Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by WiseWebWoman and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

01. white 

02. painter 

03. courtesy 

04. recommendation 

05. neighbour 

06. disagree 

07. traffic 

08. ambition 

09. conference 

10. healthy 

and this picture: 


Here is my story:

As part of his natural courtesy, Khoral had invited the dishevelled, paint spattered young man inside to sit away from the drizzling rain, while he read the recommendation letter the man had brought with him. "How long have you been a painter Simon?" he asked. Simon answered, "I started my training before I left school, it's been my ambition since I was very young and helped my father with painting furniture, but I wanted more, I wanted to paint houses and other buildings, so I worked for Mr Simmons on weekends and sometimes after school too." "His recommendation is excellent," said Khoral. "Have you had the experience of painting a lighthouse before?" 

"I have," said Simon. "I find them easy because they are always white, but challenging because of the shape and size. Some have a house attached, some don't, some have just a small shack built beside them, as you do here, I enjoy the differences. I do disagree with a lot of painters though, they think all they need to do is slap on another coat of white and call it finished. I prefer to examine the structure first, see if there are too many coats that might be hiding problems, and I like to strip it back to the original if it's at all possible, to make a fresh start. It takes longer, but if the work is done during summer, there is a good chance of getting it completely finished before the weather turns again."

"I see you take great pride in your work," said Khoral. "I do like people who like to do a job properly and not cut any corners. I understand doing the full job will cost more than just 'slapping on another coat', so let's go outside and start inspecting the lighthouse. You can tell me what you think, what the price might eventually be and we'll go from there." "Thank you very much Mr Kai," said Simon with a big smile. "Just call me Khoral, as everyone else does," said Khoral.  "You will have noticed there isn't much traffic near lighthouses, so there won't be a problem with dust being kicked up and crowds of people, my nearest neighbour is Gail, who lives in the village over by those woods." Khoral pointed in a westerly direction and Simon looked over that way. "That is where you can find lodging, unless you would prefer to stay here at the lighthouse. Where will you buy your paint?" 

"I will buy the paint in the city across the river and I have a van fitted out with a bed and a small kitchenette, smaller than a caravan, but big enough for comfort, I spend most of my time outdoors anyway and I like the healthy sea air, so if you don't mind I could park the van behind the lighthouse on that flat area and set up my tent to store the paint cans and brushes etc." "That's a good plan," said Khoral. "Now we've done a full circle, what do you think of the paintwork? Will it need complete removal?" "Not on the main structure," said Simon, "but it does look like the trim could use a little repair, so that would need to be scraped and sanded, then repaired before repainting, so that would be a good time for you to choose a colour. Some people choose bright red, others grey or blue, but the choice is entirely yours. I have colour charts you can look at."

"I shall study them tomorrow," said Khoral. "For now, just bring your van from the village, I noticed you walked here, it's a lovely walk as well as  good exercise isn't it? This little rain we have today shouldn't last more than another day or two, then we have fine days for a couple of months, so you'll have plenty of time to gather your paints and plan your work schedule. Don't forget to leave time for relaxation. I can walk back to the village with you now, if you like. It’s time for me to meet the children at the park for my storytelling. Some of the children missed out last week because of chicken pox.”


Comments

  1. That was a good one. I know a few painters who would like to strip it back to the original so that they can do a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haddock; my father-in-law was like that. Strip it back, make necessary repairs then do a first class job of the painting. He was a member of the Master builder and decorators association.

      Delete
  2. "White!" said River when the Canadian painter enquired with due courtesy what colour she would like her lighthouse to be. He had arrived by recommendation of a neighbour - not the kind of person you sought to disagree with. She was a traffic cop but harboured an ambition to organise a conference on healthy eating for the Newfoundland Police Force. River held a photograph of her new maritime home at Lobster Cove Head and wondered what the hell she was doing there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! River had some decisions to make.

      Delete
    2. Whatever she was doing there, let's hope she enjoyed it. Good use of the prompts!

      Delete
    3. Yorkshire Pudding; A lighthouse on Lobster Cove Head sounds like a fine address. and a conference on healthy eating sounds good too, no more coffee and donut breakfasts for the Newfoundland Police! I like this.

      Delete
  3. The painter, with ambition but courtesy, had a conference with the "healthy" neighbor and gave a recommendation of white to handle the lighthouse traffic but is afraid she might disagree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; many people don't like plain white because it dirties so easily, but perhaps his curtesy will sway her decision.

      Delete
  4. Can see why that young man was so highly recommended. He will do a job all can be proud of. Sadly not always the case today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I know a few such young men who take pride in a job well done.

      Delete
  5. Great use of the prompts. That young man obviously deserves his high recommendation. I am wondering (and perhaps my memory is at fault) where Khoral will find the money to pay him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Khoral seems to have an unlimited supply of money and no one knows where from, but no one ever questions him about it either.

      Delete
  6. Good words. Will think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; they are WiseWebWoman's words, but I'd like to see what you can do with them.

      Delete
  7. A very good chapter of your story, you used the prompts well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you. I liked your story too.

      Delete
  8. Great story again, I love it. And to live in a lighthouse must be something.
    Khoral is right, leave time for relaxation, too, especially at the ocean.
    And yes, it costs more money, but a proper job is better than a slap on (I admit, that´s what we did and now it shows!!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; a proper job is always best in the long run. Relaxation is the best part of working. I wouldn't mind staying in a lighthouse for a holiday, but I'm not sure I could live in one permanently.

      Delete
  9. I like this story very much. and you used all the words so well! It seems that Khoral, like Pippi Longstocking, has an everlasting cache of gold coins somewhere - actually not a new thougth, only it congealed because of ECs question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. I'm wondering myself where Khoral's money comes from. He doesn't splash it about, but always seems to have just enough. Perhaps it's a magical alien thing. Oooh! there's an idea....

      Delete
  10. I don't know in Australia if ones home is pretty much the same color. But I see more varieties now in home colors. Mind is forest green with brown trim.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; home colours here depend on the age of the building usually. Early homes were built of "sandstone" which is a yellow ochre colour and people made distinctions by painting the trims different colours. In different areas, homes were built of "bluestone" which has a slate colour and most were trimmed with white. Then there are the red brick homes, and later other colours of bricks were made. Most modern homes are now white, especially the blocks of apartments, again some have different trim colours. Not many homes here are made of wood, we are a bushfire prone country and wood just burns right up. You could google bluestone and sandstone homes in Australia, to see what they look like.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like Khoral found the right young man for the job. I'm sure it will turn out just right, and Khoral might even learn more about the painter's adventures during relaxation time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I have a feeling the young painter will find more work in the village and may even become a secondary story teller.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs