A little more about No Fixed Address Lane

 Copied from Google:

No Fixed Address is an Aboriginal Australian reggae rock group formed in 1979, and the first reggae rock group in Australia. They were also the first Aboriginal band to tour overseas and, in 2011, were inducted in the National Indigenous Music Awards Hall of Fame.

No Fixed Address was led by Bart Willoughby together with Ricky Harrison, Les Graham, and John Miller; and former members Nicky Moffatt and Rick Lovegrove (deceased). They all met and formed at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies in Music (CASM) at the University of Adelaide. Their 1982 album ‘From My Eyes’ was launched by the former Prime Minister, Bob Hawke.

On 25 March 2021, the laneway formally known as Lindes Lane was officially renamed No Fixed Address Lane in honour of the band and their contribution to music, politics and culture. It is a central, easily accessible place to celebrate Aboriginal living culture.

Wander the length of the laneway to take in the art mural depicting the band in their youth painted by artists Elizabeth Yanyi Close, Shane Mankitya Cook and Thomas Readett, which also features contemporary representations of the band's heritage, history and impact on the community and music scene.

No Fixed Address Lane is part of Adelaide's City of Music Laneways project, which honours the city's greatest musicians in a trail for fans and tourists across the CBD, paying homage to the acts' roots and impact.




Two photos of the boys in the band "No Fixed Address" taken from the google page.

Comments

  1. The City of Music Laneways Project sounds like another area of Adelaide innovation that I personally didn't know about so I hope it works well. No Fixed Address Lane fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting group. I would love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; they formed in 1979 and I don't know more than that. Maybe you could find some music on youtube? I haven't looked there yet.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this very interesting update. The band name says a lot doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I was looking for info about Lindes, wondering how that name came to be used, and this is what I found instead. The band name does say a lot, most indigenous tribes were wanderers.

      Delete
  4. Interesting information about the band. It is important that the street took the name of the complex as a tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerinas Blog; apparently there are several such lanes within the city, dedicated to music.

      Delete
  5. Of course. I had forgotten about the band. Thanks for the extra research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I never even knew about them before I found this last night.

      Delete
  6. An apt name indeed R. Never heard of the band, rather strange I thought but they seem to have done well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; I had never heard of them either, the first indigenous band I knew was Yothu Yindi and I have a couple of their songs on my playlists. But No Fixed Address was formed in 1979, a time when I lived in Sydney with three children so not a lot of time for listening to radio or TV. You can find them on youtube.

      Delete
  7. That is so interesting and good to see people/groups being honoured for their contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the extra information, I like stories of hometown boys making good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you - it´s always wonderful when ... you know. I saw the bad and the good, this is good, very good! And I´ve never heard of them. Fitting name, too. Yet, "We have survived" goes "against" the "white man/men"... but then I kinda understand.
    At "our" shopping center I always greeted. And was ignored. It´s still a long way...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs