Wednesday's Words on a Friday
Charlotte's colour of the month is Steel Blue. I wonder what next month's colour will be?
The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.
The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.
This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here as well as on my blog
This week's words/prompts are:
1.attention 2.vague 3.orbit 4.game 5.think 6.insistence
and/or:
1.single 2.brand 3.barrel 4.bless 5.stake 6.cap
Here is my very-short-written-in-a-hurry story:
My attention had been scattered all day, my mind had been off in its own orbit for several hours at a time. When Mr Creek slammed his hand on my desk and demanded an answer, I blurted out "Cracker-Barrel Brand Cheese." I saw his mouth twitch as several classmates giggled helplessly. He glanced around and the giggles subsided.
"Have you heard even a single word I've been saying?" he asked. My answer was vague. "I think I heard something about a stake," I said. "Joan of Arc?" I asked. "History is not a game," Mr Creek said. "Get your thinking cap on and pay attention!"
The insistence in his voice might have been harsh, but there was a gentleness beneath it. He'd seen me at the funeral last week, sobbing helplessly, a complete wreck, as Father Mark uttered the words "Bless this soul Dear Lord" as the casket with my best friend was lowered into the ground.
The rest of the class had been there too, but none had been as close to "Smitty Blacksmith" as I had. Mr Creek's steel blue eyes gentled as he quietly said, "pay attention, stay with us now."
Comments
Post a Comment