Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by David M. Gascoigne and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. wine 2. oneself 3. once 4. approaching 5. admission 6. kidding 

and/or: 

1. face 2. life 3. accept 4. sunny 5. aches 6. dread

Here is my story continuing on from last week:

Simon showed the man and his son to a small room with two beds and a tray with fruit and asked them to please feel free to rest as long as they want and someone would come in soon with salve and wrappings for their feet. “May I ask your names please?” The father answered, “I am Gunther and my son is Sven, my wife Olga and younger son Victor died in the last big flu season several years ago now. We ourselves had only fever and aches and dread that we would soon follow them to their graves but we recovered and accept that we now face life without them.”

“You have both done very well to make it this far,” said Simon. “I will go now and ask Theresa to bring the salve for your feet.” He left the room and Gunther helped Sven onto one of the beds and peeled a banana for him. Theresa came in soon after with a box containing a thick liquid in an old wine bottle, approaching Sven first as Gunther limped to his own bed.

“You are lucky to have arrived during the sunny season,” she said, “there are plenty of the healing herbs growing right now and the bottles of salve are all full again. I will tell you a little about what we do here, as well as learning to look after oneself, we all learn also to look after others and helping new arrivals. Once you become accustomed to the daily routines you will find it all quite easy. Admission to certain groups such as fire-makers, cooks and woodcarvers will depend on your natural abilities or talents, but you are able to try anything you wish, just don’t try kidding yourselves you can do everything if you clearly can’t. That way lies dissatisfaction and unhappiness. Take things slowly at first, watch what people do at different times and join in when you feel you are ready to try. Planting and harvesting are usually the easiest things at this time of year.”

She finished bathing and dressing Sven’s feet and began to work on Gunther’s, pouring the thick salve into a shallow dish and sponging it gently over the ruptured blisters. 


Comments

  1. I could use some (magic) healing herbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; for what problem? There are many solutions, the most important being plenty of rest and drinking water.

      Delete
  2. Drinking wine by oneself is inadvisable. Once, when I was approaching my fiftieth birthday, I had an admission to make to my wife and I am not kidding. Sometimes you have just got to face life and accept that not everything is sunny. I said to her, "My heart aches and I dread to tell you that I have been drinking three bottles of merlot a night since 1995!" That was the night she walked out on me for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; oh no! I hope things improved eventually.

      Delete
  3. This is excellent and I hope that next week's prompts inspire you to continue this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like they found a good place, i hope they thrive there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your story, River, and this is a very intriguing idea. I might have to join the fun as I am trying to see how many days I can blog in a row and finding creativity can be difficult some days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Shife; thank you. This is a weekly challenge with words being chosen by a group of people taking a month at a time, some put up the words on Wednesdays on their own blog, others send the words to Elephant's child to post on her blog. You could also join in with Sunday Selections if you choose, another weekly one where photos are posted. Even just one photo is sufficient.

      Delete
  6. Now I am curious about their talents, and which groups they might try. Even if they end up making foot-salve, they will have a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I am curious about any talents they may have also.

      Delete
  7. Sorry I missed you yesterday, we finally went to the city and were busy!
    Haha, I have a banana-peel today, too on blogger!
    And in an hour I´ll make soil and plant wildflowers for the bees!
    Great story follow-up!

    I could only use two words this time.
    Years ago we went to the old mill by bike on a hot, sunny day. There was a new restaurant, a pizza place (with great murals).
    We ordered pizza and beer cause we were thirsty from the trip.
    It was "Köpi", König Pilsener - King´s beer my Dad loved, funny cause our name is translated Emperor.

    It so bad we could not drink it and ordered wine and water instead, no kidding!
    The waiter said it´s bad the moment it´s out of the tap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; good story, a bike ride and pizza. Too bad the beer was bad. I try to avoid the city as much as possible, too noisy for me, always sirens with fire trucks practising their runs.

      Delete
  8. I like your continuation - and hope for more. It reminds me vaguely of a SciFi I read long ago, the atmosphere that is, not the story proper. I just hope that the Words will allow you to continue your story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs