Sunday Selections # 234



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
  Andrew often joins in too,and now that he is back from his holiday, we'll probably see more of his photographs from that his time in Canada and New York

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm taking you all back to Adelaide's Central Market. 
I haven't been back there myself, these photos are from November 2011.

Everybody ready? Got your walking shoes on? Here we go>>

250 shops! Hope you brought your wallets.

many of those shops are the fruit and vegetable stalls, with regular customers having their favourites.

there are a couple of flower stalls, this one had beautiful bunches of peonies for sale. 
I usually look ahead before passing these stalls, if there are oriental lilies on show, I'll walk the other way.

The Old Lolly Shop was a favourite for a few years, we always got several varieties of lollies for sharing after dinner.

I love browsing in these types of shops, so much to see, a little of everything.

Hot Bread, quite possibly the most wonderful aroma in the world on a cold winter Saturday.

the breads were available in many wonderful shapes,

and the cheesy croissants always smelled delicious.

another bread shop.

the cheese shop had fabulous cheesy aromas wafting from the dishes of tasting samples,

and more varieties than I ever knew existed. 
I rarely bought from here and when I did I stuck to buying what I knew would get eaten,

usually the milder varieties, Edam, Gouda, but sometimes the smoked Edam found its way home with us. 

the western side of the market encompasses Chinatown, with all things Asian, including a very busy, very noisy Food Hall where many-generationed families would be sitting spooning up hot&sour soup with dumplings, or chow mein or any of the many other varieties of foods available. 

Chinatown has a large Asian supermarket where I buy my cleaver style knives. They're cheap, long lasting and very comfortable in my hand. 
They come in many sizes and it's a simple matter to pick up each size and hold it as if preparing to chop or slice something. This way you get the one that is right for you.

and here are my favourite blades. 
The tiny one doesn't get used much, I mostly use the one in front and the one at the back. The big one in the middle is excellent for cutting hot pizza, it has a straight blade, while the other two have a slight curve.

















Comments

  1. What a wonderful market. Cheese, bread and flowers under one roof make sit my kind of place. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful market. Cheese, bread and flowers under one roof make sit my kind of place. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Very interesting market. With so many shops one can spend the whole day walking around and doing window shopping. Sure, it is a place to splurge money because the temptations are too many.

    Lovely photos.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want some of that hot bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten about those markets. I went once while visiting a friend and had a wonderful time. We spent hours and hours and hours there. Thank you so much for taking me back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The variety of cheeses make me drool; and I can smell the delicious breads from here! I loved the stroll through the markets this morning. I'll just sit here at these stalls with a cup of coffee while I wait your return...meet you back here! :)

    I spent yesterday baking...making date-walnut-banana-coffee loaves, and in a few minutes I'm about to make four carrot-pineapples cakes. I was asked if I'd make a cake/s to help fit out a cake stall that will be set up outside our local post office on Monday morning. I couldn't say no...and, anyway, it's for a good cause..."Animal Welfare. Remy & Shama kept urging me on..."Do it! Do it!" So I've gone crazy in the baking department.

    Have a good week, River...cuddles to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great place I could spend many hours there wondering around and most likely spending to much money too.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love such markets - they are vibrant and alive with amazing colours, scents, textures and energies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many things I miss about Adelaide and the Central Markets is a big one. I used to go there a lot.

    My post is up here -

    Sunday Selections Week 30

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks a wonderful market. I'm not a market person but would visit that one..

    ReplyDelete
  11. My site might be down temporarily though.. :) Technical Guru wants to do something..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Craig; Central Market has been a fixture in Adelaide for many, many years. Open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and half day Saturday. Getting there about an hour before Saturday closing means picking up great bargains from many of the stalls.

    Joseph Pulikotil; it's a great place to shop and people watch; it has a great atmosphere and everyone is happy.

    fishducky; me too. Even knowing I will be uncomfortable later.

    Elephant's Child; I haven't been to Central Market in 4 years, I really must get back there. It's open three and a half days a week and has been there at least 50 years.

    Lee; we had our favourite coffee shop to sit with a hot chocolate or cappuccino and wait for people. "meet you at Lucia's". We always walked slowly past the cheese and coffee beans stalls to breathe in as much as we could.
    I haven't made cakes for stalls since the kids were in Primary school; then I usually made batches of brownies and they always sold out quickly. Now I'm wanting carrot pineapple cake, but the freezer is full of ginger cake and lemon cake, so I'd better hold off making one.

    Merle; it is a great place and quite famous because Sammy Davis Jnr once wandered around in there. He was staying at the Hilton hotel right next door and looked down to see the market and asked if he could go there. He was really surprised to find he could just walk around and not get bothered by anyone.

    Vicki; you've described it exactly, the colours, the scents and sounds. I love it.

    Snoskred; I used to be there every week, it was the cheapest place for enough food to feed a family of six. i'll check your site later this evening, give Tech Guru time to finish whatever he is doing.

    whiteangel; if you come through Adelaide on your way home you could stop in if the day is right. it's CLOSED Sunday, Monday and Wednesday, also Saturday afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love markets like this, but they are (unsurprisingly) difficult to find in Indiana. We are getting a few, here and there... mostly there.
    My Sunday Selections post is now up btw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful market. I am saddened that I can no longer meander round such places altho' not sure where we have them these days.
    Do you know I have never owned a cleaver knife. Not sure I'd manage one now. Probably chop a finger or two. (*:*)
    Thanks so much for sharing such a delightful place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some fresh food markets can be too big but from my memory, Adelaide's is just the right size. It is a very good market.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jac; this one is right here in the city, but there are similar ones in outer suburbs.

    Mimsie; it's my favourite market in all of Adelaide. I find my cleavers easier to use than regular kitchen knives, they seem to have a better handle/blade balance.

    Andrew; it's a good size, not too large, not too small. Best market in SA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think my first stop would be the cheese shop - and then Chinatown for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like these pictures. It ALMOST makes me want to go see the place in winter. Almost! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs