Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by T. Powell Coltrin and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. lucky 2. fire 3. rose 4. river 5. knife 

and/or: 

1. artisan 2. coins 3. time 4. clouds 5. impossible

Here is my story:

Jack swore as he tried to extricate the knife from the bread. “Alison!” he called. “What kind of bread is this that is so impossible to cut!” 

“It’s called artisan sourdough, Daddy, baked in a woodfire oven.” "And how much did this cost?” asked Jack. “Only a few coins more than the ordinary bread,” said Alison. “The lady at the bakery across the river said you would enjoy such a hearty loaf.” 

“Maybe so, if only I could cut into it. Perhaps she baked this one a little too long.” “I’m sorry Daddy,” said Alison, “should I go back and tell her it is no good?” 

“No darlin’,” said Jack. “There’s no time for that today, the clouds are coming across fast now, there’ll be rain before the clock strikes. Call the animals in.” 

Alison rushed to the door and called out. “Lucky! Devil! Come on in now!” and stepped aside quickly as a fluffy white cat and a black-as-night dog sped past her, each wanting to stake a spot by the fire for the night.  

A thunderclap boomed right above the little cottage and Alison watched as a flash of lightning just missed Mama’s favourite rose bush. Jack got his small hatchet and hacked pieces off the loaf, they would sop up the gravy just as well as sliced bread.


Comments

  1. It sounds like a good night to be safe indoors, eating hot soup with crusty bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; definitely a night for soup and staying in.

      Delete
  2. Fun names for the animals! I remember waiting for my Mum to pick me up in front of Ingo´s Granma´s house in the village (where we lived with her). A neighbor came outside and yelled "Taxi!!!! Taxi!!!"
    Yupp. Was a dog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be interesting. I love your take on the words. Taxi! I'll check back later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wildfires swept through the small community of Paradise, destroying the past and the futures of people as they raced to leave. “We are darn lucky we got out in time,” Mayor Dylan told investigators. “For some of the residents out in the rural areas, well, that was impossible.” He shook his head. “The town of Camp Fire was incinerated, about 11,000 homes were burned to the ground.” Mayor sighed heavily. “Eighty-five lives were lost. Only thing left of one house was a coin collection, melted, just a lump of metal.” He pointed to dark rain clouds. “See those dark clouds? We sure would have appreciated those.” He shook his head. Dylan didn’t think starting over would happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; this is so sad, I hope they can start over, with help from others.

      Delete
    2. Good question. The mayor said that some can't afford to rebuild, others that their unincorporated townships don't have a fire station that could respond to the fires in their towns. The towns won't come back.

      Delete
  5. Feeling lucky to be alive, I sat by the fire admiring a wild rose that I had picked down by the river. I took my knife and cut a couple of slices of artisan bread. The loaf had only cost me a few coins. It reminded me of the time I spent in Brittany many years ago when my head was in the clouds and nothing seemed impossible. For a delicious moment, I forgot that I was dying from pancreatic cancer and only had a few weeks left to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; sad twist at the end but a lovely story.

      Delete
  6. Another delightful life 'snippet'. And crusty bread does indeed soak up gravy well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Thank you. I have never soaked up gravy, I don't like my bread soggy.

      Delete
  7. I like sourdough bread.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; sourdough bread is very popular, but I don't like it.

      Delete
  8. A lovely tale, i hope the bread tasted good, no matter how "hearty."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I imagine they liked the bread very much.

      Delete
  9. I was lucky to have a knife to help me build a fire on the bank that rose above the river.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always a cosy sory even with a thunderstorm. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh, heh! I like the hatchet-hacking. Jack is a problem-solver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; sometimes bread needs a hatchet, I know some of my early attempts at baking bread could have used one.

      Delete
  12. Hi River - oh crumbs! that would frustrate me ... but then always a dunk in a delicious soup on such a home-spent evening ... the best way to soak up 'life' ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs