Sunday Selections # 240



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
  Andrew often joins in too.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I have: 
winter garden photos.

bare branches against a wintry sky

birch branches I believe, this one looks better in real life

another bare tree

no bare branches here, the white tree you see is spring blossom covered.

this white cedar tree is close to my home and hangs over a significant amount of the driveway.

it is covered in small yellow berries right now.

when the leaves begin, the berries will fall, making a heck of a mess and endangering all who walk there. It's so easy to slip on them, I always take the long way around, going by road instead of through the driveway.

someone's kangaroo paws are way ahead of mine

here's a paw, close up.

gorgeous purple pea flowers on someone's polygala shrub.

the sea of green is agapanthus, behind a lovely stand of kniphofia, (red hot pokers)

here's one close up, they come in brilliant red too.

this is the whole bed, there's another smaller bed on the other side of the path.

something purple near one of 'my' bus stops. I've heard it called 'creeping moses' and 'moses in a basket', but I don't know what it is. 

this is what the tiny flowers look like. Like any succulent, pieces broken off and planted will grow. Did I take a piece? You betcha.

this bright green beauty is Euphorbia, also called Spurge.

looking down into one of the flower heads.

before the flower heads appeared, I broke off two tiny tip cuttings, about two inches long. I have them in a pot and they have tiny new growth at the tip. I'll plant them out in larger pots when the weather warms and keep them in the shade for a year.

purple statice growing in the gardens here.

watsonia blossom, still in bud, it should be open next week and I'll get another photo then. These are bulbs and I might just dig up a couple and bring them home. They clump and spread, so I'll keep them in a large pot. These are in my daughter's garden.

pale yellow wattle. You'll notice they're not the usual round golden balls of wattle and the scent is delicate and sweet. I'll get photos of the darker wattles as I find them, I may have to walk a while.....























Comments

  1. I like the distant and then close up views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your winter garden shots. And blown away at how much more advanced Spring is over there. Red-hot pokers are summer bloomers here. Ditto kangaroo paws.
    Our euphorbia is out though. And spring blossoms are starting to emerge.
    Have you seen the red wattle? A pretty thing, but it just seems 'wrong' to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is such beauty in bare trees. We used to snap off the pokers when we were kids and chase each other, attempting a hit. As EC says, things happen much earlier in your city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stark dramatic appearance of winter trees, and have lots of pictures of them. But even more, I love seeing your first signs of spring popping up. Such a beautiful time of year. It's still pretty darned hot here, (just over ninety degrees F today) but before too long, our trees will be putting on their fall colors before stripping naked for us. (the hussies!)

    Have a super weekend. (Hot diggity!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dare to be bare!! A lovely array of photos again, River. Brightness to lighten up our days.

    That's a Moses in a Basket (spathacea), I think (I could very well be wrong). However, the Creeping Moses plant is green.

    Your own garden will be stirring into life now, too, I imagine. That Euphorbia/Spurge is quite stunning.

    I hope you have a great week ahead...cuddles to Angel. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bare trees--in winter. How nice they have leaves in summer. The flowers in bloom are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of our trees are full of new green leaves but our maple is still very naked.
    This are great shots lots of colours on the ground even if the sky shots are still bare.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Euphorbia. I have never seen that before. :) We went to the garden centre yesterday and there were some interesting new things there.

    Here is my post for the week - Sunday Selections Week 36

    ReplyDelete
  9. joeh; I like people to be able to see the details I see.

    fishducky; macro is still my favourite setting.

    Elephant's Child; our winters are warmer and drier than yours, so spring gets going a bit earlier. Red wattle?

    Andrew; I only saw pokers in private gardens when In was a kid in Port Pirie, never close enough to see them properly.

    Susan; We don't get much autumn colour here, it's too warm. In the nearby hills there are places that blaze with oranges, reds and yellows. I should get up there one year with my camera.

    Lee; I'll have to google for the creeping moses and see just what it is. I hope my garden gets a move on soon, I'm impatient for the succulents to start spreading. I know that won't happen much this summer, but a little spread would be nice. A lot of things have been set back by the woolly bear caterpillars stripping all the leaves :(

    Joanne; in summer the shade under those same trees is more welcome than any colourful flower.

    Merle; there are trees quite near me that have tiny new leaves of bright, bright green. I should get my camera up there before they get too big and darken.

    Snoskred; Euphorbia is blooming all over Adelaide right now, some in colours I've only seen before google.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A few years ago a red flowering wattle was made available to the public. I am still not certain how I feel about it. Wattle, at least in my head, is yellow. This link will take you to pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's quite pretty, but like you, wattle to me is golden. The article mentions a cinnamon scent, I'd love to have that scent in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the bare trees against the sky, but NOTHING beats that awesome RED Kangaroo Paw!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Red; nice to see you here! The kangaroo paws are in my daughter's yard; I have some too, but not as many flowers, hers got started quite early on. K only has red ones, I have some red and some the traditional red&green.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good selection of colour and the bare trees, won't be long now and those trees will have their leaves....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spring is gently arriving here too.
    I'm an autumn/winter lover and deciduous branches are very beautiful and sculptural - as yours show here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What strange and exotic plants! And you've just captured the most vibrant bits of them. So clear. You should make post cards of some of your plants and all. They are very good pics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such lovely photos - and now I finally know what wattle looks like! Thanks for providing the names of some of the plants.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs