Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Messymimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. employee 2. chaos 3. decide 4. water 5. immune 6. buffet 

and/or: 

1. prepence (premeditated or planned in advance) 2. pelf (wealth often dishonestly acquired) 3. coxcom ( a dandy, a vain or conceited man)

also including Charlotte's colour of the month: luminous bright red which I have used as neon

Here is my story:

There was total chaos in the employee lunch room as Bill and George yelled at each other, with Ann between them, trying to calm things down. Bill slammed his coffee mug onto the table causing the hot brown liquid to slosh over someone’s unfortunate sandwich. 

He fixed his eyes on Ann, sorrowfully telling her, “I was right, you are a gold digger. All this time pretending to decide between me and George and now this..this..coxcomb is flourishing a winning lottery ticket, you’ve decided he is the one for you. Wealth? Hah! More like pelf,” he said.

“I don’t even know what that means,” said Ann. “It means wealth dishonestly obtained,” said Bill. “That two million is already in his account, but he has conveniently forgotten that we bought it together and I paid for my half.” 

Ann turned to the other man. “George? Is this true?” “He did say all along that any amount of winnings wouldn’t make any difference to him, he was happy with his life just they way it is,” said George, “so why is he quibbling now? I have had premeditated plans in place for months for how I might spend it.”

“He is quibbling because you have been dishonest,” said Nancy, whose sandwich was the now soggy inedible result of the coffee spillage. “And I would add that he is more likely not totally immune to the dreams that come with the promise of riches.” 

Ann said to George, “so you just ‘forgot’ to mention the ticket had won the first prize?” 

Nancy, whose spiked hair was a brilliant neon red this week,  dropped her ruined lunch into the bin, then turned to the buffet table to select another option and after wiping the mess with a water-soaked napkin, sat down well away from the arguing pair.

“Shame on you,” said Ann to George. “I think you should go to the bank immediately with Bill and transfer half the money to his account.” She smiled brightly at Bill, letting him know that he was probably the better man after all. 

Bill wasn’t fooled though, he knew now she was a gold digger and probably only wanted him after all because he was a younger man and George might hand over half the money.” 


Comments

  1. Great use of the prompts. I hope that whatever happens Ann doesn't get her hands on the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Thank you, Ann does not get a single cent.

      Delete
  2. Excellent. Have to give th is some thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least they now know what kind of person she is. Well told!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; yes they do and both decide she is not the woman for them. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Nice story EC.
    Mine...
    It was utter chaos watching the other employee who had a low immune system after returning to work after having covid. I had to decide rather quickly that some water might help to calm her down so she hopefully could get her breath and rest after she had accidently pushed the buffet table over whilst serving herself dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; oh no! the whole buffet table? Good use of the words. Did you also post this at messymimi's site? It is her turn to provide the prompts this month.

      Delete
    2. No I didn't post on messymini's site R..

      Delete
    3. It's okay, not everyone posts on the site that provided the words. Yorkshire Pudding never did on mine, although he's welcome to if he wishes. So are you, Margaret.

      This is a very good use of the prompts!

      Delete
  5. You have me laughing out loud here (really!).
    I had the worst colleague. He sometimes fell asleep and even snored (really, I cannot make that up!).
    Colleague T then SLAMMED his coffee mug on the table so dumbhead woke up! Happened not only once...

    I am rich. Rich as in I am allowed a long holiday, sleeping hopefully in a "broken" cabin of the 1960s. (I contacted them again today... nothing!)

    My Brother had a girlfriend who was after the business my parents had built up. Bro now needs two jobs as with internet etc the business went down.
    Define rich...
    That girl ... terrible.

    Ingo would YELL at me as I would NOT drop the sandwich but still munch it down, LOL. I was raised to not waste food unless mould sneaked it.
    We really do have this discussion once in a while... But now with the crazy weather mould really does happen now - also colleagues have this!

    Hm. How old is Ann?
    I chose Ingo AMONGST OTHER cause of the age-gap. He was a man, all my age were still stupid boys.
    And now? Difficult! He has to make up 8 years, I do not want him to leave me...

    Oh, I joined you today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; thank you. I never had anyone slam a coffee mug near me, we didn't fall asleep in the factories! I think it might be different with a desk job when you just sit most of the time.
      I am not rich, I cannot afford a holiday away from home and then also pay for accommodation. I don't think rich can be defined. Very rich people always seem to want more and more, while little people like me feel rich if there is money left at the end of the month and we have enough to eat.
      My mum did not like to waste food either, she lived through the war years when nothing was wasted, but I am able to throw away food when it is too old to eat, I don't need mould, I just need to think how old it is and in the bin it goes. Mould is not the only bacteria that spoils food.
      I was thinking Ann might be about 25, the whole story is fiction, I made it up after I got home from visiting the twins, but I didn't take any photos of them :(

      Delete
    2. Thank you for joining this time, Iris Flavia.

      Delete
  6. I liked 'unfortunate sandwich' - it made me smile. Nice story about not-so-nice people. I hope they all get their comeuppance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; thank you. I'm sure they all end up with just what they deserve.

      Delete
  7. Neither man sounds like a prize. Nancy and her spiked neon hair are lucky that gold digger Ann is not into women, lest she turn her sights on someone with common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I suspect Ann will move on to another job, another town.

      Delete
  8. Glad I wasn't there.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; it might have been interesting to watch, it was a verbal argument, no actual fighting.

      Delete
  9. When I was an employee at the nuclear bomb factory just outside Adelaide it was utter chaos. I had to decide where to flush the waste water. Dressed in my anti-radiation suit I was immune from the obvious dangers but looked like Bibendum (The Michelin Man) at a buffet. Breaktimes could be long and boring so I often attempted crosswords while chomping on my cheese and pickle sandwiches. Often the clues would stump me. I remember several of them including "premeditated or planned in advance", "wealth often dishonestly acquired" and "a dandy, a vain or conceited man". The answers were "prepence", "pelf" and "coxcom" though Shakespeare always spelt the latter with a "b" at the end. I was advised to leave the nuclear bomb factory when my normally yellow urine turned luminous bright red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a sign to leave.

      Thanks for playing along, Yorkshire Pudding!

      Delete
    2. Yorkshire Pudding; that's definitely a sign to leave. Great story.

      Delete
  10. Oh well written story. I hope this golddigger had what she deserves. I would have left the room. I hate that kind of scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I have a feeling word gets around and the gold digger has to leave town. I would have left the room too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs