Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are:

1. tap 2. dump 3. basic 4. push 5. favour 6. lesson

and these phrases:

1. a day late and a dollar short

2. my cup of tea

3. a home bird

Here is my story:

I took a moment to dump the heavy bag of tools, then turned to my sister, “where’s this troublesome tap then?”

“In the kitchen,” she replied and led the way down a long hall to a sunshine filled very large room, currently awash form the overflowing sink.

I threw my hands in the air in horror. “Do me a favour, she says, a bit of basic plumbing, she says!” She took a step backwards, carefully, so she wouldn’t slip.

“This is the sort of thing that merits ‘a day late and a dollar short’,” I said. “What the heck happened? And how long ago?”

“I pushed the lever down to turn off the tap and the whole thing just came off in my hand,” she said, beginning to cry. “It was just yesterday evening and I thought the water would just keep going down the sink, but it seems the drain can’t cope with the deluge.”

“More like a waterfall,” I muttered. “Where is the water shut-off valve?”

“I don’t know,” she cried, “I can’t find it!”

“It should be marked on the council site plans they sent as soon as the sale went through. Can you get those for me please.”

Angie went to her new study to look for the all-important piece of paper while I shook my head at the soggy cardboard boxes still waiting to be unpacked. This was going to be a major clean up. I could see the sink at the far end of the large room, where the pipe was spouting water now the handle was off.

The counter tops were sealed granite and the floor was sealed slate tiles, so the damage wouldn’t be too bad. I was grateful the kitchen was “sunken” three steps lower than the rest of the house, the water hadn’t yet reached that upper level.

“Rob? Here are the plans,” she held out a roll of paperwork, which I studied very briefly, quickly locating the water mains meter, half a mile away! All the way back up the driveway, right beside the winding track the council laughingly called a road.

I handed back the papers and told Angie I’d be right back, showing her just how far away the shut-off was. “Slosh across the floor and open those double doors to the patio, some of the water should run out and we can sweep out the rest.”

She lightly smacked herself on the forehead. “Why didn’t I think of that!”

When I got back, Angie was sweeping away at the ‘pond’, sending rivers of water across the patio and letting it all just run down the hill. The sink had emptied itself down the drain now the pipe was no longer overflowing and I got to work with spanners and sealing tape. “Why did you buy way out here?” I asked.

“For the land,” she said. You know permaculture has always been my cup of tea, and here the land is just the right orientation. I’ll have chickens and rotating veggie beds in no time. Over there (she waved vaguely somewhere to the left) I’ll plant an orchard. No orange trees though, being allergic means I have no use for them. Lemons maybe, I can sell those at the local markets, definitely apples and cherries, peaches too,” she said. “I’ve learned my lesson about plumbing though,” she said. “Always call you immediately, not a half day later.”

Comments

  1. The tap at the dump was dripping. It was a basic plumbing issue. You had to push a new washer into place and tighten the nut. I was doing my friend River a favour for she had recently given me a free lesson in her beach buggy. By the way, River was the first ever female supervisor at the Beverley Waste and Recycling Centre.

    As I left the facility, I noticed some bizarre graffiti on the adjacent wall. Someone had sprayed, "A day late and a dollar short is not my cup of tea for I am a home bird". I had no idea what it meant but I did know that assorted drug addicts often gathered around the recycling centre gates at nighttime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basic plumbing in exchange for a dune buggy lesson, that sounds like a nice trade. Fun story!

      Delete
    2. Yorkshire Pudding; thanks for playing, this was nice to read.

      Delete
  2. Another great story River. It is my blessing to know where the shut off valve is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; I don't know where mine is, I think there is only one mains at the complex and everyone's water gets turned off when one unit has a plumbing issue.

      Delete
  3. I think we all can say some time in our lives...A day late and dollar short.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing for handy brothers. That is one valve I know where it is the day I move in. That and the fuse box. Lesson learned.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; my brother was handy for several years while on a contract job here, then he moved back home across the country. I know where my fusebox is.

      Delete
  5. Yet another great take on the prompts. I do hope that Angie is more practical in working towards her permaculture dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; yes, when it comes to growing things, Angie is excellent. Plumbing, that's something she needs to learn a bit more about.

      Delete
  6. Good story, well written. I really hope she has learned. I also know where our valve is - and where the thingie to turn it with was hidden! We had to get a .. erm [tool for loosening the nuts on a car wheel in the form of a cross] to turn ours when it was relevant - luckily we had a car and I knew where that unnamed tool was in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. She has learned, but has only moved into the house a couple of days earlier and wasn't expecting a disaster so soon. I know which tool you mean but don't know the name of it.

      Delete
  7. A good story and a good lesson. Yes, plumbing emergencies are really emergencies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; especially when your new kitchen is flooding. Thank you

      Delete
  8. Quite a story!!! How do you always come up with such genius? A fun read again. Oh, I think I´d have to call for help, too in such a case - but on the dot, LOL. Thank you for the morno-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I don't know where the stories come from. I let the words bounce around in my brain a bit, then write down the first thing I think of. Sometimes it is finished right away, sometimes it needs a little tweaking.

      Delete
    2. Lucky you, it´s a gift. One that luckily you share :-)

      Delete
  9. At least she had some good luck along with the bad. That being the arrangement of the house, and the materials in the kitchen. So no permanent damage. Since we have a well, all I have to do is go to the breaker box in the bathroom closet, and turn off the breaker that powers the well. Once the water already in the pipes drains out, no more comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angie had always been shy of gray cells, When I trudged through the flood, it was a clear and horrible dump. Guilt was written all over her, and Angie was missing basics for survival. Push? Angie pushed and pounded on the refrigerator. Flavor? Angie stooped to the table licking jam. I had taken every safety measure for Angie, and nothing came to pass. I ran to the Fairy Field, begging for their help.
    Angie watched me leave, laughing. Okay, ladies. Let’s deal the cards. The fairies were ready, poured out some ale, and the cards were played out. Life was good, if you weren’t me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs