Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Wisewebwoman and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. smithereens 2. arch 3. magazine 4. outcome 5. income 

and/or: 

1. primrose 2. cormorant 3. boreen 4. lucidity 5. antagonism

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: fawn brown

Here is my story:

My neighbour Mae and I were companionably chatting as we folded clean dry clothes into our baskets from the communal lines. My back door slammed and my daughter Clarissa walked down the two concrete steps, fists clasped to her chest. A deep sigh emanated, then, “My heart is fragile glass, sometimes cracked, but never broken. Until now. Today it was smashed to smithereens.” She stood still and allowed a single tear to fall. Mae nudged me and whispered, “She’ll be a famous actress one day Kate, you just wait and see.”

“What happened today sweetie?” I asked. “Tony no longer likes me,” she said sadly. “Evelyn, she of the golden wavy hair and high income parents, brought chocolate fudge brownies to school today and Tony followed her all day with his tongue hanging out like a puppy.” Clarissa raised her eyes to the heavens and said, “Oh Lord, save me from men who think only with their stomachs.” She turned and marched back inside, running her hands through her fawn brown short cropped hair.

Mae was spluttering, trying hard not to laugh too much. “Men!” she said. “The child is barely nine years old! Wait until she learns that all men everywhere think with their stomachs, except for those hormonal teenage years.” Clarissa reappeared with her camera in hand. “I’ll take a little wander along the boreen, Mother, maybe I can get a decent photo of the cormorant who likes to sun his wings by the bridge. I need a really good shot to enter that magazine competition.” She passed under the arch that used to hold a gate which had long since rotted away and took several photos of the primrose beds before turning on to the boreen.

“I have to say Kate, Clarissa exhibits remarkable lucidity for a child her age, I think she is over her heartbreak already.”  “Maybe,” I said, “but there has been antagonism between her and Evelyn all year, since her parents moved her out of that fancy boarding school and into Clarissa’s classroom. I’ve heard from Sue in the next block, that Evelyn is also entering the magazine photo competition. The outcome from that should be interesting if either of them wins.” 


Comments

  1. Cameras at dawn for those two, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I expected this is delightful - and I can just picture it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, I like when people can picture my writings.

      Delete
  3. I am confident that Clarissa can outshoot Evelyn in a photo contest. She seems like a determined sort. Being rich doesn't give you an eye for photo composition, even though it might provide you with a chef to bake chocolate fudge brownies. Maybe Evelyn baked them herself, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; Evelyn would never get her soft white hands grubby, the brownies were bought from a bakery. I think Clarissa will learn to bake some herself and is definitely better with a camera than Evelyn.

      Delete
  4. Oh, fudge sound good. Sure glad I'm pass the teen years. Although my body had no ache and pain back them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; fudge does sound good and I think I will make some to take to the twins and their brothers for Christmas. My teenage years were fairly easy, but I wouldn't want to go back there.

      Delete
  5. Oh, River, I will never ever use communal lines again. In Madeley my underwear got stolen!
    LOL, men who think with their stomachs! Sadly Ingo is none of them them! Or is he??? I wrote goose, he bought duck for Christmas!!!
    Times have so changed (luckily???) - I must´ve been Clarissa´s age when I got my first cam - it was real film, every pic to take was to think over first!
    My parents were "so-called upper class" - I suffered a lot because of that. Although they were always giving to others and working real hard.
    Dad could afford a Mercedes cabriolet and only opened it when outside our little town cause he didn´t want to see people it´s a Cabrio. And yet, especially one teacher let me pay for them being successful. Long ago!

    Btw - do you have an ALDI near you? I saw in Joondalup/Perth they had German Christmas sweets, maybe you find Speculaas?
    I couldn´t believe it. 38C and there all those stollen etc sat!
    And what had I done???? I´d brought a Stollen for Sami (who lived in Braunschweig) all the way from Germany. D'oh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; before I moved here I heard stories about clothes being stolen and clothes being burned, but I found out the burning was a drunken jealous husband who was angry at his wife spending so much or something like that. I have never had anything stolen in twelve years here.
      My parents were poor working class, living from payday to payday and always coming up short and having to keep a "book" at the local shops, where you could buy stuff and they would write the cost in your book and each payday they paid off a little bit but never ever caught up. I promised myself I would never live like that and I haven't. I am still poor but don't owe any money.
      I do have an Aldi a bus ride away and can probably find Speculaas there, but sometimes Woolies has things like that on the "international" shelves in the corner of the store. I don't like Stollen.

      Delete
    2. Oh, boy, reckon that poor husband was drunken because of his wife! No excuse to burn clothes from others, though. The manager at the caravan park said there are many lonely men. No excuse, again!!
      My Mum grew up poor, too, so I never waste food and I always take care I have enough money. I always put not needed light out etc, etc... Ingo´s parents were poor, too, but "just" because they dared to build a house.
      Ingo just had stollen. I ... forgot about the Striezel!!! Thank you for the reminder!
      Hope you find the cookies!

      Delete
    3. You don't like Stollen? I sure do, and I am happy that even if our Aldi's all closed down in September (they did not make enough money) luckily Lidl is still around selling Stollen and Lebkuchen.
      I like your story, but I cannot relate. Whenever I read things like this, I always think I never was a teenager at all.
      I took lots and lots of photos, also of the "think and shoot" variety over the years. In the end I wore out the cog wheel pulling the film forward ;)

      Delete
    4. Charlotte; I am sorry to hear you were "never a teenager" and when I see movies with american teenagers doing so many fun things with little or no responsibility, I get to thinking I missed out too, because I had jobs as soons as I was old enough, then I married, probably too young, but that's what life dealt me and overall I'm happy. I never had a camera until after my third child and it didn't last long, film was too expensive. I got my first digital camera in 2008-9 and took hundreds of pictures.

      Delete
  6. Excellent words and they came together for a lovely story, River.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs