Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. meet 

2. glimpses 

3. apples 

4. taste 

5. memory 

6. garden 

and/or: 

1. letters 

2. year 

3. marvellous 

4. ways 

5. mother 

6. shadow

Here is my story:

The letters had come each year on my birthday, from my Aunt Barbara, but this one was different. It was signed “your loving Mother”. I stared at it for quite a while, noting the handwriting was the same as always, so it was definitely from Aunt Barbara, but the story had astonished me.

Barbara had been a shadow member of my family since I was born, often talked about, but always living just too far away to be able to visit. But she had visited. This latest letter explained quite a lot. While I hadn’t seen her, she had seen me. There had been glimpses of me playing in the garden, the face I’d made at my first taste of apples as a baby.

Aunt Barbara explained how, as a fourteen year old, she had been besotted with a local boy and after sneaking out to be with him several times, she became pregnant. With me! My parents had told me of the year long holiday they took all those years ago, with Mum’s much younger sister Barbara and while they were away, I was born. Somewhere along the way, Barbara was enrolled in a school and didn’t come home with us. My memory wasn’t clear on the details.

But now, this letter, from Barbara! Who wasn’t my mother’s younger sister at all, but her daughter, and my true Mother. My Mother had been my Grandmother. She had died five years ago, without ever telling me. Barbara went on to tell me of the day I was born, the labor had been the hardest work she had ever done, but once born, I was the most marvellous thing she had ever seen. Letters and postcards had been sent to friends and neighbours of how my mother (Grandmother, I thought to myself now) had been so surprised to discover she was expecting again after so long and was now happy to announce the birth of another daughter.

The final paragraph hardly surprised me. Barbara wanted to meet me. She had seen me around town a few times and knew who I was, because I was like her in so many ways. I didn’t know what to do. Of course I wanted to meet her, but what would I say? How would we begin to get to know each other? 


Comments

  1. This is a very different and wonderful take on my prompts. I suspect it was true in many a family as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I suspect it happened more than people know, but I am glad this baby was kept within the family and not adopted away to strangers.

      Delete
  2. These secrets come out, sooner or later. My hope is they will meet, and grow close as they were not allowed to do all those years before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; they did almost meet when the baby was much younger, or at least the mother got to see her. I'm picturing the baby now at age 25 and meeting her now 39 year old mother. I think they get on very well and build a life together.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a convoluted relationship. The truth usually does come out eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I wonder how many "aunties" out there are actually the mothers of the children?

      Delete
  4. Quite a story! Who knows for how many this was sad reality.
    Must be odd, both must be very nervous, I could imagine.
    I hope they become friends. It reminds me a wee bit of the series Gilmore Girls, wasn´t Lorelai only 16 when she got Rory?
    On the way to the city I can take one route that goes via a Youth Centre. There is a huge sign, pregnant girls from 14-21 are welcome. 21 and "girl"? Today getting pregnant unwillingly?
    As always: Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I would be very nervous too, but I imagine they are much alike and will get on well. I remember Lorelei was only 16 when Rory was born, but it's a show I can't watch. They talk much too fast and I just can't understand what they are saying. "no-one" loves that show. Even at 21, some do get pregnant unwillingly. Contraception is not 100% effective.

      Delete
    2. Too fast talking for you?! You are native (I watch it in English, one gets used to it and it´s good practice).
      By seeing the "kids" there they are not bright enough for contraception, reckon some not even go to school, and no, I´m not being mean... They are just unlucky coming from "dumb" parents... It´s too easy, not like in Australia. In Australia, as far as I´ve learned, you get help from government for a while and then you have to find a job, some job.
      Much, much different here.

      Delete
    3. As on comments on my site, I answered you this:
      River, I have looked - since I have three blogs maybe there is none. Or as per se I seem to have a German verion, it´s a mix!
      I had to create this blog when I wanted to comment on an Aussie site...
      I also looked at the connected e-mail-address, nothing!
      Tom seems to have the same problem - I read that in other blogs, too.
      I always save what I wrote in my cache and when I don´t see it´s published and still not there after refreshing the site, I try again and latest the third time it shows up.
      Annoying, but it´s a free tool.

      See, and I thought you are mad at me.
      Hrgh, blogger!
      I asked in the German version, but don´t expect an answer...
      I would say I am sorry, but it clearly is blogger´s fault (Ok, still I am truly sorry as well as mad at blogger).

      Delete
    4. Iris; not mad at you, mad at blogger, I'll have to start saving my comments to repost if they get lost.

      Delete
    5. That´s at least two being mad at blogger...

      Delete
  5. So well written. And yes, I suspect many last borns to be grandchildren. I think theyøll become more like sisters than mother and child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I think they will become friends, as close as sisters.

      Delete
  6. It is a familiar theme in history.
    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn Jilks; sadly, that's true. And even in these days probably still happens.

      Delete
  7. I'd like to think that they will slowly get to know each other, and develop a strong family bond, and make up for the lost time together in their youths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; yes and slowly, they can't rush into it after all this time.

      Delete
  8. Where we used to meet there were glimpses of the sea. Red apples hung from a gnarled old tree. Their sweet taste remains in my memory as much as hazy images of that coastal garden.

    While I was away in Europe she sent me letters. This went on for a year or two. It was always marvellous to hear from her. She perfumed the notepaper in different ways. Often she referred to her late mother and the long shadow her passing had cast over the seaside village.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs