Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Charlotte and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. agile 2. bleak 3. comfort 4. dull 5. even 6. full

and: a photo which I have included.

Also included is Charlotte's colour of the month: light ivory

Here is my story:

I sat unnoticed in a sunny corner of the terrace as the crowd of young men sipped their beers and told their tales of daring and bravado. Skiing the toughest slopes, whitewater rafting, riding camels across a desert, skydiving, even mountain climbing, and here I listened more closely.

I’d been a mountain climber myself, many, many years ago. Long before so much of the now essential safety equipment was invented. When reaching the top was a goal, not ‘reaching the top in the fastest time’ as these young men now told it. When had speed overtaken the pleasure of careful planning, of slow and steady climbing? I wanted to speak up, but also didn’t want to intrude.

I sat silent in my wheelchair, my once agile legs now still, and blessed the comfort a warm blanket could bring. Even the colour was comforting, a light ivory with narrow sea green stripes. As the young men cleared away their debris and returned the beer glasses to the bar, my mind returned to that final rocky peak. It has an official name but to me it will always be Solomon’s Sorrow, named thus by the crew who had climbed with me on that fateful day. Keith Solomon, who had reached the peak first and had somehow fallen.

We had retraced our steps, silent all the way down and reached him just before he died. His badly broken body convulsed as he took those final breaths, asking us to “please tell Janet I love her” and his wish to have his ashes scattered from that same peak. Two months after, I had stood on the peak myself, looking across the bleak landscape as I scattered the ashes, knowing Janet’s future was now just as bleak, as was mine. Keith had been my brother.

Aged ninety now, my life was dull compared to way back then, routines were even with few surprises, but my mind, my memory cache, was full. So full. I turned and smiled at Janet who had met me here today, to share one last lunch before she moved to a care home closer to her children and grandchildren. The mini bus would soon arrive to take me back to my own care home, we wouldn’t see each other again. 





Comments

  1. Such a touching story. When we see older people, we cannot always imagine them as young and full of energy. Lovely work:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; thank you. I do sometimes wonder what their lives have been, but can't picture old people as the young ones they were. Stories and photos would help.

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a cold 🍺 on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; cold water for me, I don't drink beer or any other alcohol.

      Delete
  3. Sad, and lovely. I am glad that he and Janet stayed in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you. I am glad too, though it must have been hard at first.

      Delete
  4. Never underestimate what adventurous memories might lie beneath the gray hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; so many must have great stories to tell, but too few have someone to listen.

      Delete
  5. Yes, the old were young too once, and did daredevilish, stupid or wise things, just like young ones do. I wonder with her "When had speed overtaken the pleasure of careful planning, of slow and steady" and wish her well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I wonder at the speed everything is done these days, nobody seems to take the time to enjoy what they do, it's all rush rush rush to get it done, get there, get home.

      Delete
  6. Wow. A great, rich story. I know why I don´t like climbing, but then you could slip anywhere and break your neck....
    I hope if I get that old I still remember every wonderful part of my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I want to remember everything when I am old too. I always liked climbing and spent a good part of my childhood up in trees.

      Delete
    2. My grandmothers (both) suffered Alzheimer´s. What is the chance I remember anything... I was never in a tree, my FIL was as kid, fell, hurt himself badly, told the story so quirky I thought it´s a joke. Wasn´t.... embarrassing... Oh, boy, that was really not good. But he always makes jokes I don´t get.

      Delete
  7. Everybody has a past. Some more interesting or tragic than others. The young beer-drinkers would be astounded to learn of those experiences, if they could only realize their own mortality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I wish the older man had asked to join the conversation, but he had his friend Janet with him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs