Sunday Selections # 619

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

on the way to Port Pirie we stopped at Port Wakefield for lunch and I learned there is a tiny beach there. I'd never seen it before as we had always driven along the old highway which bypasses most of the town and had service stations on either side. We would fill up the tank, fill up our stomachs and keep going. So this little beach was a nice surprise that R had known about for years.

there is a boardwalk spanning the water

here you can see that is really is quite narrow, the bottom right hand corner shows the sandy area where a family was coaxing a child into the water, he/she had an inflatable ring for safety.

We walked across, just because we could, here is R stepping down the concrete landing

onto the weathered boards which were splintery in some places, but still very sturdy.

on the other side the darker sand shows the high tide level. 

once in Port Pirie we went straight to J's house, that is R and J on her front porch, the grassy area is her front "lawn", overgrown and gone to seed, full of weeds too. The fence to the left keeps her dog in the back yard so he isn't running all over town.

from J's house we went to the Hotel and had to climb 26 stairs to get to our rooms, each step is quite narrow and probably wouldn't pass safety regulations these days, but at least they have installed grab rails at the curve. 

our rooms were along this corridor, R towards the front and mine right at the end. In between are two "washrooms" one for men one for women, each with several toilets, and showers, for people having just a single room with no amenities. R and I each had a "suite".

this is the corner of my room behind the door, a desk with sugar, tea and coffee packets, cups and an electric kettle

clockwise to the next corner shows a mirrored wardrobe and the window air conditioner which worked extremely well. R told me later that the unit in his window rattled loudly all night.

clockwise again to my bed, the bedside lamp near the aircon wasn't working, but the one over in the corner was bright enough to be a searchlight almost. When we checked out I let them know about the non-working one.

the fourth corner has an armchair with a seat so deep when I sat all the way back my legs stuck out like  a toddler on an adult chair. Under the TV there is supposed to be a dvd player, we reported it missing and learned they often get stolen. R's room had the dvd player and a small stack of dvds but a couple were empty cases with the movies stolen. The furniture is cheap and hastily put together so none of the drawers closed properly without a lot of fiddling.

the adjoining bathroom was HUGE, here you see the toilet and part of the vanity which was about a metre wide.

to the left was a decent sized shower, a little bigger than mine here at home, good water pressure too.

across from the shower a mini fridge, sink and microwave. A tiny carton of milk was in the fridge and several glasses chilling which I didn't even notice at first. 

Meg was ready for a cup of tea so we made one, but then...

I pulled out the chair to sit and discovered it was badly stained, worse than what it looks here, so I got the shower mat from the bathroom and laid it on the seat so I could sit. We only stayed the one night as I don't like to leave Lola for too long without me.

On the way home we stopped at the side of the road near Dublin, so I could take these photos, from the car window of course, I wasn't getting out with the heat and all those flies! This statue is Ned Kelly the Australian Bushranger, the owner of this property made these statues himself.

this one is a giant rat, carrying a handbag and wearing a tie, the cow is a cutout, not a real cow

the giant cockroach has been left to rust for a more realistic look

the sign next to him explains these are anti Dublin-Dump statues, I'm not sure about what type of dump was to be there, but the people didn't want it, so it didn't happen.

a giant Tin Man made from 44 gallon drums and smaller fuel cans.

and a spaceship is there too! No Aliens in sight though.

A day after I arrived home, this book arrived in my mailbox! I found it to be as funny as I'd been told. 

More photos next week. 




Comments

  1. Jeremy Clarkson is on my shite list due to his "attitude"... everything else about this post, your trip, gets all of the stars. Thank you for taking us through the compromised hotel, it is like something out of a novel ! The sculptures are fabulous and i do remember being in between Perth and Melbourne- the entire way was bitey, loads of hungry flying insects . Meg was brave! Nice to see the house and porch and "lawn" as it is. Curious place to live...Thanks for the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Sue; Jeremy's "attitude" came through a bit in his book, but I still found it funny to read. The Hotel was quite nice in spite of being very old, it was cool and quiet inside, with a front bar, a gaming room with pokie machines and another bar, rooms were upstairs and behind the hotel ground level rooms formed the "Motel" part of the establishment. the only flaw for me was the 'no food' part.
      My sister's "lawn" is like that because she is a mentally challenged person and has no idea about gardening. I think Housing SA sends someone around to slash it down once a year. I know they have painted the place since I was there last, it used to be red brick, now it is sort of white and the verandah posts have been replaced.

      Delete
  2. The day out at the boardwalk looks fun and I especially like J's overgrown front yard! Probably terrific for the ecology. The hotel looks OK. I can't believe people steal the DVD players and the DVDs. Honestly!

    But those statues are FABULOUS. Especially the cockroach! Brilliant! I was trying to read the name on the Ned Kelley one -- it says "Yesterday Ned Kelly, Today John Olsen." Who's John Olsen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Reed; I liked the boardwalk, but we only stopped long enough to eat lunch. The Hotel was nice, cool and quiet, the only flaw being the closed dining room. People will steal anything they can get away with! J's overgrown yard is a fire hazard and someone from HousingSA will probably see that it gets cut soon. There wouldn't be much ecology there, the soil is hard packed clay.
      John Olsen was a former South Australian Premier, I don't remember much about what he did, right or wrong. Probably I was too busy with young children in those days. I love the statues.

      Delete
  3. I have been looking forward to this post and wasn't disappointed. Love the statues - and that you took Meg along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, I'm glad you weren't disappointed. I took Meg to show my sister, I have sent her photos in the past of the four redheads, but I thought she might like to see the real doll. The statues are great aren't they?

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the trip inside the hotel room, I was in many such ones when I travelled many times a year between Newfoundland and Ontario in my car. Depressing places, most of them but you lucked out in that bathroom, odd that they would allow a filthy chair though.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; The filthy chair was a surprise, but the carpet was also in need of a good cleaning, I saw several darker patches in the dark grey. The bathroom was fabulous and I wished it was in my own home. I do have a large enough bathroom at home though, even with the laundry taking up a corner. I don't find Hotel rooms depressing, they are just a place to sleep on the way to and from anywhere.

      Delete
  5. I like those sculptures, yes even the cockroack. It's not alive, but beautiful in its own rigth. I googled them and read a bit about them. Sounds interesting even if it was futile. Thank you for showing them to us! And I like the secret beach. You can never have too many beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I love the sculptures too and should google myself to read more about them. it's true you can never have too many beaches and of course Australia is an island so it is surrounded by beaches :)

      Delete
  6. Fascinating photos! I am drawn to the giant rat. I think my favorite is the staircase. Meg on her roller skates is captivating, and I like the pic with R headed across the boardwalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you. The rat seems to be a character with his tie and handbag, which may be a briefcase. I loved the staircase, but each stair tread is narrow, those with huge feet would have to walk up and down on tiptoe. I like the boardwalk photos too. Meg loves her rollerskates :)

      Delete
  7. And here I've been doing diddly-squat while you've been running around the countryside! :)

    I hope you have a good week ahead, River. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; it is summer and you are allowed to do diddly-squat. Jeremy Clarkson named his farm Diddly-Squat because he says that's the amount of money he makes from it. The book was interesting enough though and funny. Lola was very happy to have me back home and has allowed me to pick her up for cuddles!

      Delete
  8. Port Wakefield looks very relaxed and how good is the boardwalk.

    The accommodation looks adequate, the bathroom recently renovated by the looks. I've seen much worse in country areas.

    How cool are the anti Dublin dump sculptures. Great works and they must be quite an attraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; Port Wakefield is pretty relaxed, far away from the city there's not much else one can do but relax. The bathroom is definitely recently renovated, it 'felt' new. They just need to shampoo the room carpet and replace the chair and I could be quite happy there for longer than a night. TV reception wasn't so good though. I managed to find ABC and watch an episode of Death In Paradise, then channel 7 or ten for an episode of NCS Hawaii, then I fell asleep.
      I think the sculptures were more of an attraction when they were new, people seem to zip right past them on their way to and from elsewhere.

      Delete
  9. I like the colorful bed spread.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I love that bedspread! I took photos and may look for something similar for my home, maybe for curtain fabric.

      Delete
  10. It looks like a good visit, i would have enjoyed that boardwalk, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; it was a nice visit, just long enough to catch up with J and to remind me why I don't live there anymore and never will. Heat, flies, hard packed clay soil that grows nothing without much expenditure and water.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful pics, but 26narrow stairs sounds like a pain!!!
    No bathroom in the hotel room?!
    Have never seen that before other than youth hostels.

    That "blanket" looks like the one we have in our cabin in Madeley/Perth!
    LOL, sad there is no pic of toddler-you!
    Who steals a DVD-player?
    Shower and microwave in one room?! Now that it "creative".

    HA! I thought I saw Meg in one of the first pics and really I was right :-)
    Elmo, Blanket and Mielebaer always come along, too!

    Always Ingo´s argument - no cat cause what if we go on holiday...

    Pie, please ;-)
    On the sign the cockroach looks cute. And oh, the spaceship!

    The book sounds interesting. We just talked about how Ingo as kid in the village went all along from piglet to pig to... you-know-what.
    Happy Sunday (not for the pig ;-)...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; the hotel is very old, back in the old days many had only rooms with beds and a shared bathroom at the end of the hall. This one has been updated and several rooms now have attached en-suite bathrooms and a few rooms have been converted into "washrooms" with several showers and toilets, for use by those who wish to pay less and have just a bed and TV in their room. Here in Australia, many people steal DVD players!
      I planned on taking pictures with Meg at various places, but some were closed off to the public, like the wharf and the silos, and it really was just too hot to wander around with her. I had a friend come in and put fresh food for Lola for that one night.
      From piglet to pig to bacon and ham?

      Delete
    2. 1995 we landed in Sydney and slept in a 4-people bedroom in such a youth-hostel. The other two were so drunk I got scared and Ingo and I shared one bed, LOL (Ingo is 1,84m). In the bathroom was a cockroach (or more? ;-)...).
      We bought a used car next day and were gone :-)
      Yikes! In our old cabin (Perth) the TV got stolen, the manager told us.
      We (as in Ingo and I help) always repair the things there.
      The cabins are from the 60´s and, well... need help!

      I think if you lived here you would love the heat you have in your place - I never can get enough!
      Ingo took our furry friends along often. And some wanted pictures. We were happy, they were happy (the people). Win-win!

      Delete
  12. Every bit of this post was a wonderful adventure. Thanks for sharing. Some of it really made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry the chair has stains. Bed cover was pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Happy Whisk; I was sorry too, but I covered it with a towel so I could sit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs