Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, Delores, from Under The Porch Light, has a meme which she calls
“Words for Wednesday”.

She puts up a selection of six words which we then use in a short story, if we are able.
Sometimes I look at her words and nothing at all comes to mind.


This week's words are:

1. kindling
2. frenetic
3. visible
4. plot
5. doorstep
6. clapping

Here is my short story:

Orlando locked his door, pocketed his key and buried the spare under the third rock in the garden plot beside his doorstep and headed to the showgrounds.

Just an hour later, sweat was visibly flying, with the crowd roaring and clapping their approval at the frenetic pace as Orlando and the other woodchoppers reduced the centre portions of their logs to kindling.

Orlando's axe swung sweet and true, the blade biting deep and releasing easily. 
He knew the trophy would be his again this year. 
Next year, he would have to watch out for young Mac, down at the end there, his swing was much stronger and more confident than it had been last year. 

Comments

  1. Brilliant. I was there with the crowd, applauding Orlando (and you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm; thank you.

    Elephant's Child; he's going to have to try much harder next year against the up and coming younger choppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story and so Australian too although I am sure they do have log chops in other countries. I was a bit apprehensive for a while but Orland was OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimsie; coincidentally I overheard a conversation on the bus today, with two women discussing how they always enjoyed the wood chopping contest at the Royal Show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done - great story. I couldn't get anywhere with those words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story. We have those contests here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jabblog; I have weeks like that. I stare and stare at the list of words for hours, then a story comes to me in my sleep.

    Delores; Thank you. I've never actually watched a wood chopping contest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! I love the wood chopping at the royal show and used to love it on TV when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs