Wednesday's Words on a Friday

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write, a story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by Carolyn McBride and can be found here.

This week's words are:

1. starship
2. unicorns
3. dogs
4. life
5. coma
6. stroke
7. fiction
8. award

Here is my story:

As a very young child, Bernadette was often lost in daydreams of castles filled with fairies who rode around on pink unicorns.

A little later during the pre-teen years her thoughts switched to the stars and as she watched each Star Trek episode Bernadette dreamed of one day being captain of her own starship. Zipping through the universe, discovering life on other planets seemed like a fabulous way to live. Bernie wondered a lot about Pluto. Would she find dogs there? Was the planet named after the Disney cartoon dog?

Throughout the years as Bernadette watched more and more television, her mother would warn her that one day her mind might just get sucked into those advertisements and her body would be left in a coma right there in the armchair. Bernie just laughed at that, of course it wasn't at all possible to have one's mind sucked in. 

Now at fifty-five, Bernie sits by the fire in winter, out on her deck in summer, strokes her dogs and cats and gives thanks to those early television years that gave her so much to imagine and led her to write so many award winning fiction novels.

Comments

  1. After my surgery, I went into a coma and died. I always wondered what happens after death, and it's about the same as a bad acid trip. I met a unicorn on a starship, surrounded by dogs trying to jettison him from his seat at the controls. (Unicorns cannot fly worth a crap.)

    When we finally landed, I returned to life where I got an award for my fictional memory. No one believes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your story!!

      Delete
    2. Well that made me laugh. I had no idea unicorns could fly spaceships :)

      Delete
  2. As always, a great use of the prompts. Unicorns and dragons featured a lot in my childhood. First and second childhoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I had a lot of dragons in my childhood, not so many unicorns, I liked the dark side of fairy land.

      Delete
  3. Lots of fun! A great little story, River...now, you'll have to excuse me I have to go saddle up my unicorn...I'm off to the supermarket! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; pick me up a dozen free range eggs, okay? That will save me going out tomorrow :)

      Delete
    2. Done! I've sent them down to you on board the Starship! :)

      Delete
  4. I will have to think about those prompts, so I will write them down
    starship
    unicorns
    dogs
    life
    coma
    stroke
    fiction
    awards
    Nothing has come to mind so I wondered out into the garden to think, the beer fairy was off to the shops and he asked if the shopping list was ready, on the table I said but being a man he didn't read it and picked up the wrong one.
    Interesting shopping this week what will he come back with.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; if he comes back with unicorns and starships please take photos!!

      Delete
  5. Sweet story.
    Started to write one with the words, but got interrupted for a fair while..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; thank you. Perhaps you could get back to it?

      Delete
  6. Good turn of events for Bernadette. And nice story for you. :)

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; Just goes to show daydreaming kids CAN do well.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. only slightly confused; Bernie has done well and continues to write.

      Delete
  8. Always the wish for daydreaming kiddos like me and you:-) Loved this River.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs