Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. Grandmama 2. holiday 3. ruthless 4. gallery 5. purchase 

and/or: 

1. machine 2. stitched 3. motion 4. art 5. brain

Here is my story:

Grandmama Elsie was ruthless in her scrubbing of the old cottage. Her grand daughter Diana would be visiting for the holiday period and Elsie wanted everything to be perfect. She had finished the quilt for Diana’s bed and had spent time yesterday at Julie’s quilt shop in town, watching as the huge machine stitched a hearts and flowers design over the colourful triangles. “That machine is just poetry in motion,” she’d exclaimed as Julie snipped the threads and prepared to do the binding. Many years ago, Elsie had made quilts entirely by hand sitting in a circle with other women who were stitching their pieces and gossiping.

“Whoever had the brain to design something like this was a pure genius,” she told Julie. They chatted while the binding was done, then the carefully wrapped quilt was carried back to the cottage and spread onto Diana’s bed. A moment was spent admiring it, then Elsie hustled back to the kitchen where the big old table needed one more scrubbing in her opinion, then a flowered tablecloth was placed over it and Elsie sank into the easy chair by the fire with a mug of hot chocolate. Tomorrow she would go back to town, to the Mock-Art Gallery and purchase a couple of prints to hang in Diana’s room. A small vase of roses on the dresser and the room would be perfect.


Comments

  1. I really, really hope that Diana appreciates that her room (and the house) have been decorated with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope Diana enjoys all the work Elsie has put into her visit. It is obviously very important to Elsie that everything is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; sometimes it is more important than others. I'm not sure why in this case, but the scrubbing and sewing etc may have kept Elsie busy enough so she didn't wonder why everything had to be perfect.

      Delete
  3. Once upon a time and far from here, a little girl called River went to visit her Grandmma for a holiday. She lived in the town of Ruthless, Victoria right next to the art gallery. You had to purchase a ticket from the machine to enter. In case River got lost, her mother had stitched a name tag into her coat's collar. That day the display was of what was called "motion art". It caused stars to go shooting through River's brain. She was in awe of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; Nicely done. I wonder if there is a town called Ruthless?

      Delete
    2. I searched around but could not find a place with that name.

      Delete
  4. I will think about your words and creativity, getting back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; the words belong to Elephant's Child this month.

      Delete
  5. For some people, you want everything just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; especially when it is their very first visit.

      Delete
  6. My grandma on my dad side was name Elise. She did before I was born.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; That's sad. I never knew my grandparents, but that's because they lived in Germany and I live in Australia. They all died before I was fifty though.

      Delete
  7. Oh the work we do - that so often go unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; usually the work we do is to satisfy ourselves, but I think Diana will notice and appreciate what Grandmama has done.

      Delete
  8. There were so many different organized Wednesday words (both wordy and wordless) for a while. This is really a fun version, to inspire a creative little story. I enjoyed your post.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae Travels; thank you. Welcome to Drifting.

      Delete
  9. That sounds so inviting. Lucky Diana. I always admire those who quilt - such painstaking work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; I love quilts, but can't make them myself, I don't know anyone who does. it isn't a big thing like in America, but we do have some quilting and craft guilds.

      Delete
  10. The holidays were ruthless in passage of time. Grandmama gazed at the priceless purchases in her gallery, smiling at their memories. She was a nubile model at that time, when skin was smooth, and smiles were sincere. Now, Grandmama traced her fingers in the air over the colored lines. The art was a flurry of color in motion and her brain felt the lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; this is very nice, thank you for playing.

      Delete
  11. I really have no idea why quilts are not popular ot known here in Germany!
    They are so nice!!!
    This Diana seems worth all the preparing! I have a cousin with that name you´d run as fast a you could! Yet I also have fond memories of our time together. Be it ice-cream combined with still warm dog-poo between my toes and .. I´ll stop here! ;-)
    Merry Christmas to you. 2019 we celebrated in your country. And 2015. I miss it and would love to meet you in person, too. Say hi to Cookie, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I don't know why either, but I'm equally sure there are German things that aren't well known in other countries. Quilting isn't a big thing here in Australia either, although some people do make them and enter them in shows and win prizes. I don't know why I chose the name Diana, it just popped into my head, but I like it. Cookie says Hi back and gives you a wave.

      Delete
    2. In our Cabin in Perth we do have a quilt (I think?) as we had in Cuba, Mexiko.... all we have here is an 8kg blanket in grey.
      German things... Grünkohl?
      I saw Rollmops at Wollies! And Liverwurst. Couldn´t believe it!
      But non-food? I cannot think of anything! I learned so much from your country instead! We have two real "Willows" here! They kept our food and drink cold and brought books and tools via ship here, Eskies, unknown here!

      Delete
    3. I don't know many people who DON'T have at least one Esky here. Many people keep one in their car to take frozen foods home when shopping, like ice cream etc.
      My step-father loved Rollmops, there was always a big jar of them
      for him, but no one else liked them.
      I think an 8kg blanket would be far too heavy for me, I like a little weight, but even then I sometimes throw it off.

      Delete
  12. My grandma made many quilts, by hand. She gave me one for my wedding, and a baby quilt for each of my boys when they were born. So your story brought back nice memories. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs