Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. out of sight, out of mind 

2. absence makes the heart grow fonder 

3. puppy love 

4. love laughs at locksmiths 

5. love is blind 

6. a face only a mother could love

Here is my story: 

Teacher: “Settle down girls and boys. Now do you all have your papers ready? On the board here are the phrases I gave you last week to think about. You remember I said these sayings were quite common on Earth about two centuries ago. Some still say such things these days. Now I want to hear your thoughts. Camille can you read yours first please.”

Camille: “I’ve heard it said that “Love is Blind” and perhaps that’s true, at least until the honeymoon is over and the real living together begins.

I’ve also heard “A face that only a Mother could love” and when two such people marry it is easy to believe that Love truly is blind.

Then there is “Puppy Love” called so because it usually applies to young ones who supposedly aren’t old enough for such feelings, but what about Janet and Michael? They were inseparable since kindergarten, married at twenty and died within a week of each other in their eighties.”

Teacher: “Who were they?”

Camille: “My great grandparents.”

Teacher: “What about “Out of Sight, Out of Mind?” Your turn Ben.

Ben: “That’s probably easier for people with little emotional attachment to others. Like my Aunt Elle, once she divorced that second husband she never thought of him again.”

Teacher: “Astra, your thoughts on “Absence makes the heart grow fonder", please”

Astra: “my mum says my grandma always harped on about how awful was the small town she grew up in, said she would never go back there, but as she got older, she mellowed and began to tell nicer stories about the time she lived there."

Teacher: “very good Astra. Now, who wants to tell me about “Love Laughs at Locksmiths?”

Kyle: “maybe that has more to do with ancient fairy tales, like the one called Sleeping Beauty, where the Princess was asleep in a glass case that no one could open until the right Prince Charming came along and without any opening, managed to kiss the Princess to wake her.”


Comments

  1. Really liked the sweet answer to Puppy Love but actually I have never heard of the one "Love Laughs at Locksmiths?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I never heard that one either. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely use of my phrases. Thank you. I always took 'love laughs at locksmiths' as being another way of saying love will find a way - and will overcome obstacles - which means that Kyle is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you and I think Kyle is right too.

      Delete
  3. Oh. I´ve read about this, too. Partner dies, other follows in days and yes, I can find kind words about my home-town now...
    Sweet ending. There are many love locks attached to our bridge around the corner - we kept ours here :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; it happened here too, on the news a couple of weeks ago an elderly couple died within a week and were buried together in one funeral. That's where I got the idea. I sometimes think about the town where I grew up, but still never want to go back.

      Delete
    2. It´s hard. I would not know what to do or if I wanted to live on without Ingo, I might just join the "series"...
      Always rather frustrating to see my old hometown. Hasn´t changed for the better, sadly...

      Delete
  4. Never heard of love laughs at locksmiths!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; I never heard of it either.

      Delete
  5. Well done River, I admit to being defeated by the phrases, my brain was in lockdown. Modern thinking has a different take on the Sleeping Beauty story......

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; I was stumped by the phrases too for quite a while, but managed something in the end.

      Delete
  6. I love your use of these sentences. Love laughs at locksmiths is new to me as well, but I like Kyle's explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you, I like Kyle's reasoning too.

      Delete
  7. A wonderful lesson from the children's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; children are sometimes excellent teachers.

      Delete
  8. Your first two sayings reminded me of something I've heard over the years, that two ugly people usually have cute kids. I've never done a study on it, heh, heh, but different friends in different towns at different times, have professed this to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so clever. What a perfect way to use every phrase and also a very entertaining way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs