Marion had told me every single tidbit of slanderous gossip going around the old neighbourhood, while her husband Greg caught up on so much sleep he resembled a bear gone dormant for the winter. 

"I'm a little jealous," Marion had said. "Your wonderful views, your splendid sunsets, the plentiful supply of sweet water straight from the spring. 

It all seems a little mystical, like fairies and pixies could be living in the trees. But we can't stay longer. Greg is the only heart surgeon now that Will has retired," so bags had been packed and they'd gone back to the city.

Davey and I revelled in the quiet, listening to the melody of the brook as it tumbled over rocks and down mini waterfalls from the misty mountain above and behind us. Suddenly, two shots rang out, close together. Known throughout the mountain area as a cry for help, "Is anyone out there? I'm lost". 


Davey got the rifle from the cabinet and fired one answering shot into the air. A few minutes later, two more shot were heard and Davey answered again. 
"He seems a little closer Trish," and he stood at the edge of the porch peering into the woods. Another two shots, definitely closer now. 

Davey answered with one shot and went down to light the beacon in our miniature lighthouse that served as gatepost and mailbox.
I went inside and started frying bacon and brewing coffee, whoever was lost would no doubt be hungry. After several more volleys of shots and answers, I heard voices. Davey and an unknown male. 


They came into the house and I served bacon and egg sandwiches along with large mugs of coffee, before we asked who he was and where he'd come from. His gratitude was palpable, he thought he'd been wandering for days, but couldn't be sure as a fall had knocked him out for a while. We offered him a bed and agreed to help him find his campsite in the morning.

Comments

  1. I really like this one River, another great story being born right here, you are so good at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy; thank you. I had to put Tom's story on hold for a while.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, another mystery brewing. How are you going to keep track?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; I print them out and each one gets a separate folder.

      Delete
  3. Another great story. Your folder of them is building up fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Thank you. I have four folders of printed Friday works.

      Delete
  4. Good story the bacon and eggs idea has made me hungry.
    Merle,,,,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; time for bacon and egg sandwiches for tea then.

      Delete
    2. Because we are totally OFF bread we have bacon and egger salads.

      Delete
  5. Terrific use of the words, River. Good on you!

    All the best for the weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; thank you. I'm wondering if I can somehow fit this into Tom's story, perhaps a few chapters down the track.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you will be able to do so, River...it would suit your Tom storyline as it progresses.

      Delete
  6. .. wonderful use of the words River.... love it .. xxxx Barb xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara; thank you, I'm quite happy with it myself.

      Delete
  7. Great. Maybe another list of words will lend itself to details of the gossip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; gossip details? I'm no good at gossip :(

      Delete
  8. This is one of your best stories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; thank you, and this is one that I bashed out in five minutes with hardly any thought.

      Delete
  9. I love your comment to fishducky about how you banged out this story in five minutes. That's how it works sometimes. The words just flow from "somewhere," and you type as fast as you can to keep up with the flow. I call it being in the zone, and it feels magical.

    Anyhow, nice job. However, you naughty girl, you've implanted a thought in my head which I cannot ignore. I simply MUST make bacon and egg sandwiches for lunch...

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suan; most of my stories get bashed out fairly quickly, I have no idea where the words come from. It's only when they get to be several chapters long, that I have to start thinking before I write. Enjoy your bacon and egg sandwiches. I'm having home made chicken schnitzel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs