Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 almost didn't happen, the words had me totally bamboozled, not even a glimmer of an idea of what to write, but it came together in the end.


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Alex J. Cavanaugh and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. cobwebs 2. tiger 3. Japan 4. black 5. cobblestones 6. hurt 

and /or: 

1. Atlantis 2. pyromania 3. guacamole 4. energetic 5. slither 6. slice

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: mint green

Here is my story: 

I struggled to sit up, trying in vain to clear the cobwebs from my brain. Still sleepy I made my way to the kitchen feeling as if I balanced on cobblestones the whole length of the passage. “Weird,” I thought, “I know we have thick soft carpet here.” The cobblestones feeling remained as I walked into the too bright kitchen. I looked down to my feet and discovered I was still wearing yesterday’s mint green high heeled shoes. “No wonder my feet hurt,” I thought as I felt around with half closed eyes to find the dimmer switch. Off would be better, a totally black kitchen might help the pounding in my head, but I needed to see to get the kettle boiling and make a cup of coffee.

I thought back to the day before, why could I not remember it? I had walked in to the Office Christmas party, someone had shoved a drink into my hand and everything after that was a blank. My hand shook as I spooned instant coffee into a large mug and when the spoon clattered against the stoneware a tiger roared inside my head adding to the pounding which was still there. I had a vague memory of the visiting Japanese officials, perhaps I had tried some of their Sake as well as whatever else I had consumed.

I opened the fridge to get the milk and the sight and smell of the week-old bowl of guacamole had my stomach slithering into my throat. I dashed to the sink and threw up violently, my entire body feeling as if it was made of water, I was so weak-kneed. I  kicked off the shoes and ran the tap at full strength to clear the mess and wondered if I had eaten anything at all at the party or did I just drink the bar dry all evening? My drinking had taken control of me, and with my ex getting custody of the kids because of it, I had been imbibing even more than usual. It’s a wonder I hadn’t lost my job as well as my family.

The kettle boiled and I made the coffee, the first slurp went down hard and hot, so I blew on it a bit before I dared a second swallow. Perhaps a slice of dry toast would help? I shuddered at the thought and decided I’d leave eating until later when I was more awake. I glanced at the clock and was horrified to see it was already after noon. I had to sober up! Jason was bringing Nathan and Rebecca to visit. They had both got excellent report cards from school and wanted to show me. Nathan, the junior pyromaniac, had even given up playing with matches, Jason had proudly told me, and Rebecca was currently obsessed with the lost city of Atlantis. I swallowed a couple of aspirins and went to have a shower. The least I could do was look good for the kids. Getting energetic was going to be impossible, but perhaps they would consent to quiet chatter instead of rowdy games.


Comments

  1. That's a hangover and a half. What a pity she can't remember how she acquired it or even if she enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; that is one of the main problems with drinking I gather, the not remembering what you did or might have done.

      Delete
  2. Such a sad story. I hope your protagonist's love of his/her children allows them to straighten up and turn their life around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant;s Child; I think she realises on her own that she needs help to get dried out and signs up for AA.

      Delete
  3. Cobwebs hung from the stuffed head of a tiger that I bought in Japan. Outside, a black police car pulled up on the cobblestones. It hurt me to think that I would never see Elsie Atlantis again but if you indulge in pyromania, life is not going to dish up guacamole with your asparagus. I waved her off and then felt sufficiently energetic to slither down to "The Tea Cosy" cafe for mint green macaroons with my Darjeeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; that's so sad, but I guess that's the way it has to be.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this made my stomach hurt.
    My new friend K told me how she, at age 13.. from age 13 on, often had to get her drunk Dad home.
    She went into the pub, looked for him and some drunks hugged her or kissed her on the cheek.
    Nothing dangerous but if this is one of the first things to tell a new friend it must sit deep.

    Her Dad was an alcoholic, she said. Always punctual at work, never hitting anyone, no violence. Even said he wants no alcohol, but the mother always bought beer and that´s how it never ended.
    In GDR drinking was a problem, as they had not much else.
    When she told me... ow.
    My Dad drank beer and later in the evening schnapps to get tired. But he seldom was really that drunk, never in front of us kids.

    Hope this Mum get´s her ... together for her kids. And finds out what had happened.
    And that it won´t cost her job or pride altogether.

    I love a cool beer on a sunny, hot evening (and years ago at the Christmas market in the freezing cold we tried hot cherry-beer - was good!). Australia has excellent craft beers. I look forward to this.
    But stories like this make me very sad.
    If there is a follow up... I hope it´s a sober one.

    You did very, very well with this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I am sorry this brought up memories for you. My parents never drank much, certainly not enough to be drunk, but both my ex husbands were alcoholics, one has now stopped drinking, but the other still drinks but much less I think. Both of my sons drink too much but are still bale to do their jobs. I think this woman gets herself together and joins AA which is Alcoholics Anonymous, a therapy help group. I don't like beer at all, nor any other alcohol.

      Delete
    2. My memories ain´t that bad, I was rather shocked about what K told me, all good!

      Delete
  5. Bravo, River. Way to persevere and come up with another excellent story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Shife; thank you. When I began the words mostly typed themselves, but when I read it back just now, I see I based it just a little on a TV series I recently watched.

      Delete
  6. those are some bad beverages, sad family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; yes, but things get better for them.

      Delete
  7. You succeeded in making me feel her queasiness and headache and unsteadiness. I especially like the "slithering stomach" reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you, I'd hoped I was being descriptive enough. I've never had a hangover so don't really know what anyone feels going through one.

      Delete
  8. I never understood how this was considered "fun." I hope she figures things out and finds her way out of this type of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I've heard a few drinks with friends at parties can be fun, but when the alcohol takes over your life, that's not at all fun. I believe she will get out by joining AA very soon.

      Delete
  9. Ouch. I hope she pulls herself together. Drunk parents are so not fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; she does pull herself together, for her childrem and her career.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs