Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. bear 2. debt 3. gap 4. witness 5. describe 6. reaction 

and these "old-timers" 

1. anon (at once, immediately) 2. forsooth (indeed, truly)  3. wood mad (insane, wild)

Here is my story, (somewhere in the late 1700s)

The Lady Catherine stomped her small foot petulantly as she marched around the cavernous kitchen. “I can bear this no longer!, Why can he not admit that he likes me? Is it the gap between my front teeth that turns him away?”

The kitchen boy, called thus though he was near nineteen, bringing a basket of potatoes from the cellar, answered her, “No Milady, the gap is enchanting, and makes you unique among your peers. Forsooth Milady, as the Lord is my witness, you are the fairest in the land.”

“Then why does the Earl not come to me?" she demanded, "why else would he choose not to court me?” asked Lady Catherine.

“It is a delicate matter Lady and perhaps I should not say, but the young Earl prefers a dalliance with the stableboy.”

Her shocked reaction had him faltering slightly, perhaps he had said too much.

“Is he wood mad?” she near shrieked. “The stableboy? What does he have that I do not?”

“If Milady would sit upon this stool, I can explain somewhat. What knowest you of the relationships between a man and a woman?”

“My mother has explained a little,” Catherine replied, blushing a little more than slightly.  “There are feelings first which then lead to, um, other things, which she has tried to describe

‘She has perhaps described correctly,” said the kitchen boy. “but sometimes these feelings go awry. The young Earl and the stableboy have these feelings for each other. He will never come to you.”

“The Earl is a faggot? And the stableboy too?” she asked. “I know of such, having listened unseen to some bawdy men in the park, and my maid Susannah has explained a little also.”

At that moment Susannah appeared, “Lady, your mother seeks your company immediately.” Catherine shooed her away, “I come anon,” she said and turned back to the kitchen boy. 

“I will be forever in your debt,” she said, “what is your name?”

“John,” he answered. “John Robinson.”

“Thank you, John Robinson,” said Lady Catherine as she departed the kitchen towards her mother’s rooms. 


Comments

  1. Ghat kitchen boy sounds like a good sort. The lady Catherine should try her luck with him instead of pining for the stableboy loving Earl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; a titled Lady could never marry a kitchen boy, but they do become friends.

      Delete
    2. I know, but if the Lord could be intimate with the stable boy maybe she could learn somewhat of the ways of women and men from the kitchen boy. Friends sounds good.

      Delete
  2. I go with Charlotte. Also I love Lady Catherine is a so tolerant - more than some people today!

    I had a colleague, he is gay - should be no problem, his partner´s name is/was Alexander. He came to the company party with a woman he called Alexandra and introduced her as his girlfriend. Dumb and sad. He is/was together with his partner (Alexander) for a long while or still.

    Great approach to the words. Certainly :-) And again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I know several gay people and have worked with some in the past, we were friends and they are just like anyone else to me. Most people are tolerant, but some are still afraid to admit they are gay.

      Delete
    2. Sad isn´t it. I had one gay teamleader, he was like everyone else and always confidently referred to his husband and no one thought it´s weird, but look at muslim countries etc. No wonder many flee to free countries, you don´t chose whom you love, how can it not be accepted.
      Our Christopher Street Day parade and the elderly man, enjoying it, asking me what it´s about looked "disgusted" upon my answer and went away...

      Delete
  3. While doubting that Lady Catherine would have been in the kitchen, much less speaking to the stable boy, this is a great use of the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Lady Catherine is becoming friends with the kitchen staff and learning how to manage a kitchen and the rest of the household, so she is able to manage her own when she eventually marries. A very wise decision by her parents I think.

      Delete
  4. Interesting to hear of such tolerance in the 1700's but who knows. The stable boy has possibilities and good to know a tooth gap isn't a detriment. I have one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; even then I suspect at least some people were either tolerant or forgiving. my brother has a gap between his front teeth and my first husband did too, although not a complete gap, his was more a case of crooked teeth.

      Delete
  5. Once upon a time there was a bear called Brian. He had a debt to settle but there had been a gap in his payments. It is hard to describe Brian's reaction when he realised his oversight. He stomped around speaking crazily like a Shakespearean character - "Anon the witches upon the heath did cry - Forsooth art thou wood mad thou harbingers of night!" Brian was last seen running to the end of the Port Germein jetty near Adelaide. And they all lived happily ever after.
    THE END

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; I'm glad they all lived happily ever after. Port Germein is nowhere near Adelaide, it's several hours away, 6 I think, by bus.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it all worked out for Brian, although it does sound as if he had quite high expectations of himself.

      Delete
  6. The large debt of the bear market lead to a wealth gap as the witness described his reaction to his lost money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; a bear market? I'd rather keep money under the mattress than take chances on the market.

      Delete
  7. I prefer a dalliance with the potatoes! Wondering what was on the menu. Tempting delicacies, or just rib-sticking staples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; in the 1700s I'd say rib-sticking staples for the main meal and delicacies for the desserts.

      Delete
  8. I wonder if ladies (female) actual blush all that much back then.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I think they would, the younger ones who haven't yet learned much about sex at least.

      Delete
  9. An excellent use of the words. Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another brilliant rendering of the prompts. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs