Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. wife 2. comfort 3. time 4. book 5. doors 

and/or: 

1. certificate 2. appreciation 3. elephant 4. olive 5. major

also including Charlotte's colour of the month: water blue

Here is my story:

Gracie walked through the open double doors holding a blue frame, slightly water damaged, and containing a pale olive sheet of paper. “Grandpa,” she asked, who is Cecelia Everett-Smith?” Robert startled a little, just enough to spill some of his cup of tea. “Why do you ask?” he said. ‘We are clearing out the attic as you asked and found a lot of old papers and a Book about Elephants in the big black trunk. The one under the window and some rain must have got in at some time because this frame is damaged.”

“Show it to me,” said Robert. Gracie brought the frame to him and he stared at it glumly. ‘Who was she Grandpa?” Gracie asked again. “My wife,” said Robert. “My first wife. She died soon after receiving this Certificate of Appreciation from the Zoo where we met, she helped with the care of the elephants, every single day for years. That’s where I met her.”

“You have never mentioned her,” said Grace. “Not once.” “I thought it best,” said Robert. “There was an accident soon after our wedding, we were celebrating her getting this certificate and on the way home there was a storm and a tree was hit by lightning. It fell on our car, causing fairly major damage and Cee-Cee was in hospital for weeks. I spent time with her every day, but she didn’t wake up from her coma.”

“That’s terrible,” said Gracie, glancing back towards the doors where several cousins had gathered quietly to listen. “Your Grandma Helena was her nurse and talking with her every day gave me some small comfort as I sat with Cee-Cee and after the funeral we kept meeting and eventually married.” “But your name is not Everett-Smith,” said Gracie. “It was Cee-Cee’s name before we married and on the registration for Zoo volunteers, that’s why the certificate has it,” said Robert.

The cousins all moved into the room, ready to hear more and ask questions of this very old man, the last of the grandparents.


Comments

  1. I am glad that this mystery has come to light - and that Grandpa is ready to talk about it. This is an intriguing snippet. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; this was an unplanned story, I had no idea where it would go, so I'm happy it turned out well. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. A very entertaining and touching story, River. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Shife; thank you, it wrote itself mostly.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it's hard to share such things, I'm glad he was finally ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I don't think he was ready, he'd forgotten about all the things stashed in the black trunk, but now he can probably talk about those times.

      Delete
  4. Wow. You not only reminded me that my colleague asked about our piano, but I have tears in my eyes, too.
    Bitter-sweet story, wonderful! You really should publish a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; thank you. I don't think I can do a book, only these bits and pieces of stories.

      Delete
    2. And them added can make a book of short stories!
      See. Grade 7 it was, I reckon. Our English teacher was from Great Britain (you start learning English in grade 5, so we were not really "good").
      He, his name is Peter May and Ingo said later there even was a mural of Peter (or, Mr. May) in my school), greeted us in German and said these are the last words in German spoken when he is around!
      The school book was B.O.R..I.N.G!!!!
      Mr. May got us a little, yellow book each with "Surprising Stories" and even those who hated to learn English happily in their free time ate it up!
      You could help like that, also, publishing your short stories!
      I sure will buy two - one for myself and one for Peter May!
      In the language lab we listened to Rock Music, btw.

      Delete
  5. Excellent story. I loved it, where you started it and where the story ended up! Thank you very much🧡!! How many different things can be written with these words! I'll try it over the weekend and get back with a link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina's Blog; thank you. i like writing these short stories. Sometimes they almost write themselves.

      Delete
  6. Sweet story. I sure think you can write a book! following where the prompst lead can be pure relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. I've read that books need beginnings, endings and middles, which I can do, but they also need conflict and resolution, which I can't do.

      Delete
  7. Hey River! You're very good at these!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote a story on my blog with these words and color. I also made an image with AI to enrich it.
    https://peripetiazois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. While sad that Cee-Cee died, I am relieved that her demise had nothing to do with an elephant! That was my fear when I read "accident."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs