Wednesday's Words on a Friday


 The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Cindi and can be found here

This week's prompt is: 

A picture is worth 1000 words. Write at least 100 words about the image below.


Here is my story: 254 words

Danny had been rummaging around in the big suitcase for his pyjamas when he noticed the lining coming away from inside the lid. A corner of paper was sticking out, so he pulled it all the way out and found it was an old photograph. He looked on the back and saw someone had written Diane and Daniel September 1965. 

He crossed the room to where his Dad was sorting out containers of Chinese food and chopsticks. "Dad, look what I found in the lining of the blue suitcase. Do you know these people? One is named Daniel like me." Michael took the photo and sat on the edge of the bed looking at it. 

"I've never seen this particular photo before Danny, but I know who they are. Daniel is my father, your Grandfather, and Diane is his sister, my Aunt. I never knew her. 1965 was the year they all went on holiday as a family for the last time; the blue suitcase was used for the kids clothes, but they had to come home without Diane. She and my Dad had been climbing trees and Diane fell, she died in the hospital later that same day.  Dad must have hidden this in the suitcase to keep with him always. He travelled the world with this case, but instead of putting travel stickers from every country onto the case, he put them all in a big scrapbook.  I remember looking through it when I was about your age and hearing his stories."


Comments

  1. What a powerful 100 words, River. I wanted to cry at the end. Beautifully written.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; thank you, not too sad I hope.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I'm glad you liked this continuation.

      Delete
  4. Wow. So many memories tucked in that case. Well told!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; cases often hold memories, mostly untold unless someone finds a photo in them.

      Delete
  5. Grieving never ends. Sensitive story, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Margaret D; a little sad, but many happy memories too.

      Delete
  7. Sad story, but still good and well written. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Oh, how sad and tragic. Wonderful story. I nearly have tears in my eyes. Actually... I do.
    Great interpretation of the photo.
    And great idea with the stickers! Wish I had read this ages ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I didn't mean to make you cry. I like the idea of travel stickers in a book too, they would last longer than on a case, getting all scraped every time the case went into a luggage hold. And now the book can be passed down. Maybe the young Daniel will end up with it.

      Delete
    2. It was just a sentimental tear, no worries. Our luggage looks bad by now, glad we put no stickers on that! I drove with the Perth skyline on my car. Much better. Smiled every time I saw it.

      Delete
  9. How tragic and very sad.

    God bless, River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; it wasn't meant to be tragic, but I can see that in there now. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Good job River. I am anxious to get back in the swing of things with the WFW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; thank you. I'll look forward to your stories soon.

      Delete
  11. Diane's memory lives on through the photo, through two people who never knew her. Gone but no longer forgotten. All because of one boy sentimentally hiding the picture, and another inquisitively discovering it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; this young Dan may one day follow his grandfather around the world because of the photo and the book of travel stickers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs