Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. supress 2. ballet 3. hero 4. warrant 5. partner 6. pressure 

and/or: 

1. treasure map 2. bus stop 3. egg roll 4. full moon 5. garden gnome 6. trash can

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month which is luminous red

Here is my story:

Several weeks later, on a sunny Saturday, a busload of women arrived in Lighthouse Village and were met by Khoral Kai who handed each of them a printed map of the Farmer’s Market grounds.  “ooh!” said Jenny, “this is just like a treasure map with each line of footprints leading to a new treasure!.” “So we can stick together or go our own way and not get lost,” said Gertie. “And then we meet up again here at the bus stop at four-thirty to go home again,” said Agnes.

“I’m so pleased you could all come,” said Khoral, “I hope you won’t miss my story-time at two o’clock. Just follow the crowd of children down the path by the big pink trash can.” “It’s lovely to see you here and thank you again for rescuing me, you were quite the hero getting me out of the thistles and I have never wandered away from the group since that day,” said Jenny.  “Good to hear, but you have a map today so you can wander as you wish and not get lost.”

The ladies all started off together, but soon drew apart as some wanted to spend longer at stalls than others who were anxious to see as much as possible. Their driver, Stanley, went into the Village first for lunch at a small Asian restaurant, he really loved fried rice with shrimp and egg roll and knew he would feel better wandering around without a growling stomach drawing him to the sweets stalls. Small purchases were made as the ladies moved from stall to stall, with oohs and aahs as they showed them off each time they met up.

“This place definitely warrants another visit,” said Agnes to Gertie. “I don’t think we’ll need to exert much pressure on Stanley to bring us either,” said Gertie. “Just look at him enjoying himself at the bakery stall. I wonder who that is he’s talking to? He seems quite animated.” “Perhaps he is finally looking for a new life partner,” said Agnes. “It had been some time since his wife died.” “I think he just wants friends,” said Gertie. “Look at the time! We need to find that pink trash can.” “That way,” said Agnes, “follow those children.”

Soon everyone was settled either on the grass or on rows of chairs as Khoral began his latest story with the help of Old Pete to “illustrate” It was a tale of a full moon night, when in Fairy Land the garden gnomes came to life and danced in the moonlight. No one at all was able to suppress their laughter as Old Pete dressed as a garden gnome with luminous red cheeks, appeared from the wings in a rainbow tutu and ballet slippers to dance across the stage as Khoral played his violin.

Comments

  1. I could see all this, especially Old Pete as the garden gnome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; thank you. I can see him too, tippy-toeing around the stage.

      Delete
  2. Lovely. Khoral is an asset to his new community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, Khoral is an asset everywhere, but his new community really values him.

      Delete
  3. Good stuff, River. Thank you for sharing and keeping the Wednesday Words tradition going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left my one liner on Mimi's post but I think it went to spam jail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great little story--I think I'm going to have what Stanley had for lunch tomorrow. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ApacheDug; thank you. Enjoy your shrimp fried rice and egg roll.

      Delete
  6. I'm a fan of farmer markets.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I am a fan too, but don't go very often.

      Delete
  7. Such a sweet story again. I can imagine Old Pete very well! And I feel like I want to go to the farmer´s market again, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I can picture Old Pete too. I don't go to the Farmers market in winter, but when the weather warms up I will, we have one here only once a month, up in the community park.

      Delete
  8. "Is it supress or suppress?" I thought to myself as I waited for the ballet to commence. It would star my hero Vladimir Ripemoff who I warrant has found a perfect partner in Elsie Riverofsky. The artistic pressure they put upon each other melts away as the curtain rises. It is a kind of magic - like finding an authentic treasure map at a bus stop.

    At the interval, I walked out onto the terrace to eat an egg roll in the silver light of a full moon. I washed it down with prosecco from a bottle that was shaped like a garden gnome. Being an environmentally responsible ballet-goer, I made sure that I popped my empty in a trash can before returning to my seat for the second half. Elsie pirouetted back onto the stage in a luminous red tutu. She looked fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; excellent story and you picked up on my spelling mistake which I didn't notice until now. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. Khoral is good at bringing in a crowd, and leaving them solidly entertained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; Khoral is a showman and draws a crown in moany places, though he can also be invisible in a crowd when he wants to be.

      Delete
    2. ack! that's "crowd" not crown :(

      Delete
    3. and "many" not moany, what on earth is wrong with my fingers today?

      Delete
  10. This sounds like so much good fun. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome story. Ignore spelling mistakes, people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; thank you. I didn't mind YP using the mistake to create his own small story.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs