Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. feather 2. bookstore 3. comfortably 4. money 5. deliver 

and/or: 

1. exquisite 2. nudge 3. key 4. stepped 5. world

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: water blue

Here is my story:

Eleanor and Cassie each took a brand new feather duster and stepped into the viewing room where items to be auctioned later that morning were spread along tables covered with white cloths. They flicked their dusters over antique toys, trays of worn but still beautiful silver cutlery, even a complete setting of water blue dinnerware edged in gold, then Cassie gave Eleanor a small nudge. “Look at this Tea and Coffee set, isn’t it just exquisite?” Eleanor agreed, “it’s so delicate, the roses seem to almost be alive and these cups are so lightweight,” she said after carefully holding one for a few seconds. “I wonder where in the world it has come from?”

“We’ll probably never know,” said Cassie, but I bet I know who will buy it.” “Who?” said Eleanor. “Mr. Breaker,” said Cassie, “the one who bought the old mansion just outside of town. His wife is turning it into a museum and I bet she wants this in the dining room.” “How do you know?” said Eleanor. “I heard mum talking to Tom Everett who is working on the gardens there, he says the Breakers want to restore it as closely as possible to what it was a hundred years ago.”

They finished their dusting and stood for a while watching as a couple of young men arranged furniture items in the next room and began a final polishing of all surfaces. Eleanor sighed, “I wish I had enough money to bid on that dresser,” she said. “It would be perfect beside that big old bed Grandma gave me when she moved into the nursing home.” “The cherrywood or the mahogany?” said Cassie, who liked to show off her knowledge. “The mahogany,” said Eleanor. “It would be a good match,” said Cassie. “Come on, let’s lock up now and get to the bookstore.” They pulled the double doors closed and locked them with Eleanor’s key.

They soon arrived at the bookstore and headed into the café area where both of them worked on weekends. Today being Friday, they sat comfortably at one of the tables while Mary brought them toasted ham and cheese sandwiches and milkshakes. Chocolate for Cassie and vanilla for Eleanor. “After this, shall we see if the latest fiction novels have been delivered?” said Eleanor. “Definitely,” said Cassie. “I’m dying to know what’s happening in the ‘Windswept Manor’ series.


Comments

  1. Great story, use of the words! I could see them enjoying the objects. Going to the bookstore is a perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; thank you. Going to bookstores is always my last stop so I can stay there longer because I don't need to rush and be somewhere else.

      Delete
  2. As always, thank you sharing with us, River. Your Wednesday's Words on a Friday is fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always your small windows into the lives of ordinary people living not so ordinary lives is a delight to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you, this one was fun to write.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you for the words :)

      Delete
  5. Once I found a feather in a battered copy of "Wuthering Heights" that I picked up in a secondhand bookstore. I can say quite comfortably that it was peacock feather. I handed over my money as the eccentric bookshop proprietor started to deliver a rant about "Amazon".
    The feather was quite exquisite . It seemed to nudge some old memories like a key turning a lock in a garden door. I stepped through and found myself in another world. The edges of the path were a haze of tiny water blue flowers and ahead there was a pergola where someone was waiting, waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; this is lovely, thank you.

      Delete
  6. This made me smile... bitter-sweet. Each Thursday I drove to my parent´s home to clean out with my Brother. We found some "treasures", the best was sparkling wine customers presented them with - they didn´t like it - Bro and I shared in memories of our parents (I was sober at the end of the day to drive home!!!).
    Here´s my story:

    Ingo got up early to drive to work as volunteer to practice for The Little Giant Girl - I was not allowed to join, it was all top secret till the BIG weekend in 2015.
    I slept in a bit and felt like a light feather, then went to Perth´s CBD myself - to Elizabeth´s book store, of course, and for little money they delivered a second hand book about Anthony Bourdain.
    Stepped to the Supreme Court Gardens and comfortably put myself into the grass to read. An exquisite way and key to spend a day in this wonderful world, don´t you think? Sometimes you need a little nudge to be THAT lazy and enjoy life, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; an excellent little story, and better because it is true. I did part of the clean out for my dad's home and brother got a truck for the big stuff, but I wasn't able to get to Mum's place four years later so brother did all that on his own and brought a few things to me.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, River - oh, that is sad. The cleaning out together was... awful but made us being even closer at the time and it helped accepting our parents are gone. At least you got some things! To Brothers!

      Delete
  7. "toasted ham and cheese sandwiches and milkshakes."
    Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; go and cook yourself a snack. Or dinner.

      Delete
  8. You had me at, bookstore. Only the best place ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Happy Whisk; I love bookstores, especially the old secondhand bookstores.

      Delete
  9. Can't go wrong with a toasted ham and cheese, milkshake, and a new book! Plus a friend who shares your interests, and has good "gossip" about the new old-mansion owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; it's the trifecta plus one. These two girls have grown up together(in my mind), since meeting at their first day at school aged five.

      Delete
  10. It's wonderful when such beautiful old items are given new life by people who enjoy them. Fun use of the prompts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs