Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. life 

2. lost 

3. told 

4. wild 

5. silence 

and/or: 

1. year 

2. enchanted 

3. twice 

4. impossible 

5. stars

Here is my story:

The year my grand daughter began high school, my son asked me to stay for a weekend so he and his partner could have an anniversary break in a fancy hotel. Of course I said yes, packed a bag and caught a train to the outer suburbs. I lived very close to the city and had forgotten how quiet life could be far away from the hustle and bustle.

Their home was within walking distance of a shopping centre in one direction and fast food places in the other direction, but far enough away from both and from the main road to be able to hear no traffic sounds at all. The back garden had been allowed to grow wild and I worried their tiny dog might become lost out there, but she knew her way around, so I stopped looking for her every time she went out.

Grand daughter N and I had a great time, we told each other things we’d been up to, I learned which girls at school were her friends, who the mean girls were and that her favourite part of school was coming home at the end of the day. I didn’t have to do any cooking, there were frozen meals in the freezer, or a choice of fast food delivery menus on the counter. We decided on pizza and knocked on the older brother’s bedroom door to see if he wanted one too. He had a computer set up in his room and played games, I think I saw him once the entire weekend, when he came out to make sure N was eating and rinsing off her dishes.

The first night was hard, with both kids asleep and complete silence surrounding the neighbourhood, I found it impossible to sleep. Twice I wandered out to the porch to stare at the deeply black sky studded with twinkling stars. If this was a fairy tale, the night might have been enchanted. I eventually fell asleep and on the second and third nights, I was used to the silence and slept better and longer. Coming back to my own home closer to the city, I was astonished at the level of light and sound I had become inured to over the years, especially the nights sounds. 


Comments

  1. Another lovely vignette. True silence can be almost deafening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I had forgotten how truly quiet nights can be. I liked it.

      Delete
  2. Oh, boy, I´ll never get the gaming thing!
    Ingo has a colleague, 50+ years old, lives with his parents, never had a partner and is into gaming after work 100%.
    What kind of a life is that. Sad.
    Yes. I miss the silence/nature sounds.
    The main fire brigade is 2 streets away - but we thankfully never hear them - they turn on their signals only later, good guys, that!

    I join you for a change, too :-)
    it´s about your beautiful country, what else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; this boy was mid teens and played with his friends on his computer in his room while they were on their computers at their homes. He is in his twenties now and holds a full time job, saving for his first home. He still likes gaming, but it is not his only focus now. I feel sorry for those who do nothing but gaming, but it is their choice.

      Delete
  3. The silence sounds wonderful to me but then I might just miss the traffic sounds I hear on the busy highway in front of my house. Glad you got the chance to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I had heard that silence before when I lived in a suburb far out of town, but had forgotten. When I was out their with the grandchildren I didn't miss the sounds of traffic at all. it's the same when I visit my daughter in the hills area, not a single sound but the birds in the trees during the day, and no sound at all at night once the TV is turned off.

      Delete
  4. Once in so often, we can step out of our house and not hear the highway traffic. The wind has to be blowing the right direction for it to happen.

    It is amazing how much we simply tune out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I'm glad you get to hear the silence. Where I am now, my street is often used as a shortcut for cars to zip through and miss the lights at the intersection further down and with the main roads in two directions only minutes away I hear sirens and heavy trucks far too often. Even at night.

      Delete
  5. I THINK I have silence, but some nights the frogs are really loud, and other times the crickets and whip-poor-wills. Here's a 46-second whip-poor-will call. Don't know if you have them there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxfVSS_65o

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val; no we don't have those birds here. We have morning birds, a variety of them who start chirping around 5.30am and don't stop until they have all woken each other up, about an hour, then mostly the day is quiet with a few cockatoo squawks, magpie songs here and there, then in the evenings, the "chorus" starts up again as the birds call each other home again. No frogs here, just traffic sounds this close to the city. I'll take your silence over traffic sounds any day. Oh, and the neighbours, in the summer more than the winter, because we all tend to stay in out of the weather when it's cold, but I do have one neighbour who sleeps most of the day and starts clanging around in her kitchen just when I am trying to fall asleep at night. I'm actually used to that now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twice a year fog makes it impossible to see the enchanted stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; only twice? That's lucky. Where I live the clouds block out the stars too often.

      Delete
  8. Beautifully written River, I love the contrasts in her life and the silence of the outer reaches and her adjustment to it.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; this was me, several years ago now, remembering how quiet life can be away from the city noise.

      Delete

  9. "This is the tale of a life that was lost, told by storytellers of yore and set in Australia's wild Outback where silence reigns.

    The year was 1922. Handsome Bruce Cockburn had become enchanted by the bushlands and had twice almost lost his life in impossible situations under the endless stars of that vast central Australian sky." - Blurb on the back cover of River Island's bestselling novel, "Love in The Outback"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; this is very good, thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs