Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Hilary Melton-Butcher and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. synthetic 

2. aquamarine 

3. clock 

4. ring 

5. curious 

6. structure 

and/or: 

1. nuance 

2. blessed 

3. abalone 

4. blanket 

5. puff-pastry 

6. sea-silk

Here is my story:

Miriam and Jeannie sipped at their cappuccinos as they chatted. They hadn’t seen each other for six months, with Miriam now being at Uni in the next town. They were discussing bridesmaids dresses, Jeannie having recently become engaged and making sure her ring was conspicuous every time she lifted her cup.

Miriam’s thoughts were mostly on her poetry assignment, only half an ear was tuned to Jeannie’s excited chatterings. The English tutor had been going on about structure and nuance, but Miriam had been staring at Cameron with his black hair and aquamarine eyes, so had no real idea about what sort of poem to write.

Jeannie noticed the faraway look in Miriam’s eyes and snapped her fingers sharply to get her attention. “What do you think of my idea?” she asked. “What idea?” said Miriam. “I knew you weren’t listening,” said Jeannie. “I said I’d have frooffy dresses layered like puff-pastry, but made out of sea-silk and you just smiled dreamily. What’s on your mind?”  

“Cameron Stewart,” said Miriam. “He has the most gorgeous aquamarine eyes and wavy black hair.” “Aquamarine! That’s the colour I was trying to describe. It’s what I want for the bridesmaids dresses!”  exclaimed Jeannie. “In sea-silk?” asked Miriam. “Of course not,” said Jeannie. “It’s not for dresses that stuff, it’s way too expensive and hard to get enough of. I’ll settle for synthetic silk, it’s called rayon and comes in all kinds of colours.

“Rayon is artificial silk?” said Miriam in surprise. “I thought everybody knew that,” said Jeannie. “Not everyone is blessed with your fashion knowledge,” said Miriam, “but you have my attention now. Tell me more about Jeremy.” “I met him at the fish market,” said Jeannie. “I was there buying swordfish steaks for the Easter weekend barbecue and he was emptying a fresh pot of abalone into the ice buckets and he smiled at me. Right then I was head over heels for him and when he wrapped and handed me the swordfish our hands touched and he asked me out for coffee. We’ve hardly been apart since then.”

“That’s so romantic,” said Miriam. “I haven’t got a hope with Cameron. He’s Irish and I’m Jewish and his family is huge! They all seem to have a dozen kids each and he’s the youngest of the brothers and I don’t think I’d cope at all in a crowd like that.” “The world is filled with curious happenings,” said Jeannie. “Look at me, I never go to the fish market if I can help it, but there I was and there was Jeremy too. So don’t be throwing a wet blanket over your dreams just yet.” “Okay, I won’t,” said Miriam. “Now what would you like as a wedding gift?” “A mantle clock,” said Jeannie. “I’m pretty sure we’ll get a dozen toasters, so a mantle clock will be something different.”


Comments

  1. Another lovely little snippet. I do like these tiny slices of life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you. I was hoping to make this part of Khoral's story, but maybe next week's words will facilitate a tie-in. Or not.

      Delete
  2. These are good friends and seem to have each other's backs when not distracted. And even then are quick to forgive, understand and give good advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; they have been besties since kindergarten.

      Delete

  3. This is a very well written slice of life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nice, fun way to get a friend´s attention back! :-)
    People give toasters as wedding pressies?!
    I am glad we married in your country and got a nice dinner with friends as pressie there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; yes, people give toasters as wedding presents, also other things. Almost anything a person could want or need in their home as married people. When my grandson married two years ago I gave a toaster, someone else gave two sets of steak knives, another person gave bedding and towels. Some people give money.
      I didn't know you married in Australia :)

      Delete
    2. I made shirts and boats from money and Ingo the surroundings, you can see here, if you like. Wedding, here :-). It was in Joondalup/Perth.

      Delete
    3. I had a look, the shirts and boats present was really very nice, a clever idea. I like it so much. Your wedding pics are lovely, your dress is perfect and you both look so happy :)

      Delete
  5. I like this story. A nice wedge of peaceful lives. It's not always the words tie in with our continuing story, but Khoral and his world will return, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And always funny to see my comment posted in the future ;) It's now a bit past noon here, and my comment - from 2 hours ago - is posted almost 6 hours ahead of my time :D

      Delete
    2. Charlotte; Khoral will definitely return, I just don't know when. I'm stuck with Tom's story too and began that one five years ago. I like being a little "in the future".

      Delete
  6. Heh, heh! I love this part: "...making sure her ring was conspicuous every time she lifted her cup." We all know those people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I knew one who did that, the ring was enormous and I'm pretty sure the bridegroom was still paying it off after the wedding!

      Delete
  7. When it comes to fabric and sewing I ask my daughter in law.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I have lots of sewing people in my family, I sew a little but nothing fancy and don't have room now to set up the machine and just leave it ready. my daughter sews, my grand daughter also sews, and my mother and mother-in-law were both dressmakers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs