Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.
The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.
This month the words are again supplied by Delores and can be found here.


This week's single word is: TELEVISION



When I was a young child, living in the hot and dry mid-north of South Australia, not many people had television sets. Certainly there wasn't one in every home. Being so far from the city, reception for television was poor to non-existent. A solution was to have installed in your backyard a tall metal tower, three-sided, wide at the base and tapering towards the top, where an antenna would be installed, aimed, hopefully, in the right direction, to be able to receive the three broadcasting television stations. 

Rabbit Ears antennas were common, but didn't always work and mostly didn't work well, unless you lived a major city.

These towers must have been quite a sight from overhead, in a plane perhaps, as televisions became more commonplace and towers proliferated. But without one of these towers, you might as well turn the thing off and head for the beach. No one wants to sit for hours staring at a fuzzy snowstorm hoping a picture might appear. Sound was often as non-existent as the picture. As time went on, everything improved and people became used to watching the daily news, the sitcoms of the day and the weekly movie, along with Saturday morning cartoons. When movies began broadcasting more often than once a week, the two movie theatres in town really suffered, and one eventually closed. 

All televisions were black and white, no one had a television that showed colour. There was great excitement one weekend when a few families were invited to the home of someone to view their "colour" television. How extremely disappointed we all were to find it was an ordinary TV with a sheet of coloured cellophane over the screen so the picture appeared blue tinged, or pink, depending on which sheet of cellophane was in place at the time. 
People in my town did eventually get colour TVs, but they just weren't readily available for many years. 
One thing people did get, and plenty of them, were TV dinners 
served on foldable TV trays. 


Gone was the family dinner around the kitchen or dining room table. 





At sixteen I moved away from my town to live with my mother, in a southern town, closer to the city, but still far enough away that TV reception wasn't all that good if the weather was stormy. TV was still broadcast in black and white and I'd lost interest in most of it, preferring to read a book. Years later, in my twenties and married, we saw our first colour television at a friend's home, in an outer suburb of Brisbane, Queensland. We loved it, but couldn't yet afford one for ourselves, but I started saving. When we moved to Sydney, New South Wales a few months later, we managed to buy a coloured television on time payments, which we didn't finish paying for until we were in country Victoria a few years later. This is where we discovered the joys of VHS recordings, available for rental on a daily or weekly basis and we spent far too many hours watching them. 

I would never go back to a black and white television set, I'm not sure any are still available to buy anyway, but I do know of one rather eccentric person who has an old black and white TV, set right next to a colour TV and watches both to be able to compare the difference. Now that's overdoing it!



Comments

  1. I remember the excitement when my brother bought a television for us - Mum, Nana, me and him. It was such a thrill for us.

    When he started working he put so much into our humble home. He bought a fridge...a new dining room table and chairs, the television, among other household items that made our lives just that much easier...and more pleasant.

    A great trip down memory lane, River....thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I love Memory Lane, you find amazing things there.

      Delete
  2. We were blessed, or maybe cursed, to live in the city with an entire five stations, the three main ones, plus the public broadcasting station, plus the only independent station in the state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; now we are cursed with dozens of free-to-air channels as well as many pay TV options. So much choice, so little to watch.

      Delete
  3. Quite similar to our situation at the time...black and white....two stations...nothing to noon....aerials and rabbit ears. People got quite creative with those rabbit ears..using tin foil and coat hangers to enhance reception lol. Sometimes my Dad would go up on the roof and adjust the aerial...I would tell mon (who was standing outside the window) if the picture was better and she would call up to Dad. What a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; we didn't get too creative with our rabbit ears, we had two sets and dad linked them together one on each side of the room, which didn't really help, but then we got the tower in the backyard, which my brother and I used as our own personal jungle gym for the next few years.

      Delete
  4. I forgot about TV trays. Thank you for sharing TV in your area.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady; the TV trays were quite unstable, you had to be very careful not to move too much or your dinner ended up on the floor.

      Delete
  5. I think I was in 7th grade when we got a color TV. OOH! It was amazing to see the BLUE eyes on the actors/actresses of my mom's two favorite soap operas, General Hospital, and One Life to Live. In fact, one summer when our TV broke (Dad set an older, smaller, black and white TV on top of it), we drove to my grandma's house every day for Mom's "stories." We kind of pressured my dad to get a new TV in time for the Olympics. He worked some overtime, and we got it. While I was excited about the Olympics, I'm pretty sure my mom was really wanting to see her soaps in color again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; colour TV was a vast improvement that I didn't get until I was 23 with two children and one-on-the-way. They didn't live in front of it though, they watched Sesame Street in the mornings and Australia's "Young Talent Time" in the evenings and when that finished it was bedtime for them. I was a cruel mum who sent them outside to play instead of TV all day.

      Delete
  6. Great to read about the television, your recollection of the beginning of it for you then later.
    For me, television wasn't a 'thing's I watched, seems I had other things to do instead when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; I didn't watch a lot of TV back then, I had no clue at all about the music shows that other teenagers watched, like Countdown and Commotion. I remember attending a High School dance and they all knew all the latest songs and all the latest dance moves. I never went to another dance because I was ashamed. I didn't really get into TV watching until my kids were teenagers and I watched all their shows with them while I did the ironing.

      Delete
  7. TV was a convenience back then. Only not the half hour news in the evening. My father always wanted to see it, and we children had to be quiet as mice all the while. We had 3 channels, the national ones and 2 Swedish. We did not eat in front of it, but sometimes we ate eary or late in order to see something and drank coffee and hot cocoa while watching. Thanks for memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor; we didn't eat in front of the TV either, but it was visible from the table if we moved the chairs all to one side. We didn't bother unless there was something we especially wanted to see.

      Delete
  8. After reading your post, I feel like singing Bob Hope' song: "Thanks for the memories..."

    I reckon most of our experiences with the early days of TV are pretty much the same the world over. But isn't it funny that when we only had two or three choices, the shows were better than the bazillion choices we have today? Or maybe we were just so enthralled with the concept, we just thought it was all good.

    I remember my father making me stand next to the TV so I could touch the rabbit ears" just so" to improve the reception while he was watching a football game. Then, he had an antenna mounted on the roof that could be rotated via a box on top of the TV. Only problem was, he ran a ground wire down the back of the house to the outdoor water faucet, which made using that faucet a real challenge. Touching it delivered quite a shock. Oh yeah. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; I think the movies and comedy sitcoms were much better back then, now the movies have ear-shattering soundtracks and the sitcoms have young people who all look alike and none seem to be over 25 and all they do is flit from one relationship to another.
      You'd have to wear rubber gloves to use that tap.

      Delete
  9. Ah yes TV. I remember the first I saw. Out rich neighbors bought one and my brothers and I went to their window and peeked in to see Howdy Doody strutting about. They did invite us in.
    My mom was totally against TV and would not let us get one. She said we would quit talking to eachother and she was about right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I remember when TV first came to my small town and were placed in shop windows where people would congregate on the footpaths to watch until they could afford to buy one.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed your take on the prompt, brought back a lot of memories. I bought a few of those old b&W series (The Forsyte Saga being one) that were shown then, we were entranced. Far fewer commercials then too.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisewebwoman; I thought I had left a reply here, but must have missed you somehow. I now own a few old TV series, none in black and white though. I remember the commercials back then, I think about three commercials per break instead of the seven or eight we get now.

      Delete
  11. Lots of memories here!

    We had 2 local stations only for years. The radio was used more.

    The first color show we saw? White Christmas! Dad stopped at a friend's house after we kids did our shopping. It was stunning. Something no one can forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I remember the first colour show we ever saw was Sesame Street at a friend's house. We visited often as her kids were the same age as mine.

      Delete
  12. I was ten when I saw the television antenna going up on top of our house. I was on my way home from school and ran all the way down the hill, stopped inside the house in front of the TV and have been sitting there for 62 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; I remember when our big tower got put up in the back yard, the antenna didn't go up on top until the next day as the concrete base had to properly set. my brother and I could hardly wait to start climbing on it.

      Delete
  13. I love to watch programs from the public broadcasting station, since its free ….and use old TV...
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  14. This brought back lots of memories for me, too. I think given a choice of TV, TV dinners, and TV dinner trays, the winner for me is TV dinners - lol I stopped watching TV except to watch the news with my dad at the nursing home for quite a few years. Now I don't watch at all. I've substituted the internet :( Bad me! It's funny that you and your brother used the TV tower as a jungle gym! Much healthier than sitting in front of the tube.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You'll learn a lot
    before your death.
    I know I have.
    N'joy, miss coffee..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to think the movie 'the wizard of oz' is all black and white because we didn't have color tv and when I did see it in colors, the colors were so bright it's almost like magic.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post brought back so many memories. I was born on a farm in Devon, England. Occasionally we'd visit my Auntie Rita which we loved because she had TELEVISION! Then when I was eight, my brother and I got off the school bus to be met by my mother and father who said, "We've got a surprise for you." We went indoors to be met by the magical sight of a TELEVISION. Of course, it was only black and white in those days and there were only two channels, BBC and ITV, but it was so exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs