Sunday Selections #632

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

Back to the flowers again:

in the neighbour-on-the-corner kerb garden are these purple flowers, I have no idea what they are

but they also come in white

bright orange flowers from a bulb, also unknown to me

they grow in a circle, last year there were only five, this year seven

bright yellow coreopsis, my own didn't flower, the cockatoos nipped off the buds

Queen Anne's Lace I think

and a close-up of the flower heads

my favourite yellow rose, she has other roses in pinks and white but I like this one best

leaves changing colours

rosehips everywhere! these are tiny but there are larger ones around

Back inside now, a few of the ornaments that I dust off now and again:

I call this magician Merlin, but he is more likely Dumbledore from the Harry Potter series of movies. I found him in a thrift store for only $3, the glass dome is from Ikea.

another thrift store find, quite heavy and blank on the other three sides, only a few inches tall but I like it.


this little plastic cube is a puzzle I've had for many years, you have to tilt it back and forth and try to get all the ball bearings into the holes 

not as easy as it looks, but I did learn to get them all in (and left-handed too), but these days I can't seem to manage it

a lamp I bought from Ikea, I cannot get the bulb to sit straight no matter how many times I insert it

but it works and has a nice warm glow

last thing on the top of my roll-top desk is this tiny clay llama bought for only $2 from a store that was closing down.

Into my own garden now:

I dug down into the potato pot to see if anything was happening and I'm glad I did because I discovered only the first few inches of soil was damp with the rest being bone dry in spite of all my watering, so I buried this shoot again and turned the hose on it.

I also found this half potato covered in shoots, so I buried that again too and hope it keeps growing

there were many of these tiny bead sized potatoes, the two larger pieces here are one potato that I accidentally chopped in half with my little trowel. It was only a couple of centimetres across, but at least something is happening in that pot. 

here are the twins in their new winter beanies, can you tell which is which? I guessed wrong!

This is Anastasia looking very pleased with herself, she keeps trying to climb onto her feet but hasn't quite managed it yet.

These next two are videos of Genevieve and I hope they play, you'll need to turn your sound up



Gen saying Nan Nan Nan


and interacting with the Teletubbies on TV

Comments

  1. First picture looks like Beaujolais Bonnets Pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; That's a name I have never heard, I shall have to google.

      Delete
  2. A truly beautiful set of selections - from start to finish. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; you are welcome, thank you.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful babies! Can't get enough! I remember that little blue game and getting all the marbles in the proper holes. We played it on car trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; I can't get enough of the babies either, I wish I lived closer. I think that would be a hard puzzle to do in a moving car.

      Delete
  4. A happy start to my Sunday ...the videos of the bubs. :)

    That yellow rose is stunning!

    I hope the coming week ahead is an enjoyable one for you, River...take good care. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I love that rose and if I ever have the chance to move away, I shall ask for a cutting to take with me. I'm glad the videos played for you.

      Delete
  5. Lots of flower photos from both you and EC. I haven't noticed anything flowering here.
    Is the item with the cat a vase? I like the image.
    I can see I would be unable to tell the twins apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; we are warmer here in Adelaide and things will flower here for some time yet. The cat item is just a stand alone ornament, not a vase, just a thing to look at. It is getting hard to tell the girls apart now.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad the potatoes are trying to do something.

    The flowers and items from around the house are lovely although i know you know the babies are the loveliest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I expected a bit more from the potatoes, but then I learned the pot wasn't getting enough water. I shall be more diligent. I like my knick-knacks, but agree the babies are the best. In six and a half weeks they will be one year old already!

      Delete
  7. Orange flowers are sure pretty. What kind are they?
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I have no idea what the orange flowers are.

      Delete
  8. I love their beanies! Of course I can't tell them apart. There's some kind of slight difference in the eyebrows when I'm trying to sort them out, but not enough that I can distinguish them. That's the only trait I can try to zero in on. Barely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; it must be the different lighting fooling you, their eyebrows are identical and look just like their Dad's. I have a hard time knowing which is which these days too.

      Delete
  9. I like all your knick-knacks and seeing what grows on the other side of the world. It feels quite exotic to me to read that cockatoos nipped off your flower buds. I love the photos and videos - there's something very special about hearing babies babbling and seeing them interact with things happening on the television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; cockatoos are very destructive birds, if you have wooden porches and railings a flock can tear them apart in a day. The twins just light up when Teletubbies are on TV.

      Delete
  10. Oh, River, thank you! Another ugly grey, cold day here, so nice to see your flowers!
    I hope/bet soon here, too. By nature and not "just" neighbors. I´ll check that tomorrow.

    I admit, I never read/saw Harry Potter but saw a The Simpsons-episode on this where "Dad" Homer is to read the book to his daughter Lisa and thinks it´s too sad an ending. He makes it better and Lisa sure knows, but prefers his version.
    So... yours is really magic!
    Love the cat and miss IKEA. Well. Only a bit.

    I really must find out about thrift stores here. We just put "pre-loved" things in good weather outside for free. There are such stores, but I don´t know if anyone is allowed to buy there? We also have second hand shops for everybody.
    Oh. So much clothes from my parents I wanted to give to those, but my Brother did not allow it.

    Don´t want to bore you. But... There was a The Simpsons-episode with a real "flipper".
    So nice you still have this!

    Right-handed here but... that lamp would sit like that, also.

    To potatoes - and the babies - of course!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; Secondhand and thrift stores are the same thing, others call them charity shops, most here are run by churches and anyone can donate things or buy from them. I am right-handed too, but try to do things with my left hand, just in case I ever need to.

      Delete
    2. I am not sure here all are the same stores.
      I had "Sodexo" - like... "grocery vouchers" as the company gave me to the customer and they purchased +50% in the canteen (for all 16 years. I brought my own, boring food).
      Haha. I broke my right arm, with complications back in 1994 and had to use my left for 7+ months.
      Would´ve been a good idea to practice before that!
      But... guess as you do, you will never need it! :-)
      It´s like when you misplace something and you only find after you´d bought a replacement. Murphy´s law ;-)

      Delete
  11. I love the flowers and the dustables but especially love the videos of the twins. Great Sunday selections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; "the dustables" is a good name for all the bits. The twins are developing real personalities now.

      Delete
  12. I believe your first two flowers are types of Scabious, sometimes called pincushion flowers. The orange one, according to my plant identifier app, is called an "April-Fool," a type of blood lily (Haemanthus sanguineus). I can't tell those twins apart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Reed; yes, scabious, I knew it and couldn't remember it. Thank you for identifying the lily. It is harder to know which twin is which as they grow.

      Delete
    2. Steve Reed; yes, scabious, I knew it and couldn't remember it. Thank you for identifying the lily. It is harder to know which twin is which as they grow.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful flowers. I don't see a lot of flowers here in Las Vegas. Aww the babies are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Kirkland; welcome to drifting. Las Vegas is desert area so probably most native plants are succulents and cactus? But people must have others in their gardens? The babies are adorable and now very mobile as they crawl everywhere, trying to stand up too, pulling themselves up on furniture.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs