Sunday Selections #636

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

Andrew is still away in England so may or may not join us.

this is the mulberry tree growing within the grounds, you can see by the trunk it is fairly young still, although it has been here since before I moved in twelve years ago.

the leaves are bigger than my hand

and very bright when the sun is on them. Two or three years ago this tree was trimmed back so severely it was little more than the trunk with a small canopy, where once the branches were plentiful and hung almost to the ground. The mulberries were fat, black and sweet and there were hundreds of them each November/December, but since the trimming there hasn't been a single berry.

this sleeping china piggy in the same area as the piggy banks appears to be a salt shaker and I think she is far too pretty to be 'salted'.

these next few photos are all of the same plant and I am hoping someone can tell me what it is. 

It is taller than me ( I am five feet) and it is wide, spreading similar to a Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia)

the leafy branches look like this with each leaf alternating along the stem, each leaf longer than my hand, each stem longer than my arm.

I'm not sure if this is another leaf stem about to unfurl, or if this is how the flowers start. I'm betting on leaf though.

the flowers look like this, a bit like a spider orchid? spider lily? and does it grow from bulbs or rhizomes?

here are flowers surrounded by upright leaves

a closer look at the flowers

and again. It doesn't seem to have a scent.

dead flowerhead.

here is Genevieve playing with the toys

while Anastasia loves working out the piano sounds

here the girls watch Teletubbies while waiting for their dinner.










Comments

  1. I am clueless about that plant - and hope that some of your other more knowledgeable readers know.
    Love the twins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I will print a couple of photos and take them to a nursery. The twins are loveable :)

      Delete
  2. I'm of no help regarding that plant. We used to raid the mulberry trees when we were kids, not only for the fruit bur for the leave to feed our many silk worms.

    The girls are their beautiful selves, enjoying life as they know it. :)

    Happy Mother's Day, River...I hope the happiness and goodwill continues the week through, and beyond. Take care...cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; we never kept silkworms as children, there weren't many mulberry trees in Port Pirie, but a couple of classmates did and brought the shoebox to school to show them off. The girls are doing things with the toys now instead of just pushing them around.

      Delete
  3. Clueless here, too. Fortunately you have babies to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; I'll find out the plant from a nursery but I can't plant one in my tiny space so it really doesn't matter. I'm so glad I have the babies to love.

      Delete
  4. Plants are not my strong suit, or my suit at all. I admire them, and i think those babies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; the babies are the best! i will find out about the plant from a nursery.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen a plant like that. Gen looks like she's ready for a nap. Playing is hard work! Ana looks like a piano virtuoso. I am imagining the sounds of Beethoven's 5th Symphony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I hope the girls turn out musical, or at least enjoy music the way their daddy does. He doesn't play an instrument, but listens to all types of music, ALL types, and I'd like that for the girls too. The plant is less important, but I will find out what it is one day.

      Delete
  6. Don't know the plant but it sure is big, maybe if you are near a nursery sometime someone there might be able to ID it...just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; I googled the names others suggested and it is definitely a ginger of some type.

      Delete
  7. It looks like some sort of ‘ginger’ plant. Try Hedychium - possible. Won’t be long before the two little pocket rockets will be running after you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy; thank you, I will look that up. I think I'll be doing the running after them, I wish I lived closer to see them every day.

      Delete
  8. I think it is "Schmetterlingsingwer", Kahili ginger (lily) Hedychium garnerianu, - less probable it might be "Spinnenpflanze" Spider flower, Cleome hassleriana Chodat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britta; thank you, I will search all of tose and see which it might be.

      Delete
  9. Very sad about the trimming!
    LOL, I have hugging monks for salt and pepper and don´t use them, either (pressie from my Mum).
    Beautiful plant but I can´t help you, sadly. I have a friend who is BIG into gardening, but he is from former East Germany and sure will have no idea, either (he only got to Spain).
    Teletubbies?! Ahhhh..... See why I have no kids, I would get crazy with that!
    They are cute (the babies!!!) but they grow so fast!
    Have a happy Sunday, here it´s sunny but only 8C...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; the tree will recover with time, but I miss the berries. My mum had hugging grandma and grandpa salt and pepper shakers, I don't know what happened to them. I like the Teletubbies but in small doses, a whole hour would make me a bit crazy I think. But the twins love them and that's what's important.

      Delete
  10. P.S. If you like we can bring the little ALDI train for the Readheads along when we come to Adelaide...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; but the train belongs to Ingo. I will see if I can find one here.

      Delete
    2. Sad the salt/pepper-shakers are gone - sounds like they looked fun :-)
      I asked Ingo already and he would be happy to give the train to you!

      Delete
  11. What a shame to cut back a productive tree so hard. Was it getting in someone's way?
    The twins continue o fascinate .It's lovely to see little ones grow up but the time goes too quickly, for the onlookers, at least..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; the tree wasn't in anyone's way, I wonder if someone new to the maintenance team was just learning about tree trimming? I just hope to see mulberries again this coming season. The twins have grown so fast, I can't believe it has been almost a year since they were born and so tiny.

      Delete
  12. The plant is definitely a ginger, as others here have said. I'm not sure which type. Too bad about the mulberry but I bet it will bounce back eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Reed; I am about to google the plant and see what I can find. I was hoping the tree would bounce back faster.

      Delete
  13. I do not recognize the palnt. I guess it does not grow here ;) The salt shaker pig is cute as are the twins. I never warmed to Teletubbies ;) but if it keeps the twins placidly waiting for dinner all is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; it is from the ginger family and needs more warmth than you have there. Teletubbies were never my favourite either but the girls do love them.

      Delete
  14. I am usually clueless about most things and that is absolutely the case here with the plant. Hope someone can give you some more assistance. The twins are amazing and I love their names. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Shife; welcome to drifting. The plant is one of the ginger family. The twins are amazing, thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs