Sunday Selections #620

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

In Port Wakefield near the tiny beach (on the way to Port Pirie)

were these nicely painted planter pots

across the road was this old gun/cannon? which is very nicely maintained

in the Edward Robinson Memorial Park. There are other plaques with more information but I won't post those today.

Port Pirie grain silos, huge, white, boring. Behind these is a smaller row of grey silos that were being built when I lived here.

much prettier is this painted silo, set at the end of a disused rail track in the tiny town of Bute where we stopped on the way home, to eat lunch. 

On the road again I remarked to R that we hadn't seen a single abandoned ruin, they must have all collapsed by now.

then just around the next bend, we saw one! 

this is another view, it's a single wall with a fireplace open to both sides.

this is half of the Hotel balcony facing east and north, the pot plants are all half dead from a lack of water and there was a bit of rubbish  (empty pizza boxes etc) strewn around as well as a lot of dust.

this is the other half of the balcony facing south and west, lots of pigeon poop here with several of the birds roosting in the rafters. I guess nobody gets up here much to do any cleaning.

this is the curve of the balcony at the corner of the two halves. it was 6am when I stood up here enjoying the cool of the breeze before the sun got warmer

some of you will remember this old engine from the last time I visited Port Pirie

and the old railway station which is now a museum I believe

I watched freight carriages being shunted along towards the Smelters

by this engine which had been at the beginning, then uncoupled, moved to a different track and came up behind the carriages (trucks?) to push them to their destination.

looking down from the corner of the balcony we see the intersection of Ellen Street (port Pirie's main street) and David Street heading off to the right

zooming in along Ellen Street to see the flags flying, I don't know what all of them are, but I see Greece, Ukraine and there are five or six others.

this ginormous vehicle passed on its way to work at the smelters along with several other vehicles. 

This photo of the clouds that morning is now out of place, I touched a wrong key and can't centre it again.


more early morning clouds

and again, by now the sun was getting warm and the sky was beginning to haze.

finishing up with Genevieve the Gymnast! She lays on her back then lifts her whole body off the floor and tries to move in the direction her head is. I guess she will eventually learn to crawl the conventional way. The girls are seven months old now.



Comments

  1. I was just reading your Saturday post, then read an old post of yours and then I updated your blog to leave it until tomorrow ... And I thought I had touched some wrong keys ... January 23rd ... has to be an old post, It's tomorrow's date. I then noticed the year. Strange feeling, having you living in the future, as is ;) I like all your photos. Genevieve's way of locomotion looks rather counterproductive or at least very tiring and impractical. I hope she gets the hang of a better way soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; you forgot we are a day ahead here in Australia, or at least a few hours. I've learned that Genevieve gets along quite fast that way now, but she does stop and roll onto her tummy, so she will learn conventional crawling too.

      Delete
  2. Love the painted silo and the clouds. Genevieve is getting plenty of exercise anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; The clouds were constantly changing with the high winds. The painted silo is much nicer to look at than Port Pirie's plain white ones.

      Delete
    2. Both girls get plenty of exercise, rolling around the floor and if you didn't remember who was wearing what, it's easy to mix them up now. Anastasia likes to roll until she is under something, then peep out and laugh.

      Delete
  3. That mural of the girl on the grain silo is SPECTACULAR!

    Your hotel isn't exactly getting glowing reviews, is it? That's a lot of sunlight at 6 a.m., at least to me in this much darker corner of the globe. (OK, I know, globes don't have corners.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Reed; it is spectacular, so well done. It was full sunlight by 5am that day. I don't think the hotel is worried about reviews. They make money from the gaming room and front bar and from the motel side too.

      Delete
  4. I am puzzled. Was this hotel a functioning one? If so, quite depressing.
    Lovely pics and Genevieve is quite the athlete in the making!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; yes, a functioning Hotel, but quite old in a mid-north town where nothing much ever happens. Nobody seems to mind. Genevieve might be training for future Olympics? I think being able to lift her body that way is quite impressive.

      Delete
  5. Interesting group of photos, River. There is air about some that time has forgotten...

    Genevieve has a Gold Medal waiting! :)

    Have a good week ahead...cuddles to lovely Lady Lola...take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; thank you. I do sometimes think time has forgotten Port Pirie, perhaps one day something will happen and the town will come alive again. Genevieve is quite inventive with moving, certainly unconventional.

      Delete
  6. It's great silo art.
    That was a posh place with a stone wall and not just a stone chimney.
    What an interesting couple of days away for you. Lots of rekindled memories, I am sure, and some new ones made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; it is great art, I like it a lot. Not necessarily a posh place, the old ruin, decades ago when there were more of them, almost all were stone built, it was common in SA since there was plenty of stone about, even outbuildings were stone, probably because of the termites, anything built of wood wouldn't last nearly as long.

      Delete
  7. I like painted silo. I don't know if they paint silo or not in United States
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; thank you. You could do a google search for painted silos USA and see if there are any. Australia has plenty, but most in places I can't get to.

      Delete
  8. It will take years til pots will be painted here.
    They look lovely (I saw some in Freo).
    Oh, those silos!!! Beautiful! (You could join Sami on Mondays and share with others, if you like).

    Oh, thank you. Now I have that song in my mind (on the road again.... lalala...)


    Just yesterday another episode of "Abandoned Places" was on, I love to watch that and wheneve I see one for real I go in if not too dangerous.
    Thank you for investigating and sharing!

    Yah, super. Ingo has some big pigeon poop on his car :-(
    I once had one on my back. (thanks for huge bikinis!!).
    I learned (from you?) white is pee, brown is poop, Ingo has pee - not that is less icky...)

    Railway. 6:00 am tomorrow for me :-)
    Before I got the job at ALSTOM I had no idea how complicated and detailed railway is. It´s fascinating! (And scary).

    What do the united flags stand for? It looks great!

    Oversize. Oh, leave me alone with that, LOL!!!! "Bad memories"! Houses ... no, you Aussies are crazy ;-) in a sweet way.
    I got all the houses on the road. Oversize, yes.

    Wow, I need to do yoga again!
    Happy Sunday, and thank you for sharing all this, I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; are you allowed to paint pots where you are? Or "stobie" poles that hold the electrical wires? People here sometimes paint the poles outside their homes. I have never heard of that show "Abandoned Places" I think it sounds interesting. I don't know what the united flags stand for. I just know that most cities in Australia have a row of flags in one main street, Possibly the Port Pirie ones represent the different nationalities of people living there. Oversize?

      Delete
    2. When you apply you are allowed to do murals. Otherwise it´s illegal (Germany, huh!!!) but luckily people brave up and do it anyways and some owners even give permission "for free".
      We are behind Australia in more than one way (self raising flour has not arrived yet! And oil to spray took years and years to arrive (we have that now)).
      Yes, Perth has that row of flags, too.
      "You guys" know what is important. Unite, we are one.
      Here... nada and the German flag is only out when there is a world championship in soccer - other... nope. Hit#er still sits deep in our souls.
      Just yesterday night Ingo told me "Abandonend (or sometimes "lost") places" is on.
      Yes, it was, much later. I tuned in and got Hit#er!!!
      Germans are dumb. Every country has a bad history, but "we" dwell on it forever...
      Enough of that! To a great new week!

      Delete
  9. We watched several Abandoned Places shows, and they are sad, if not poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenn Jilks; I have never seen any of those shows, never even heard of them. I'd like to if they ever come to Australia.

      Delete
  10. What lovely photos River. Found you because you put a comment on Messymimi's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grams ramblings; welcome to drifting and thank you.

      Delete
  11. Genevieve is so strong! I first thought she was a doll when I saw the picture. Of course, she IS a LIVING doll! The painted pots and silo are nice, but there's something about the rock fireplace that pleases my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; both girls are quite strong but Genevieve is very flexible. I don't know if Anastasia has tried that, I don't think so. I'd like to know why Gen thought it was a good idea. I like the painted things, but the stone ruin makes me a bit sad. I always wonder about who lived there, what they did, why they left.

      Delete
  12. What's left of the abandoned house makes me rather sad. It was loved once.

    We stayed at a hotel once that looked like it used to be a house of ill repute. An interesting adventure from another time.

    I like the stories you tell with your words and photos.

    Your sweet Genevieve is an athlete in the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; abandoned ruins make me wonder about the families that once lived there. A house of ill repute? If those walls could talk, what stories you would hear! Genevieve might be an athlete in her future, possibly a gymnast.

      Delete
  13. Very interesting photographs and good to jolt the memory, I think. I have never seen a baby propel itself the way Genevieve does. Her view of the world must be very entertaining. I wonder if her sister does the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; no, Anastasia prefers to roll around until she is under something, then she peeps out and laughs at whoever is watching. I think they will both be crawling soon.

      Delete
  14. Hi, I have seen your name commenting on other blogs I follow...so just being sociable!
    Those painted silos are stunning. On our last visit to NZ we saw a few beautiful ones on the way north from Dancey's Pass in Otago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gz; welcome to drifting. I love the painted silos, there are several different ones throughout the country, but these is the only one I have seen in person. I would love to go to NZ one day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs