Sunday Selections #562

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look.

This week I went to Glenelg, but first, a few photos from home:

I bought a bigger dish to use as a bird bath, the birds are lining up to use it! Just yesterday there was the biggest of the crows drinking, then he hopped off and a brown dove took a turn, followed by a small black and white bird.


it is terracotta, on three legs with a glazed interior. I love it. The white dish is now down in the garden, for other birds or small animals.


it is right on the edge of my small porch which has quite a drop-off, not only at the porch,


but also quite a way down the path. When I first moved in the dirt was higher and the grass came right up to the porch and path.


this is the other side of path and porch. The automatic sprinkler system got cut off about three years after I moved in and no one remembered to turn it back on once the water restrictions were eased. So the soil dried out and shrunk away and the grass died and now I have a trip hazard. Luckily the path is wide enough that I don't have to worry. 
Yet.


this is a Tiramisu cupcake, made by "no-one"  and very delicious. I cut it open so you could see the 'smile' inside. I had two of them and managed to save the other one for after dinner.


this blurry image is a bird in a tree, two of them were on the porch drinking from the bowl and got scared away when I stepped closer. They were greyish brown with white tips on the tail. I checked my bird book and it seems they are Currawongs. I did not know we had them here in SA. 


and here I am at Glenelg


I have never seen the Esplanade so empty, of course it was a weekday, but usually even then there are tourists. I guess Covid has them all staying home.


On my way to a specific location I saw this tiny metal kangaroo


and a pilot in a plane


and here is why I came to Glenelg, to see "Spoonville"! (Maybe it was Spoonerville)


these "Spoonies" gardens are in several places, probably you have them in your state too?


the spoons are decorated and placed by children, to cheer up other children, much the same as the Teddy Bears in windows, to help keep spirits up while we are not allowed to be out and about as much.


a few more here,


a few more there


and the last of them.


on my back to the tram stop I saw these nicely decorated plant pots, almost a metre tall and a very nice mural behind them but I didn't have time to walk around and get the full image.  

Comments

  1. I really, really like your new bird bath. Watching birds drink and bathe is always a joy.
    That kangaroo sculpture is a beauty too.
    I have heard of Spoonville but haven't seen it. I will have to keep my eyes open, though our covid restrictions (for children anyway) are just about gone. For the moment.
    The trip hazard would worry me and I am glad that you can avoid it for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I am very happy with the new bird bath, I found it at Bunnings. I'd heard of Spoonville, but didn't know where any of them were until I saw this one in the newspaper with the address.
      The trip hazard is only a worry when elderly neighbours come up the path with their walkers, which is not often.

      Delete
  2. Goodness, the erosion by the walkway really does look like a hazard. Keep being careful.
    That spoon garden is really cute and glad the children had a hand in it. I really like that mural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; the erosion wasn't too bad for quite a while but the past couple of years has seen it almost double. Buried pieces of old pathways are coming to light. I like the mural too and there were others that I didn't bother photographing in my search for a public toilet.
      The spoon gardens are all children's work, with adults only supervising placement.

      Delete
  3. Hi River...the edge and drop-off of the path certainly is an accident waiting to happen!

    Currawongs join the kookas, butcher birds, maggies and crows who hang around on this property, and my cabin each afternoon to get their dinner...(the meat scraps from when I cut up Remy and Shama's dinner). They're very chatty chappies.

    There is no bird bath here, but there is a rather large pond a little further up the property, halfway between my cabin and the landlords' home. The wood ducks along with the other birds train for the Olympics in it!

    I hope you have a good week ahead...take care. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; as long as I live in this flat I won't be having an accident on that path, it's wide enough for people who are careful and steady on their feet. But I worry about neighbours who cross the lawn at night, taking shortcuts instead of using the paths around the lawns. I can't be responsible for them.

      Delete
  4. The bird bath looks terrific, a very nice pottery work and it looks to be hand made. It's not too deep for birds to take a bath?

    Currawongs are common here and I don't know why you would not have them. Their call is quite distinctive.

    Without tourists, I guess the tram was quiet too and you had a seat for the whole trip.

    I really like the tin toys.

    I remember coming across a Spoonie Garden last year. I am sure I put a photo of the garden up. It was a nice find during our depressing lock down time.

    Like a ferry trip to Manly in Sydney is must do, so is catching the tram the tram to Glenelg in Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I worried about the bath being too deep, but I've seen the smaller doves in there and the biggest of the crows, so it should be okay. The smaller magpie larks will have to be satisfied with a wing splash.
      I have read the Currawongs call is bell-like, but these birds didn't sound like that.
      The tram was almost empty, going both ways, so I had the seat I prefer both times.
      There are a lot of really good tin toys around these days, I see them everywhere, I just don't know where to buy them. Perhaps Bunnings?
      I don't remember your Spoonie Garden.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I saw some small ones at Bunnings on Saturday morning. I've seen them a nurseries and $2 type shops.

      Delete
  5. The tiny spoon villages are so joyful! I hear that the government there has decided against locking you guys down again. No doubt because people fought back the first time against that tyranny and good for them. Here is hoping that you stay safe and happy and healthy all summer long!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Elf Mom; I love the Spoon Gardens. I think the government kept the borders open for the sake of the businesses. I don't recall my state fighting too hard against the lockdowns first time around, we knew it was to keep us safe and it worked. We are mostly all vaccinated now, with 80% fully vaccinated and 90% having had at least one shot.

      Delete
  6. You've made the birds and yourself happy, a win-win.

    Spooner villages, i've not seen that, i really like it.

    Those are some tall and pretty planters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; the tall and wide planters are in an open space where many tourists and locals walk through and gather, so the whole area is quite pretty. Perhaps you could encourage a few spoon villages in your area, they are made by children.
      The birds are very happy with the new birdbath.

      Delete
  7. Bowl in first picture is pretty and I never heard of Tiramisu cupcake.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I love the bowl. My daughter found the recipe online for the Tiramisu cupcakes. She makes a couple of batches every year around her birthday and takes them to work to share.

      Delete
  8. The cupcake is also a treat for the eyes! I have not heard of Spoonervilles, but we do have the Teddy Bears around here. The colors on those bright plant pots remind me of Peter Max posters back in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; the cupcakes was a delicious treat for the mouth too. Perhaps you could start some Spoonvilles, have a chat to former teacher pals who can then tell the kiddies.
      I know nothing of Peter Max posters, my 70s were very busy with a houseful of babies.

      Delete
  9. Oh, it must be a joy to watch the birds behaving nicely like that!
    Wish humans would take after that example! Just yesterday at the cash out one woman came so close I had to tell her off!

    Sad about the grass being gone, and the soil.
    Your cake really does smile... totally unaware of what´s going to happen next, poor thing that ;-)

    Yes, empty streets I reckon we have to get used to.
    The roo is cute.
    The pilot reminds me of "Le Petitce Prince" de Saint-Exupéry! I have the book right here, the only French I have and still understand.
    In Perth at the bank I saw a young guy wearing a t-shirt with one of the paintings from that book - I gave him a smile and thumbs up.... and he had no idea, how sad.

    Love the spooners! No, we sadly don´t have this (that I know of). The kindy next door had stones like that. Must have a look if they kept it up.

    Cool mural, too. and the pots - color and art so makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I do enjoy watching the birds, their lives are so simple, just food, drink, fun.
      I still have a lot of grass left, just not near the porch where the land was sloping quite sharply. Maybe you could show the pictures of the Spoonies to the kindy and give them an idea.
      The pots and murals do really brighten up the area for people.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful bird bath you have there river, you will make many a bird happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; I was so happy to find a birdbath with my favourite colour.

      Delete
  11. I like that metal kangaroo; and the bird bath. We've put a couple out in the garden.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; I shall keep an eye out for metal ornaments for my own garden, but they will have to be bolted down because of thieves. Do you see many birds using the birdbaths?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have devoted an area at the back of the garden for birds and other creatures like hedgehogs and various insects.

      God bless.

      Delete
  12. A Spoonville filled with Spoon people - how nice and funny, we have only had teddies and perler rainbows around.
    I love your new bird bath, and the description of bird staniging in line is adorable. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; that's why it is called Spoonville, because of the spoons which get called Spoonies. We had teddies for a while, but many were outside in trees and on fences and got badly weather damaged.
      I love the colour in the birdbath, it's my favourite shade of green.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs