Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by MessyMimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. flatware 2. season 3. resist 4. combine 5. second 6. breakdown 

and/or: 

1. bottom 2. shame 3. spine 4. dinner 5. offence 6. front

also including Charlotte's colour of the month "luminous red"

Here is my story: 

It was the Christmas season and the youngest grand-daughter was learning to set the table. Newly five years old she was very proud to be able to do this and I was helping with the placement of the flatware. I held the tray as Linda carefully chose each knife, fork and spoon, laying them with care. As we shuffled to the next placing she asked me, "why do you wear that thing Grammy?" I patted the metal, asking "you mean this brace?" "Yes," she said. "Why?" I couldn't resist the earnest little face and decided to tell her. 

"A very long time ago when I was seventeen, I was working in an upstairs room at the cheese factory and the stairs were very steep. We girls walked up and down those stairs several times a day and on one trip my boot slipped right at the edge of the top stair, so instead of walking down, I bounced all the way down on my bottom."

"Did it hurt Grammy?" "Not right away," I said, "but I remember feeling a little shame that the front of my dress had been pulled up and my knickers were on show, I felt as if my face was neon red with the embarrassment." "Oh Grammy, not your knickers!" and she giggled. "Later, the hurt came, when I tried to keep working and my back began to hurt until I couldn't stand up, the base of my spine might have been damaged a little bit. The boss of the factory sent me to get an x-ray, but that showed no bones were broken, just the muscles holding things in place were badly sprained."

 "Like when Tim sprained his knee playing hockey?" "Yes, just like that. But my back took longer to get better because in those long ago days, it was thought the best thing to do was keep as still and straight as possible, so I lay in bed flat on my back for a week, then I tried getting up and walking around. But I wasn't allowed to go back to work, because we had to lift heavy blocks of cheese and wrap them for storage, that might hurt my back again, so the boss said he would give my job to someone else." By now we had finished the flatware and began laying folded napkins onto each dinner plate. 

"Luckily for me, I had managed to save some money and I was still living with my mum and dad, so staying home to rest wasn't so bad. But I did get very bored." "Did they say if you are bored go and clean your room?" Linda asked. "That's what mum says to Tim when he is grumbling around the house." We laughed together at that and went back to the kitchen to see how dinner was progressing. 

"I just need to combine the salad ingredients," said my daughter Sandra, "then the pudding needs another few seconds of steaming before I put it in the warming oven. It's a shame Uncle Nick can't be here, what with Jilly having another breakdown. I don't think she will ever get over that tragedy. It's been three years and she has missed every Christmas." "What tragy Mum?" Linda said. "Trag-e-dy," said Sandra. "Three years ago, when you were still learning to talk, Aunty Jilly's Grammy died right at Christmas time and Aunty Jilly still feels very bad about it every time Christmas comes around."

"Oh" said Linda. "But grammy you didn't finish about your brace thing, why you wear it." "Well," I said, as I got better I got other jobs, but without much schooling, I could only work in factories where the work is harder and often we had to work fast to get the goods made and ready to sell, so over time my back was sprained more than a few times, though never as bad as the first time, but the muscles there aren't as strong now that I am eighty-five, so I wear a brace just for support when I have to be away from home for more than a few hours at a time. When I get home again, I take it off and rest a bit then do the easy stretches to exercise the muscles a bit." 
"So you will never be better and not have to wear it?" "Well, it is Christmas, we can hope for a miracle can't we?" I said.

Comments

  1. Where there's life, there's hope. I can just imagine this scene - little children are so honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; little children certainly are and not afraid to ask questions either.

      Delete
  2. I left this at Messymimi's...
    It's a shame that in front of everyone at the dinner party, just below the bottom of my spine, something created an offence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful vignette - which I could see and hear. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, I'm happy when my words can be visualised.

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet telling. There is always hope. Here is my humble story:

    Through the fog, a pod of dolphins could be seen, their dance gliding along the sailboat. In the distance, an echo of The Nutcracker drifted across the water from a concert onshore.

    The sky was reaching golden yellow as sun dipped down to the horizon. The ship crew could not remember when they had seen such a sight of dolphins below such a sky. The yellow gave way to the purple of a thistle as dusk moved in. Something about those hours filled the crew with gratitude.

    It will not rain tonight, they thought. A rumble rolled over them as they concluded they were about to get drenched.

    Dolphins moved out to deep sea, leaving the rain, the music, and the colors behind along with the crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; this is lovely and from last week's words provided by Charlotte. Did you post this at her site too?

      Delete
  5. This is perfection, River! (tentativelytasmanian.blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MedicatedMoo; thank you, I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  6. A lovely little slice of life story, River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you. I have forgotten to post it at your site, I'll have to do a copy/paste later.

      Delete
  7. Interesting word-combo. My mind is rattling. Without success, though, it seems.
    Oh.
    Wonderfully written (again and of course - you should publish a book from these!).
    Reminds me of my very stubborn Mum. She refused to "go" over Christmas because she knew I would take this as an excuse to never celebrate again.
    She passed Dec 29th - on the Birthday of her youngest Brother, whom I had to call...

    I learned just yesterday my colleague´s wife also has scoliosis (like me) - the back is some vulnerable thing.
    Great story.
    And yes. Kids just ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I had a little trouble getting started with this one but after the first sentence it just kept going all by itself, which is what usually happens. I rarely plan a full story. I couldn't make a book from these, they have no beginnings and no ends, they are all just "middles".
      I also have scoliosis but very minor and most of the time don't notice it at all.

      Delete
  8. Publish them as short stories? Then there has to be no connection. And another one on Khoral Kai - people would love that! Aren´t there "ways" these days and wouldn´t it be fantastic to hold a paper version of your own stories in your hands? I would buy one! And once the Twins can read... perfect pressie!
    I have a book on "Aussie Loos" - I have the contact, maybe she can help you - if you are interested, no worries if you are not.
    Yes, you cannot see my scoliosis, either - who knows how many roam around with it and have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I have the Aussie Loos too and gave one to my brother years ago. I know there are self-publishing places but it isn't cheap to get a book made and extra copies are extra $$$

      Delete
  9. One's choice of flatware should be guided by the season. Often I cannot resist purchasing a second set just in case the delivery driver has a breakdown. The bottom line is this - it would be a terrible shame to disappoint one's guests. However, since I broke my spine I have invited very few people to dinner. Of course I do not wish to cause offence but if I may be up front about this, I am often in hideous pain. It's as if a luminous red bush fire is raging through my very being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; very nicely done. I don't worry about seasonal flatware. Guests can eat with what I've got or use their fingers. I remember a luminous red fire type pain from when I sprained my back and the muscle went into severe spasm.

      Delete
  10. You had me at "cheese factory." Of course I had to keep reading. You are good at pulling people into a story, and making them care about your characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; that little snippet is true, I did once work in a cheese making and milk bottling factory. It's nice that you get pulled in enough to care about the characters, it's what I hope to achieve. I know for myself I enjoy a book much more when I get pulled in and can relate to the characters.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs