Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Charlotte and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. building 2. tailfeather 3. trees 4. metal 5. cloak 6. linen 

and/or: 

1. boots 2. ring 3. spirit 4. opera mints 5. phone 6. whole

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: light ivory

Here is my story.

The light ivory linen curtain was yanked aside rather roughly to reveal a slightly wobbly stage setting with artificial trees in pots fronting a cardboard building decorated to resemble a castle. The foreground “lake” looked suspiciously like the Jeffries’ toddler pool and the bridge spanning it was a bright red Japanese style (“last seen on Keisha’s Koi pond” whispered Carl.)

A shout rang out and a small band of warriors ran onto the stage from either side, boots stamping as the ferocious frowns of small boys glared at each other. Cloaks were billowing in assorted colours and fabrics and soon the clang of (blunt) metal swords and shields was heard as the opposing nations “fought” each other.

“My men are far stronger and victory shall be ours!” came from one of the larger warriors whose “crown” was adorned with the tailfeather of an eagle, then, “hey Susie, don’t you dare eat all those opera mints!” as that same warrior sent a fierce glare into the audience.

Khoral Kai had to turn away and stifle his laugh. With just a little guidance from him, these small boys had planned this historical battle almost completely on their own.

From the opposing warriors came “the spirit of our ancestors will ring true and the castle shall be ours!” Then young Freddy tripped and fell into the “lake” as he tried to avoid the squirt of tomato sauce that would indicate a wound and the battle was over as everyone fell about laughing.

“It’s a shame the Tourist Bus Ladies couldn’t make it,” said Barry Jeffries. “Never mind,” said his wife Joan, “I have the whole thing recorded on my phone, we can show them next week at the Spring Market.”


Comments

  1. That took me right back to my teaching days. 'If it can go wrong, it will' but the parents always loved whatever they saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; little kids onstage are always fun to see even if things go wrong.

      Delete
  2. Love it - and it is good to see Khoral Kai back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Khoral Kai popped in by accident, I hadn't planned that sentence, but it worked well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Margaret D; thank you, found you in spam.

      Delete
  4. I missed Khoral Kai! What a sweet story! Funny, talked about this with my Brother today! We have the "largest history festival in Northern Germany" in my old home town and now they hire real actors, how "sad". When I was a kid it was all done by the people of our little city and the surrounding villages..... My Brother and his family still take part as musketeers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; can you go to this festival and take photos? I would love to see some. I think things are more fun when they are done by local people and not real actors. I didn't plan fpr Khoral Kai to be in this, he just popped in all by himself.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure all of our ancestor fought in tribal wars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; yes all over the world since time began I think.

      Delete
  6. Walking towards my new office building, I found the tailfeather of a hawk under trees that lined the edge of the park beyond green metal boundary fencing. I was wearing my black cloak - the one that has an Irish linen collar. My boots were made of Spanish leather. For luck, I also wore my grandmother's ruby ring. I felt her spirit with me and remembered how she kept a tin of opera mints next to her phone which on the whole was light ivory in colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; welcome back. I like this little story, thank you.

      Delete
  7. You certainly set the stage! I could see it all in my head. I love the kiddie pool and koi bridge imagery. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you. I really had no idea where the story was going when I began.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet story. Have you ever thought about illustrating them? You have a great gift of pulling us right into your stories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs