Sunday Selections # 346

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.


Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.


If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


you might find this week's selection a little boring, it's just a couple of things I did in the kitchen:

what to do with left over vegetables?   Slice them finely, set aside. In a bowl whisk together two eggs and enough flour to make a smooth batter, not too thin, you should be able to pour it. Whisk in a good amount of grated parmesan, stir in the vegetables, pour the whole mix into a non stick shallow baking dish, top with extra grated cheese and bake at about 180C-200C until golden brown and set.

it should look like this and serve two people. of course you should adjust the amounts of egg and flour if you are feeding more people.

half for dinner and the other half for breakfast the next day.

I bought a package of green beans, many more than shown here, the pack was on special for half price, I rinsed them and tossed any that weren't so good

sliced them all, this is about half,

blanched them in boiling water for one minute, drained them well

and spread them on a non-stick tray and put them in the freezer. They should be spaced out in a single layer for faster freezing and so the don't stick together.

once frozen, loosen them with a plastic scoop so you don't scratch your tray, work quickly so they don't thaw,

bag them in zip-lock bags and get them back in the freezer. Next weekend I'll be doing the same with a bag of carrots.

Then I sat around doing stuff on the computer

and watched Lola sleep,

and sleep (kitty paws!)

and sleep 😎

here she is just yesterday morning, trying to decide if she forgives me for man-handling her into the carrier and taking her to the vet who stuck a thermometer you-know-where. She also got a shot for her allergies and we now know that our sweet Lola has IBS :(

We'll finish with a couple of pictures sent by no-one

this fabulous carved wood dragon seat that lives outside a butcher's shop/residence somewhere in Germany. She found it via Tumblr

and a sunset that greeted her as she walked home.











Comments

  1. Ohh, I love that veggie pie and think I will try it. My brother hates veggies but will eat anything in a crust. Cats are sleep masters--I am so jealous. They don't even have to be comfortable to catch some winks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; there's no crust on this 'pie', it's just the veggies and cheese in the egg/flour mixture, baked in a non stick pan, and totally yummy.
      I wish I could curl up anywhere and catch forty winks like cats do, but I'm just not flexible enough. I can sit back in my chair here and catch a nap though and that's almost as good.

      Delete
  2. Your veggie dish looks very similar to the frittatas I often made (though I don't add flour). Yum.
    Lola is a beauty, and I am sure she has forgiven you for the trip to the vet. Years back one of our cats stuck his head between his legs in shock to see what the vet was doing when his temperature was taken. As the vet said 'he was not that sort of boy'.
    LOVE that chair your daughter found. I could find a home for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I add the flour because usually my leftovers are roasted veg and they can be a little oily, so the flour soaks that up. I'm pretty sure Lola has forgiven me, she's just been up here for a head scratch.
      That seat is really gorgeous isn't it? Me and JahTeh both want one and now you too. As soon as I win lotto I'll find someone to carve us each one and Merle too.

      Delete
  3. Veggie/eggie pie sounds wonderful and I just love Lola's little white feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; the pie is a nice way to use up left over veg, although mashed veg doesn't work so well as sliced leftovers. If you have left over ham or bacon, that goes well in it too. I love white kitty feet :)

      Delete
  4. I would love that dragon in my garden.
    Cats and vets they don't really like each other much.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; I'll add you to my list to get a dragon seat as soon as I win Lotto :)

      Delete
  5. Poor little Lola. I'm sure with your careful monitoring and that of the vet's of her dietary requirements etc., and perhaps with some antibiotics if they become necessary, her problem will be controlled simply and quickly.

    You and I must have been of like mind this week, River...a couple of days ago I made a similar "frittata" to the one you made! :)

    I hope you and the lovely Lola have a wonderful week...give her an extra-special hug for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; no antibiotics. The vet did say they'd be a good idea, but there's no way I can get tablets into her. She's onto all the usual tricks, so finding the correct diet is going to be our game for the next few weeks. She's also more amenable to hugs now that she isn't headachy from hayfever. She had a second shot for that yesterday, a stronger dose to last longer.

      Delete
  6. That looks delicious! I just gave a leftover bowl of sliced carrots to the dogs last night for their evening snack. They loved them, though, because they'd been cooked with strips of bacon on top.

    Sweet kitty paws! I have an outside tabby with four white feet. I don't know how she keeps them so bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; it was delicious, sometimes I squirt a bit of tomato sauce across the top, usually not though. All the dogs I ever owned liked carrots too, usually they were in left over beef stew. But I've never known any dog that ate peas. Even in a stew they would spit them out.
      Angel had white paws too and they were so bright until he began going outside, then they had a permanent grey tinge from the garden. Lola prefers being inside, so her feet will stay white.

      Delete
  7. That dish sounds very good, I like all of the ingredients so I know that it tasted really good.

    Lola is sure looking well I am glad that she is part of your life now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy; with that dish you can use any left over veggies you have, I think that one was carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, peas and corn.Maybe a white potato was in there too. I always roast more than I need so I can make this the next day.
      Lola is more comfortable here now, she plays with toys, chasing balls all over until they are all marooned under the couch or bed, then I get up and retrieve them all.

      Delete
  8. I knew to blanch the beans before freezing, but not to freeze them first before packing them. It makes sense, and for other vegetables too. Everytime I read Lola's name, I think I could come up with a Barry Manilow style of appropriate lyrics. I haven't yet. Her name was Lola, she was a....... It seems we both had photos of carved wood today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the first line. Her name was Lola, she was a dozer.

      Delete
    2. Andrew; "her name is Lola, she's NOT a showgirl..."

      Delete
  9. Love you, dear...
    and I'll see you Upstairs someday.
    trustNjesus.
    ALWAYS.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you, dear...
    and I'll see you Upstairs someday.
    trustNjesus.
    ALWAYS.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs