Wednesday's Words on a Friday

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write, a story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.


This month the words are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here.


This week's words are:


1. river
2. dashing
3. free
4. shrug
5. interest
6. naive

and/or:

1. light
2. wax
3. winter
4. bucket
5. disillusioned
6. super

and there is an image which I haven't used :(

Here is my story:

The churning waters of the river, dashing wild and free towards the ocean, usually brought peace of mind as I walked along its banks. Today I had too much on my mind and the sight held little interest for me.

With a small shrug, I turned away and trudged towards home. Passing through the orchard, I picked up the bucket waiting by the gate and filled it with apples on my way to the house. The low winter sunlight cast long shadows as dusk neared.

Entering the kitchen I called out to Mum. "I'm home! Got a bucket of apples too." Mum came in from buffing the new coat of wax on the old dining table and gave me a hug. 

"It's good to see you Lisa, your phone call earlier had me worried a bit, but I know you. You'll bounce back from this. You're not the first naive girl to be disillusioned by something like this and you won't be the last. That's a super load of apples, how about we make some apple pies?"

Comments

  1. That reads like the beginning of a story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; yes it does, but I don't know how or if it will develop.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely little vignette - and reads like a prologue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; short and sweet, a bit like me Ha Ha. I can see now how it looks like a prologue, although I didn't see that as I wrote it.

      Delete
  3. A delicious, still warm, home-made apple pie with custard will do the trick! Yum!

    Good use of the words, River. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; yum indeed. I just happen to have a fridge crisper full of apples waiting to be made into a pie, but clearing the workspace to make pastry is a hassle.

      Delete
  4. A fresh apple pie can sort out a load of woes. Great start....what is she disillusioned about? More next week please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; fresh apple pie, home made of course, is one of my favourite things. The what is something I didn't really think about.

      Delete
  5. Very nicely done River, you again have done really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm worried about Lisa, but I think she will weather the rough patch just fine. Her mother's apply pie therapy can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; Lisa will be fine, she's made of good stock, tough and able to bounce back easily from disappointments. Apple pie therapy should be available to everyone.

      Delete
  7. Lovely story, and of course the sea as I recall you love to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; I do love the ocean and miss living near enough to small the salty air.

      Delete
  8. I am always interested in how those of you on my reading list handle the challenge. Each goes in a different direction but each tells a story. Really like the warmth of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I like the different ways everybody uses the words too. Thank you

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs