Sunday Selections #543

 Long, long ago, in days of yore...Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look.


this mess is what the plumber snaked out of my drains after I sent a week listening to gurgles that weren't normal, not a huge blockage considering I have been here almost ten years and have never called in a plumber. He took a photo for his records and I did too, on the left is what appears to be plant roots, the middle is a mess of grey hair, a bit of nylon line and on the right some red plastic strips like the twist ties often included in packets of plastic bags. I suspect the hair is mostly mine and came through from the washing machine, I have been forgetting to shake the clothes to remove hair before I stuff it all in the machine. 

remember I have been feeding mealworms to "my" magpies? 

Last week I heard a kerfuffle and looked out to see this crow had chased away the maggies to eat some worms for himself.

a few days later, he came back and brought his mate

if you look closely here you can see one of them has a bit of mealworm in his/her beak

they had a great time foraging, but I had to take the photos through the screen door as they are very shy of people coming close.

can you all see that tiny dot on the paper towel?

here's a closer look, it's striped, hairy, alive and they're in my kitchen cupboards! Not in huge numbers, I only see one very occasionally and squish it right away, but I suspect I probably should empty the cupboards, wash them out and spray something insecticidey.

a little bragging in our Friday newspaper. The rest of the article was titled "Covid-19 weeds out the morons"

Lola relaxing by the bedroom heater

The girls have been climbing around in the bedroom bookshelf:

Meg is chatting with the unnamed teddy, I've tried to name him several times but nothing seems to fit

Jordan is giving Freddy Mercury a good scratch

Gillian loves hearing Harley's tales of the open road, both are wearing feathers that fell from my new duster

Riley is admiring Drusilla's jewellery collection

the little fisherman gnome is very happy with his catch

this is the current opening picture on my laptop (it changes often). Its name is NGC6960, also known as Witch's  Broom Nebula. I think it's very pretty, but the camera didn't quite capture it well enough.

Here is yesterday's weather, gusty winds, sheeting rain and thunder. Across town, "no-one" had similar but also had lightning and small hailstones.



Comments

  1. I suspect our drains would look very similar if the contents were exposed.
    The girls and Lola look very happy - which is wonderful.
    Glad that your laptop allowed you to post this great selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I suspect yesterday's lack of connection was due to the nonstop gusty winds and rain. Every thing is calmer now, just cold. Lola loves the heater.

      Delete
  2. I did LOVE Australia when there for only three months but could have gone back in a heart beat to stay for longer. I will never get to go there again but glad I have been and have such lovely memories- the orphans are very lucky! I also love "weeding out the morons". Yes, Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did my comment go? I probably forgot to click on 'publish'. Anyway, you never know what the future holds, you may make it back here one day. I thought 'weeding out the morons' was funny too, then I saw on the tv news thousands of people in our eastern states marching for freedom, protesting about lockdowns and having to stay home. This morning I read in the paper 141 more cases of the delta strain and two deaths. So sad that these marching crowds just don't get it.

      Delete
  3. Did my firs comment get lost in cyber-space, if not, please delete this one.
    That bear ... did you ever consider Aloysius for a name? That fisherman gnome sure looks happy. Will he teach the girls how to fish? Urgh to thunder, rain et cetera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; he doesn't seem like an Aloysius. Your first comment has disappeared, cyber-space is a treacherous beast. The girls haven't met the fisherman yet, perhaps they will have an interest in fishing. I love storms, so thunder and rain are fine with me.

      Delete
  4. Hey, River...let the maggies and crows inside...they'll promptly get rid of the bugs. I',m sure Lola won't mind...she looks far too comfortable and warm in front of the heater to be bothered!

    Have a good week ahead...take care. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; maggies and crows inside? Lola would have a heart attack! I don't see very many of those bugs, just one once in a while. Lola has been unusually cuddly lately, not even protesting when I scoop her up to hold her.

      Delete
  5. If there isn't an obstruction from another cause, hair shouldn't be a problem. It appears roots were the problem. Interesting that crows are higher on the pecking order than magpies. Magpies don't mind attacking humans, but are driven off by crows. Here our ravens don't seem very aggressive towards other birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I agree about the hair, but there is always some obstruction to have them get caught up in, that's why I'm usually so careful not to let any get down the drain.
      "My" maggies haven't attacked me even once since I've been here, maybe because I say hello to them when I walk past, it's only this year that I started putting mealworms out on the lawn. This is the first time the crows have ever come to my lawn too, maybe the maggies told them about the food.

      Delete
  6. My bathroom drain looks like that in spite of my attempts to keep my hair out of the sink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; I wouldn't think your short hair would cause any problems, mine is much longer.

      Delete
  7. The naming of toys and bears and dolls is a curious matter. Some might think it was easy, but there's some secret alchemy to it. Some names just don't stick.
    A lot of my bears' names are simply descriptions: Red Bear, Bed Bear, etc.
    But then there are the bears Tulip, Firefly, St. Lucy...
    Who knows the mysterious ways of these things?

    I always feel so happy to see the sisters living their happy lives with you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresca; naming is tricky, I have a baby polar bear named Caramel and used to have a pair of stuffed puppies named toffee and fudge because of their colours. Perhaps my bear is a girl and that's why the names don't stick. I could take off the bow tie and make her a dress. She will be called Honey.

      Delete
  8. At time I thought of getting a plumber snake
    Coffee is on and stay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; snakes are tricky, they need to be very long and have a pressurised water supply. I was thinking of buying a plunger, but don't think my shoulder would manage that very well.

      Delete
  9. That's a lot of roots! No wonder you heard gurgling. Your drain was choking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; choking! yes that's exactly the sound, "help me help me!"
      It wasn't a lot of roots, the entire mess fit in my hand from wrist end to fingertip, the plumber separated the bits for his report photo.

      Delete
  10. Drains can be a problem with plant roots. It's good you got your drain cleaned - husband gets a hose into ours outside the main bathroom as the girls (grandchildren) who live here every second weekend put so much hair down the drain when showering, they have long hair.
    Your collections of photos are lovely as they always are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; far better to teach the girls not to put hair down the drain. Teach them to brush out any loose hair before showering and to then scoop any fallen hair from the shower drain when they finish.

      Delete
  11. Yikes on the clog. Don't think I want to be home if they do mine:) Sounds like the news of the mealworm banquet has spread. Hope they all remain polite and well mannered.
    Can only hope our morons have some light bulb moments and realize this disease isn't kidding around. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; it wasn't a huge clog, but could have become one if I ignored the drain gurgles. The worst part was the smell once stuff started coming out. The plumber even cleared up any splattered mess he'd made. Word of the mealworms is getting around, I have several other types of birds hanging around now, but I only throw out mealworms when the magpies or crows are there. And then only once a day.

      Delete
  12. Edward Bear?
    Hi via Fresca's blog 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gz; welcome to drifting. I thought about Edward, but like other names it just didn't fit. I think the teddy is a girl, so she will be Honey.

      Delete
  13. It does not surprise me that crows muscle in for a share of the feed.

    The adventures of your little ones are such fun.

    It's been a while, i wonder what a plumber would find here if our lines were cleared, maybe i don't want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; the crows only muscled in one time, now they wait and come down when no other birds are there and not every day either, maybe once a week.
      Maybe it is time to clear your drains just in case, but it can be expensive unless you know someone who knows someone. I'm in subsidised public housing, so it comes under the maintenance label and was free.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs