Sunday Selections # 618

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

Let me begin by saying "sorry, there are no new photos of the twins this week" 😞

this is the Christmas T-shirt I was wearing while visiting the twins. 

I managed to get a photo of three sunflowers before the cockies got to them. 

the "black prince" aeoniums are doing quite well and looking quite red in this shot.

a new magpie family came down for some mealworms, I buy the freeze-dried ones so I don't have to worry about fridge storage or dying worms.

that blob in the birdbath is a block of ice, I put one in there on really hot days towards the evening when the birds will be coming down for seeds, because there is no shade and the water gets too warm for them to drink.

way back in the spring a pair of rainbow lorikeets came down to the seed tray, but I haven't seen them again.

A few of the books I've read in 2022, these five are all by Rick Riordan. These are all fiction and easy to read.

I bought and read The Hobbit, so many people enjoyed this so I thought I'd give it a go. 

It isn't something I'll ever read again. 

This was a very funny biography  set in New South Wales. Part of the blurb on the back: Todd and Jeff have had enough of the city. Sick of the daily grind they throw caution to the wind and buy 100 acres in the renowned Hunter Valley wine region, intent on a golden bucolic life.....Todd will cook, Jeff will renovate....."

This one is a nostalgic trip down memory lane, with toys, clothes, household items and "things we had in the car".

this one, also a funny biography, is set in South Australia, Part of the blurb on the back: "After suffering through another 40C+ degree day in Adelaide, a simple line drawing of an old cottage in the real-estate section of the paper catches my eye...When I arrive, the valley is encircled by dark hills, with a starry blanket over the top.....I am besotted." a laughable romp through pages of things going not quite as expected, including a stubborn cow named Ginger, a feral crop of artichokes and the coldest winter of the decade.

Redheads; "It's bathtime!"

Meg, "I do love a nice bubblebath."

Riley: "We asked Santa for a rubber ducky, and he brought this giant one!"

(found at a roadside dump and thoroughly washed)

While drying off Jordan whispers to Meg, "I know where the Christmas Chocolates are!"

And that's it for this week.  I'm not here to read and reply to comments, I am in Port Pirie with my Brother R and we are visiting our sister J. I'll catch up on Tuesday.


Comments

  1. I hope you have a wonderful time in Port Pirie, with your sister and brother. Love your garden shots and have missed the Redheads. I read the Todd Alexander memoir last year too. It was fun wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; it was lovely to catch up with my sister and brother, but oh! the flies!! hundreds of tiny bush flies. I wished I had one of those hats with bobbing corks around the rim. That book was loads of fun to read.

      Delete
  2. I love your ice in the birdbath photo. It's very artsy! Bathing with the redheads looks like a fun time. The Pony used to enjoy Rick Riordan's young adult books, like Percy Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I wish I could have a bubble bath, but I don't fit in the sink. I have a couple of the Percy Jackson movies, they're pretty good. The ice in the bird bath is necessary in this heat.

      Delete
  3. Hope you are having a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn Jilks; it was a very nice time, apart from the heat and the flies.

      Delete
  4. My 16 yr gr-daughter still loves these dolls. She has a wild collection of toys in her room, somewhere in her room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; perhaps you could post a few photos of the dolls and other toys?

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your time with your family, River...make the most of it...take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I did enjoy the time and may do it again but not too soon. Port Pirie is not my favourite place to be. Hot, dusty and full of flies at this time of year.

      Delete
  6. There are a couple of interesting looking books in your list, noted down. Are the girls bathing in Palmolive? I hope it went well for you in Port Pirie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I hope you can find the books, perhaps at the library? The girls are bathing in "Morning Fesh" Port Pirie was okay, and my sister is still well and lively enough.

      Delete
  7. I love, love, love the dino and Christmas lights. What a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are beautiful, bathtime looks like swimmingly good fun, and those books sound most entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you, the books are worth reading more than once, just for the laughs if no other reason.

      Delete
  9. I believe I only read one Australia Author, Jil Ker Conway
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I have never heard of Jil Ker Conway, I shall have to look her up and see what type of books she writes.

      Delete
  10. I bet the birds appreciate that cool water.
    That's a great Tshirt. I have a read a few of those titles too. I like the farming and gardening memoir type books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy; the brds do appreciate the water, they come around once the sun starts going down so I make sure the water is cooled by them with a block of ice. I like the farming and gardening type of books too.

      Delete
  11. Love that t-shirt!!!
    Haha, Tuesday I have a dino oto share too (sadly).
    To Sunflowers!
    We just talked about my Dad - his fav flowers and certainly a symbol for the Ukraine...
    I fail to understand why the war is still going on...
    Do I read correct - you lost the sunflowers???
    Black princes... we have the Black Duke and he says I (I think).

    Crazy. We just talked about Magpies today!!
    A can of 7-something (I can´t recall the name, 7 sorts of veggies) fell out of the car and rolled under.
    So. I bend down, looking for it, Outback, somewhere - a Magpie "helped" me - sooo sweet.
    Was he/she disappointed about the find!!

    Please... share pics? I miss them! Clever birds, that!

    Do you know the book "Penguin Bloom"?
    A wonderful book. The backo of the book says "Angels come in all shapes and sizes..."

    An ice block - you are so caring!

    Books are dangerous! When you have no time yet buy, buy buy... argh - and then there are "those bloggers"! (kidding!!!!)
    I really tried to get "Stuff we had in the 50s and 60s" - amazon seemed to cancel English books :-(
    Or I am dumb (tried many a way).

    Redheads.. I could tell a story! (too lomg now).

    Have FUN with your family!! xx Geat news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I have five different Christmas T-shirts now, but that one is the brightest. I lost the sunflowers to the cockatoos, they nip off the flowers to eat. I don't get the magpies much any more, they come around mostly when they have babies in the nest that need feeding, then they are gone again. I don't have the book "Penguin Bloom" but I do have the movie and I love it. You could try getting that book from the Book Depository, (www.bookdepository.com) they do free delivery, but you'll have to check if they deliver to Germany. I don't see why they wouldn't. They are based in England. Or maybe find a copy on ebay.
      I would love to hear (read) stories of redheads.
      I had a lovely visit with my sister.

      Delete
    2. I still have some Christmas Shirts from Perth, too,, from... 2006 I think! Time runs!
      Sad with the flowers.
      Oh, there is a movie on Penguin Bloom? I didn´t know! The book I have. Twice... I bought it and meanwhile Sami sent a copy as well.
      I checked the link - free delivery worldwide! (and Prince Harry´s book right on page one...)
      I´ll do a new post (as the old one was about anything and everything) on the redhead-story (I - as often - didn´t explain very well, ASSUMING people know what I mean).
      It was really... "funny".

      Nice with your Sister! Wish I could say the same about my Brother, but he is always on the run...

      Delete
  12. There's so much to love about this post, but I think the dolls are the champions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; the girls are cute aren't they? Their names are Meg, Gillian (Jillian) Riley and Jordan.

      Delete
  13. I like Tree Rex very much and am pleased to hear from the redheads once again. Enjoy your stay in Port Pirie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; the girls have been quiet for quite a while, they were busy with the new toys, Cookie the Pirate Bear and Paddington Bear. Port Pirie was nice, but hot and with too many flies.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs