Sunday Selections # 231



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
  Andrew often joins in too, but he is currently holidaying in the summery northern hemisphere, hopefully taking lots of photos.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm showing you my garden. again.

I was given this echeveria by neighbour T; it's quite sprawling and floppy, so I've propped it up with my square pot. I broke sections off it and planted them , now I'm waiting for them all to take off. That won't happen until spring, so I've got quite a wait ahead. 

Here is one of the tinier heads that dropped off as I moved the plant into place. I put it in the pot so it wouldn't get lost in the mulch.

And here is one of the bigger sections I broke off to plant.

Spring bulbs are popping up all over, these floppy ones are freesias, the dense patches, back left and right, are the kangaroo paws.

tall Ixias growing inside the windmill frame for support.

Bluebells, the foliage looking right now like miniature clivia.

look who's been following me outside. AngelBoy. I changed my mind about keeping him in, I have him out there when I'm outside, he wanders around and I catch him and bring him back in when I'm going in.
Look at that facial expression, what do you suppose he's thinking? He's a lot happier now and sleeps better at night, which is much better for me too.

Ranunculus; just a small patch, many of the bulbs I stored crumbled away to dust.

grape hyacinth or starflower? we'll have to wait and see.

Anemone, already beginning to bloom; a little blurry as the breeze was blowing.

a second bud already formed.

I have several of these green aeonium cuttings from neighbour T, they're a little droopy as they've just been stuck in the ground and don't yet have a root system for support.

I'm fairly sure these densely filled pots are freesias; as I took this photo I noticed my chickens have 'lost' their feet in the mulch. Well at least they won't blow over in a strong wind.

I don't remember what these are, or if they will flower, I have two of them, also from T.

another large piece off the sprawling echeveria.

My mint, which began so promisingly, is looking very sad. I'll see if it grows again in spring, if not I'll buy a new plant then.

in between this tractor,

and this cat (with the spider-web beard),

is a large empty space, which will be filled in the spring,

with these,

and these,

and these. 
I also have...

six black aeonium cuttings which I will space out between the green ones. 

This time next year, I'm hoping it will all be starting to grow together, filling gaps and looking pretty.
There's even going to be a wide and shallow pot, or two, for the miniature succulents.
























Comments

  1. Our kitties sometimes get to go out in our fully fenced backyard when we're both out there.. everywhere else we've lived it has been too dangerous to let them out, eg living on a main road type of thing. Even here if we didn't have the fenced yard it would be a no, too many cars drive around here too fastly.

    My Sunday Selections post will go live at 5am. :)

    http://www.snoskred.org/2015/07/sunday-selections-week-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking to buy almost the exact plants. With water restrictions, people here in San Diego have crispy brown grass, and are planting succulents. Yours are absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have a garden plan. Very summery here. Why didn't anyone tell me Canada is so hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in (currently very dry) Southern California--love your succulents!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good. Looking very good.
    And Angel looks very happy (and beautiful) too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have planted so many anemone they may knock on my front door soon. I love them. Your blue is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A happy cat is a happy Angel! He must think all his Christmases have come at once! :) I let my two out when I get up in the morning...or, at least, once the sun has risen...never when it's still dark. They're only outside for about 30mins each morning; many times for much less...they come bounding back inside, letting me know they've arrived! And then, they're rewarded with their breakfast; and we're all happy. I never completely relax until they inside again.

    I hope you have a great week, River...cuddles to Angel. Don't let him hang with gang down the road! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ... good Morning River.... I love your succulents... it will be gorgeous when the freesias bloom.. my Mum loves freesias..... a beautiful spring is coming...
    AngelBoy looks very happy to be outside... :)
    Hugs... Barb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snoskred; no fence at all here, my garden patch is right beside the communal driveway, 20 yards down is the road :( That's why I bring Angel in when I go in.

    Susan Kane; it's a pretty selection and once they all get growing I can take pieces from each and start new plants, so eventually I'll have pots on the porch too.

    Andrew; I hope this plan works out, the last one was a complete bust. I'm sure someone must have mentioned Canada's summer heat sometime, but you probably thought of Australian summer and decided Canada couldn't be so bad.

    fishducky; you'd have the perfect climate for a succulent garden.

    Elephant's Child; looking good and hopefully soon looking much better. Angel loves being outside.

    Joanne; I'm hoping all the bulbs will multiply and be doubled by next year. I'm looking forward to seeing your anemones.

    Lee; Angel wouldn't come back in at all if I didn't catch him. Well, maybe he would, but I'm not sure I want to try leaving him out just yet. Mostly because I don't want to leave my doors open for him; anyone could walk in.

    Barbara; I love them too, they're pretty as well as water-wise, I love freesias too and the Ixias are so delicate and softly coloured.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angel has grown since I last saw a good picture. You always have a lovely garden, even in winter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see the bulbs coming through...you are going to have a pretty show come spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's all lovely and very environmentally friendly. I love freesias so how lucky you are to be able to grow them in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Christine; Angel is full grown now, he shouldn't get any larger, unless I feed him too much. The garden is a constant work in progress; I tried a few things which didn't work out, the remains of those plans are still there, the succulents will fill the gaps.

    whiteangel; ther aren't as many bulbs as I hoped, I had them stored and many crumbled away to dust. but they will gradually multiply as the seasons pass.

    Craig; freesias are quite hardy and grow just about anywhere, they're the ones I have the most bulbs of so there will be a riot of colour if all those pots bloom at once.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs