Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Charlotte and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. fish 2. kettle 3. black 4. human 5. cloister 6. serene 

and/or: 

1. flagstone 2. quarry 3. bush 4. rowan 5. Finnish 6. mango

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month which is Light Ivory for July


Here is my story:

“There you are Naomi, where have you been all afternoon?”

“Didn’t Rebecca tell you? I have been visiting Sister Charlotte in the cloister, we talked so much, she is the most serene human I have ever met.”

“She is the very old Finnish nun isn’t she?” “Yes Mum,” said Naomi, “she was in a sunny spot where the rowan trees are and it has been newly paved with light ivory flagstones, it is so pretty there. She was eating fruit when I arrived and she cut a slice of mango for me to try.”

“That was very nice of her, now go and find your sister, I want to know why she didn’t tell me where you were.” Naomi went in search of Rebecca and found her cutting half-open blooms from the rose bush. “Mum wants to see you, she says you didn’t tell her where I was going.” “Oh no! I forgot!” said Rebecca. “I have a list of chores to cross off as I do them, my punishment for forgetting something else last week,” she said ruefully.

“I expect you have too much on your mind with Susannah’s wedding coming soon and you being head bridesmaid,” said Naomi. “Where did she meet this Jacob anyway?” “She went with Dad to the old quarry, he wanted to discuss something with Old Mr Benjamin and Jacob was just home from college and as soon as they saw each other, both say they heard wedding bells right away.”

“Well that’s romantic for sure, but go and explain to mum now. I have to get the big black kettle ready for the fish stew Mum wants to make tomorrow.”


Comments

jabblog said…
Poor Rebecca, with her head in the clouds.
Jenn Jilks said…
This is a fun challenge!
Poor Rebecca indeed. I suspect she will get some extra jobs to do for this act of forgetfulness.
River said…
jabblog; Rebeccas has her head on weddings and will be fine once Susannah's is over.

Jenn Jilks; it is fun, maybe you could join us sometimes?

Elephant's Child; She will get extra jobs, but easy things like cutting roses for the house vases. She just has her head centred on the upcoming wedding.
messymimi said…
It's hard to remember to tell your mother things when your mind is on romance. Nice use of the prompts!
River said…
messymimi;thank you. Rebecca has never been a bridesmaid so she is understandably "head in the clouds".
Iris Flavia said…
As you can guess I can not join you with these words....
Your story came out great!
Oh, poor Rebecca, all those chores!
I was just the witness at my Brother´s wedding. I insisted he´s named Thomas when he was born.
Dad took it as second name and at the wedding the pastor mixed it up. I tried very hard not to laugh.
"Will you, Thomas K..." Hups. My bad...
Margaret D said…
Oh dear me..nice story though R.
River said…
Iris; really not too many chores, just a few things that don't need much thought, her mum knows her mind is on the wedding.

Margaret D; thank you.
Katerinas Blog said…
Very beautiful story with weddings, flowers, bridesmaids and jobs.
I loved the use of the word convent with the old nun, it gave some nice imagery to your story!
Mike said…
Why was she cutting half-open blooms from the rose bush? Let them bloom!
I think you should make this into a book. These characters really come to life!
Val said…
I guess Rebecca should have added word of Naomi's visit to her list! It's hard to remember everything, but there are worse things she could have been doing (or not doing).
River said…
Katerinas blog; thank you.

Mike; they were open enough to finish opening inside in a vase for a table centrepiece for an afternoon tea gathering next day.

MMM; I don't think I could. Short pieces seem to suit me best.

Val; adding it to her list might have helped, but I think her mother wrote the list.
As usual I like your story. Those small slices of lives, as if looking thorugh a window on other peoples' lives. I like this very much.
River said…
Charlotte; thank you. I like these small slices too.

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs